Spoiler Alert - Olympic Women's Soccer Discussion | The Boneyard

Spoiler Alert - Olympic Women's Soccer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The U.S. Women won today 3-0 against Columbia.

That's all I know. Anyone catch it?

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I did, but if anyone taped it, you've made them really sad....

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
oops, sorry 'bout that.

(fast work, Biff!)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I've edited the thread title. but this is a reminder of the request Nan made earlier. lots of folks do the DVR thing. Worth the effort to give them the chance to enjoy the both games and the summer weather.

Nan's request

Reaction Score
Killer goal by Rapinoe...Wambach get's off the grass after being punched - referee missed it...later puts in goal number two...final goal by Lloyd.

Reaction Score
That punch was unpleasant to say the least... The goals were preeeettttY

The officials can go back and look at the tape to see the punch and give a red card- but they probably won't.

Reaction Score
I've edited the thread title. but this is a reminder of the request Nan made earlier. lots of folks do the DVR thing. Worth the effort to give them the chance to enjoy the both games and the summer weather.

Nan's request
As a heads up, if you regularly watch the 6:30 network news (and probably local news) you might want to keep the remote handy - or stop watching for now - if there is a prime time event you don't want to know how it turns out. NBC apparently doesn't get that not everyone wants to know the results before the event is broadcast in prime time. Very little notice, if any, and couldn't get to the remote fast enough. Grrrr! :mad:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Pretty easy game for them today. Defense wasn't pushed much. Probably could have, should have scored more (just not crisp enough). Pretty much controlled the game from the get go. Morgan was a little frustrated today. Rapinoe was MOTM for me. O'Reilly had kind of a rough day. O'Hara looked much better getting forward today. Cheney did a better job than 1st game....but they had a lot more time on the ball than against the French.

Only need a draw against N Korea to win the group. I imagine they will win.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm watching the replay at nbcolympics.com and they have edited out the announcers, so you are watching just as if you were in the stadium. It wasn't clear to me why the apparent US goal late in the first half was disallowed. Can anyone clarify?

Reaction Score
I'm watching the replay at nbcolympics.com and they have edited out the announcers, so you are watching just as if you were in the stadium. It wasn't clear to me why the apparent US goal late in the first half was disallowed. Can anyone clarify?

I think it was offsides.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Typically the team is the one to forward video of gross infractions to the officials. I will be interested to see if anything happens.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Pretty easy game for them today. Defense wasn't pushed much. Probably could have, should have scored more (just not crisp enough). Pretty much controlled the game from the get go. Morgan was a little frustrated today. Rapinoe was MOTM for me. O'Reilly had kind of a rough day. O'Hara looked much better getting forward today. Cheney did a better job than 1st game....but they had a lot more time on the ball than against the French.

Only need a draw against N Korea to win the group. I imagine they will win.
Gotta give props to Carli Lloyd as well...she was rock solid. She reminds me of a female version of Michael Ballack (Germany), the way she's able to control the ball, tempo and be a serious scoring threat as a midfielder. Great touch on her goal yesterday.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
and Solo and Chastain in twitter fight
I was unaware of the back story on the feuding, but as I watched the game I was getting PO'd by Chastain's non-stop negative commentary. The U.S. dominated play throughout and the outcome never seemed in doubt (at least to me), but her focus was incredibly unforgiving. It was like listening to a Dick Button broadcast describing every technical flaw in excruciating detail.

Reaction Score
I was unaware of the back story on the feuding, but as I watched the game I was getting PO'd by Chastain's non-stop negative commentary. The U.S. dominated play throughout and the outcome never seemed in doubt (at least to me), but her focus was incredibly unforgiving. It was like listening to a Dick Button broadcast describing every technical flaw in excruciating detail.

Hope Solo agrees with you Replicant!

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...tes-goalkeeper-hope-solo-rips-brandi-chastain

Reaction Score
I agree with Julie Foudy's comments on Solo's tweets to Chastsin. I also prefer Foudy's doing the color over Chastain.

It's interesting to contrast Abby Wambach's self-possession in taking an obvious sucker punch and all the Columbian taunting without retaliation or loss of concentration, with Hope Solo's thin-skinned reaction to Brandi Chastain's commentary. Chastain's refusal to return fire publicly is also noteworthy...although Julie Foudy is carrying her water in this one,

I guess Hope's prior troubles with the team weren't an isolated incident. We may need to ask Icebear to have a word with the young lady...!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Now, now Pony Express...don't be trying to rope (;)) me into the middle of a feud between two waring women! :eek:

Chastain was excessively negative (IMO), but that appears to be her schtick. NBC also apparently likes her style, so...

Solo's tweets on the other hand are excessively abrasive. Now you could say she's being a good teammate and has her defender's back. One might even say the same of Foudy having her old teammate's back from the video clip you linked.

Maybe Solo is trying to create an 'us against the world' mindset that teams often manufacture for added motivation? Unlikely that one would need more motivation than representing your country for an Olympic gold medal, but it could just be reflexive. Or, maybe like most goalies in sport, she's just a little 'different'. :confused:

Either way, I think it's all an unfortunate, untimely and unnecessary distraction for Team USA. Chastain has apparently gotten that memo with her "no comment" offering and I (hope) Solo does as well.

Reaction Score
Now, now Pony Express...don't be trying to rope (;)) me into the middle of a feud between two waring women! :eek:

Chastain was excessively negative (IMO), but that appears to be her schtick. NBC also apparently likes her style, so...

Solo's tweets on the other hand are excessively abrasive. Now you could say she's being a good teammate and has her defender's back. One might even say the same of Foudy having her old teammate's back from the video clip you linked.

Maybe Solo is trying to create an 'us against the world' mindset that teams often manufacture for added motivation? Unlikely that one would need more motivation than representing your country for an Olympic gold medal, but it could just be reflexive. Or, maybe like most goalies in sport, she's just a little 'different'. :confused:

Either way, I think it's all an unfortunate, untimely and unnecessary distraction for Team USA. Chastain has apparently gotten that memo with her "no comment" offering and I (hope) Solo does as well.

Amen to that!

Reaction Score
here's more:

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
USA coach Sundhage: Had meeting with Solo, Rampone & Wambach. No discipline for Solo's tweets. Discussed how want public to see the team.

Hope Solo ‏@hopesolo
@GrantWahl discipline? Ha! For what! Never even a topic! We talked about our team deserving the best!

3h Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl
@hopesolo Just reporting from a group press conference.

and story about the team meeting.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/29/us-coach-meets-with-solo-over-twitter-rant/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom