split screen

I can remember the days when I watched a ball game on TV and got the game! I know that at 70 I am considered old. But there was a time when the broadcast of a game was about THE GAME. It's not just ESPN, killing the excitement, it's all sport broadcasts with extraneous BS filling the screen, talking about anything that comes to mind, giving sports history we don't care about, etc, etc, etc. The game being broadcast has become secondary.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
I can remember the days when I watched a ball game on TV and got the game! I know that at 70 I am considered old. But there was a time when the broadcast of a game was about THE GAME. It's not just ESPN, killing the excitement, it's all sport broadcasts with extraneous BS filling the screen, talking about anything that comes to mind, giving sports history we don't care about, etc, etc, etc. The game being broadcast has become secondary.
I miss Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray, both Cubs announcers, yes they would have stories to tell, but they didn't interfere with the flow of the game. Or Kieth Jackson doing a football game. It all changed after John Madden became an announcer and all he did was blabber on and on and on, it worked now everyone is doing it.

Or when they kept using part of the screen to show the first Committee's Top 16 and then babbling about it instead of the game. I guess having it in the half time report wasn't enough.
Yes all the extra production stuff is annoying. To make it worse the announcers forget there is a game. Give me SNY any day over ESPN. You cannot have Kara and Lobo together. In the beginning they were great, but now not so much.

Or when they kept using part of the screen to show the first Committee's Top 16 and then babbling about it instead of the game. I guess having it in the half time report wasn't enough.
It's a recurring theme with ESPN. Everything but the game. Most important are the endless promos for whatever the ESPN channels are covering over the week ahead.

I'm annoyed by the constant advertising of and discussion of men's basketball games.
I no longer watch men's basketball, with the exception that I might watch a couple of minutes of a top HS game, so I am guessing that during the men's games that there is constant advertising of and discussion of women's basketball games??? :rolleyes:

I no longer watch men's basketball, with the exception that I might watch a couple of minutes of a top HS game, so I am guessing that during the men's games that there is constant advertising of and discussion of women's basketball games??? :rolleyes:
Thanks good. Real good. I posted on another thread my peeve about split screen, beyond the other good points mentioned her, that when they do the box in a box the action side gets too small for me. Old school 42 inch diagonal screen. No 70" monster. I gave mine away. Constantly getting sunburned sitting in front of it!

1550019504327.png

Thanks good. Real good. I posted on another thread my peeve about split screen, beyond the other good points mentioned her, that when they do the box in a box the action side gets too small for me. Old school 42 inch diagonal screen. No 70" monster. I gave mine away. Constantly getting sunburned sitting in front of it!

View attachment 39551
I am just the opposite. I have a 78" 4K curved screen. And once last season, DirecTV even did a 4K broadcast of a UConn WBB game I believe (I didn't have DirecTV 4K yet, tho).

I am just the opposite. I have a 78" 4K curved screen. And once last season, DirecTV even did a 4K broadcast of a UConn WBB game I believe (I didn't have DirecTV 4K yet, tho).
Truthiness I gave my 70 away because a daughter and her fiance and kids moved into my guest apartment (aka my man cave) and I was evicted. I've been too lazy to have one installed on a wall and my 42" sits in a built in and I won't stand one on the hearth. But I do have concerns about bright light and earth shaking sound too.

I don't like watching the opening tip from a ceiling view. That is not the way we see it when we are at a game. ESPN thinks it knows what people want to see and how they want to see it.