Spoiler alert - USA vs. Japan soccer | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Spoiler alert - USA vs. Japan soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I watched Pardon the Interruption and the guys didn't think the team deserved the win given the bad calls vs. Canada and missed hand ball and take down in box vs. Japan today.

I thought Japan played a very beautiful team possession and passing game, but they came up short having individual talent to score - and bad luck hitting cross bar. Japan was also lucky not to score on own goal.

Canada gave up 3 leads too.

So, do we deserve the Gold??

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I watched Pardon the Interruption and the guys didn't think the team deserved the win given the bad calls vs. Canada and missed hand ball and taken down in box vs. Japan today.

I thought Japan played a very beautiful team possession and passing game, but they came up short having individual talent to score - and bad luck hitting cross bar. Japan was also lucky not to score on own goal.

Yes. The calls vs Canada were bad but the US took advantage of the opportunities it was given and coming back three time and winning in OT is what great teams do. Winners are often asked to overcome adversity (e.g., bad calls) and Canada wasn't able to do that.

Japan is an outstanding team but the US was slightly better today.

Reaction Score
I watched Pardon the Interruption and the guys didn't think the team deserved the win given the bad calls vs. Canada and missed hand ball and take down in box vs. Japan today.

The race is not always to the swift...we deserve it...

Reaction Score

It was an excellent soccer game. However, it is hard not to think Japan did not get screwed by the refs today. Both the obvious handball and tackle in the box to prevent the goal should be penalty kicks. Japan played excellent. I thought they passed better, were quicker and attacked better. They just could not finish. On the other hand, USA took advantage on most of its opportunities and scored.

USA also got some very lucky calls against Canada. Both games were by no means dominating efforts. USA was very lucky to win both games. There will be bad calls in sports. In this case, both went USA's way. People need to remember that next time when calls go against the USA in the future.

Reaction Score
It was an excellent soccer game. However, it is hard not to think Japan did not get screwed by the refs today. Both the obvious handball and tackle in the box to prevent the goal should be penalty kicks. Japan played excellent. I thought they passed better, were quicker and attacked better. They just could not finish. On the other hand, USA took advantage on most of its opportunities and scored.

USA also got some very lucky calls against Canada. Both games were by no means dominating efforts. USA was very lucky to win both games. There will be bad calls in sports. In this case, both went USA's way. People need to remember that next time when calls go against the USA in the future.

Calls go for you sometimes and against you other times. The same can be said for the way the ball bounces in such a low-scoring sport. When teams go through tournaments like this undefeated...that is a measure of dominance for all the same reasons...

Reaction Score
Calls go for you sometimes and against you other times. The same can be said for the way the ball bounces in such a low-scoring sport. When teams go through tournaments like this undefeated...that is a measure of dominance for all the same reasons...

Here is news for you: Had those non-calls went against USA and USA lost because of them, there will be bunch of very pissed people degrading Japanese team/players all over the Internet. USA was very lucky to win both games. That Nike T-shirt at end of the game was totally un-called for. I am sure the team knows how lucky they are winning the gold. Domination? not even close.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Here is news for you: Had those non-calls went against USA and USA lost because of them, there will be bunch of very pissed people degrading Japanese team/players all over the Internet. USA was very lucky to win both games. That Nike T-shirt at end of the game was totally un-called for. I am sure the team knows how lucky they are winning the gold. Domination? not even close.
Problem is that with only one official there will always be issues of angles and being screened from plays. The mutliple cameras catch everything but a single official cannot.

Reaction Score
Here is news for you: Had those non-calls went against USA and USA lost because of them, there will be bunch of very pissed people degrading Japanese team/players all over the Internet.

I love news...sounds like you are one of the pissed-off variety...but better to be pissed off than pissed on, I always say! ;)

USA was very lucky to win both games.

Agree for Canada...not so much for Japan.

That Nike T-shirt at end of the game was totally un-called for.

Agreed.

I am sure the team knows how lucky they are winning the gold.

Agreed.

Domination? not even close.

Don't be pissed off, but I beg to differ...the Canada match was tight with neither side dominating. The Japan match was more a polemic on the perils of sitting on a lead. Solo's performance was dominating IMHO, and the undefeated run through the field was a measure of dominance...my earlier point!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Problem is that with only one official there will always be issues of angles and being screened from plays. The mutliple cameras catch everything but a single official cannot.
Well they actually have 3 (and a 4th). But sure you get game officials angles and positioning in every sport.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
USA also got some very lucky calls against Canada.
So did Canada. And the ones you are probably thinking of weren't as lucky as you think.

Both games were by no means dominating efforts.
Nope. And against the best competition in the world, I would not expect it. These teams (USA, Japan, Germany, France, Brazil sometimes, are all fairly close).

There will be bad calls in sports. In this case, both went USA's way.
Eh, nope.

People need to remember that next time when calls go against the USA in the future.
USA has had plenty of bad calls go against them over the years.

Reaction Score

The two Assistant Referees have the right to flag any handling that they see when the Center Referee is screened. In this case, however, the near AR likely had a worse view than the CR.

Reaction Score
In a game like soccer, where each goal is so important, I think some form of video review is warranted. Winning because of missed or incorrect calls cheapens the victory.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well they actually have 3 (and a 4th). But sure you get game officials angles and positioning in every sport.
Absolutely, but with only one official the odds increase dramatically, especially, in a crowded box and, also, on a field with the size and space of a soccer field. It is a question of balance.

My overall point, however, was that the quantity of cameras in contrast to the single official makes creates the impression that an official could see the violation and didn't call it. When the likelihood given the number of bodies on the field and potential for obstruction doesn't mean the official blew a call but rather simply did not see it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The two Assistant Referees have the right to flag any handling that they see when the Center Referee is screened. In this case, however, the near AR likely had a worse view than the CR.
Exactly, since they are not free to move on the field and are anchored where they are.

Reaction Score
Congrats to the USA. I wasn't as enamored with the team, for Hope Solo's comments I thought were way out of line, especially at the Olympics.... but OK.... I think this team was in the "Look at ME!" phase, just as the 110 meter hurdlers were (I felt sorry for Lolo Jones..... being the recipient of attention was a natural thing).... To see USA soccer win I thought it was Villanova beating Gerogetown. In reality the USA was supposed to win, just as Geno's team is assumed the gold.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My overall point, however, was that the quantity of cameras in contrast to the single official makes creates the impression that an official could see the violation and didn't call it. When the likelihood given the number of bodies on the field and potential for obstruction doesn't mean the official blew a call but rather simply did not see it.
Agreed.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In a game like soccer, where each goal is so important, I think some form of video review is warranted. Winning because of missed or incorrect calls cheapens the victory.
It's very old fashioned and hard to change. But they are supposed to use some sort of goal line technology for goals soon. Of course that's just for the major leagues and tournaments. But that's where most of the noticeable stuff is anyway. (i.e. stuff people care about)

Having video replay for normal run of play stuff though is tough since play is so fluid. It's not like other sports with lots of starts and stops available for review time. They do use some in Rugby though, so that's something they should look at. Gotta get rid of Sepp Blatter though for any real changes to take place.

Reaction Score
It's very old fashioned and hard to change. But they are supposed to use some sort of goal line technology for goals soon. Of course that's just for the major leagues and tournaments. But that's where most of the noticeable stuff is anyway. (i.e. stuff people care about)

Having video replay for normal run of play stuff though is tough since play is so fluid. It's not like other sports with lots of starts and stops available for review time. They do use some in Rugby though, so that's something they should look at. Gotta get rid of Sepp Blatter though for any real changes to take place.

I think what they need to do is have some kind of challenge system. A coach can challenge up to 2 times per game on non-calls etc. He has to throw the challenge flag within 10 secs of an non-call or something like that. At that point, they can stop and view the videos to see the call is good or something. If coach is right, they can implement the penalty. If not, he lose that call. That way, if the coach does not challenge or whatever, they lose the privilege and can't go home and cry about it.

In Japan's case, the coach did challenge the hand ball. Refs simply ignored him. The tackle of Japan header by USA defender was a key call too that was missed. The defender literally had both hands across the Japanese striker and tackled her before she was able to head the ball. Either of those calls could have changed the entire game dramatically one way or another.

I hope they look into video review. Soccer is pretty exciting at the highest level for men or women.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think what they need to do is have some kind of challenge system. A coach can challenge up to 2 times per game on non-calls etc. He has to throw the challenge flag within 10 secs of an non-call or something like that. At that point, they can stop and view the videos to see the call is good or something. If coach is right, they can implement the penalty. If not, he lose that call. That way, if the coach does not challenge or whatever, they lose the privilege and can't go home and cry about it.

In Japan's case, the coach did challenge the hand ball. Refs simply ignored him. The tackle of Japan header by USA defender was a key call too that was missed. The defender literally had both hands across the Japanese striker and tackled her before she was able to head the ball. Either of those calls could have changed the entire game dramatically one way or another.

I hope they look into video review. Soccer is pretty exciting at the highest level for men or women.
Don't think that will ever be implemented. And I hope it isn't. There aren't really stopages when you can challenge. Too much happens or could happen. I could see stuff for goals/no goals, but other than that....just don't see it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom