Spending more or less in quarantine? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Spending more or less in quarantine?

Reaction Score
Apparently I'm the only one but I feel like I'm spending more the past few months. I've been a proponent of the slow reopen and keeping things closed but I've hit my breaking point this weekend and I'm not sure how much more of this I can take

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Spending about the same. Since we're retired its a different economic setup.

We usually went out to eat twice a week. Now we have our favorite restaurants, that are close by, deliver. Gas consumption is down some. Golf cart time is down a lot since everything in our community has been closed down.

The wife did a little more spending online for the office/ computer room/ studio. The community has a "university" were residents teach course on a variety of subjects. Since she is the "guru of technology" - and these are not my words but residents' words, she had to get a green screen, a studio mike, some cables and the like. I had to pick up a couple more instrument mikes & cables for when the two bands I play in start up.

Now that things are opening up here in Florida, our spending may go up some. Restaurants are open at 25% capacity and full capacity for outdoor seating. As of Monday, restaurants go up to 50% capacity. Stores are open too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Apparently I'm the only one but I feel like I'm spending more the past few months. I've been a proponent of the slow reopen and keeping things closed but I've hit my breaking point this weekend and I'm not sure how much more of this I can take
As an exercise, try this - don't buy anything for a week. Make do as much as possible, use the back of the pantry. Of course fill in where necessary but try to limit it. It worked for us (2 ppl). It gave us a goal, helped our creativity (mostly by using the net). Go for walks and burn some citrus candles.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mostly less. Some bigger items were going to be purchased anyway, like my new Bosch dishwasher. Got money back from cancelled concerts and events, but my cancelled flights just leave me with tons of airline "credit". That's BS.

Far less on gas. Less on restaurant and beers out. But we aren't being shy about buying Trillium or Treehouse, and I've been uninhibited in buying spirits and wine. Also spending on new casual shoes. I used to wear my running shoes too long, but now that it's all I wear really so I grabbed some new ones (didn't fit, going back) as well as a pair of these. Perfect for summer WFH. Lae‘ahi
you might not be able to return them. Let me know if thats the case.

Reaction Score
I have been putting whatever spending money i usually have after bills aside since early april. Counted it yesterday and have nearly $4k!!! . Ive really realized how much money i spent on frivolous stuff. I ended up taking out $1500 and donating to a local charity.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
you might not be able to return them. Let me know if thats the case.

Have running shoes I bought on Amazon, too small but I can return. Zappos also. Any virus would be gone during the period in transit. Stores not taking returns though.

Reaction Score
the WuHan demand profile:

1589740577789.png

Reaction Score
My commute costs me about $50 a week, so I've saved over $400 since this began, however I've pretty much drank the profits in Miller Lite. It's a give and take. I think overall I am spending less, this actually hit at a perfect time. We just finished our basement so all the surplus money is going towards paying it off.

Reaction Score
If you don't include the new car I bought (0% APR for 72 months and 1st payment not for 120 days) I am spending a lot less. No lunches, not going out any where on the weekends, no beer league hockey.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Slight difference. Unless you have the virus or knowingly been exposed to the virus, you are not quarantined. You can go outside, go to open businesses etc.

Anyway, my wife has been an online shopper for years, although she likes to go out and clothes shop we are always getting boxes and packages. A couple of years ago we downsized from our house to an apartment in a large building. It has a separate packages mailroom some days now, as compared to pre corona it’s hard to get into the room because of all the packages. The larger question is how much if this will become permanent even after stores reopen.

Reaction Score
Just bought another bottle of Bulleit and Buffalo Trace burboun w vermouth. Manhattens. Getting ready for MSG.

Reaction Score
We are spending less but making an effort to tip more on takeout to help the local pizza house. One thing I have made a point to enjoy is less traffic on our road. Most days seem like Sunday from before Covid. Also living in eastern CT we are noticing the cleaner air as the blue skies are really bright. New England is at the tailpipe of the country. In the past there was a constant traffic of jets heading to and from Europe as they were way up at altitude and would have been lower if they were heading to Logan. Multiple jet streams/exhaust hanging in the atmosphere during the day. Bringing the dog out at 10:30 for his final pee there was always a plane or 2 in the sky. China's oil consumption is close to normal levels. Bring on the warming.Head bang

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just bought another bottle of Bulleit and Buffalo Trace burboun w vermouth. Manhattens. Getting ready for MSG.
My brother bought me a bottle of Blanton's for my birthday. That's some tasty stuff. Didn't last long.

Reaction Score
I picked up food at a local steakhouse yesterday .i was surprised by the number of people dining in.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of changes in overall purchasing trends since being forced to WFH in early March. Online purchases are pretty much the same. We are eating out once a week which is normal.

We are saving on dry-cleaning; +$25/week and gas; $75/week for two cars. I usually eat out for lunch once a week, so that's $15-$20 on the plus side. Employer just announced they are eating our monthly $65 parking garage fee which is pretty cool.

My college age daughter has been home since March 13, so the grocery bill has been up for the last 60 days. UCONN is supposedly kicking back a few bucks for the room and board that we didn't use for that time.

Weekly package store bill is up a bit...no need to get into specifics. Sheesh! Judge much?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom