Spencer’s dream came true | The Boneyard

Spencer’s dream came true

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I loved that story about his family getting bored during the NIL part of the pitch and then getting won over by the basketball part.

This kid wants to win more than anything else. Same with Castle. They see the big picture. And that’s an organizational culture.

Reaction Score
I loved that story about his family getting bored during the NIL part of the pitch and then getting won over by the basketball part.

This kid wants to win more than anything else. Same with Castle. They see the big picture. And that’s an organizational culture.
Haven’t heard that- can you find the article?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

It’s the opening anecdote from the recent Athletic article:

When Cam Spencer visited Connecticut last spring, he got the usual treatment. Photoshoot. Pitches on branding and NIL. The fluff, UConn coach Dan Hurley calls it.

Spencer goes out of his way to avoid what others seek. He’s not on social media. His interests are minimal. And Hurley could see Spencer and his family losing interest.

Then they started talking hoops. Style of play. How Spencer fit in UConn’s system.

“The group perked up,” Hurley says.

There’s also this:

On Patrick’s 21st birthday — he was born on the Fourth of July — the family visited their grandparents’ condo in Ocean City, Maryland. They decided to play tennis with their grandparents. Cam was with Grandpa and Patrick with Grandma. Cam and his grandpa strategically kept placing the ball toward Grandma’s backhand because it was a “little weak.” Patrick was agitated, and then he finally got a ball hit his direction. He put it in the net, and then slammed his racket against his head and gashed his forehead. The game ended because he needed to go to the hospital to get stitches.

“But we won, my grandpa and I,” Cam says. “He forfeited. We won.”

:)

Reaction Score
Lol that second anecdote.

Article is behind a paywall and I can’t read it unfortunately

Reaction Score
Coach wanted someone hungry that's never been there.

Surround someone with that mindset with those who already been there done that, and this is what you get.

In Hurley we trust

Reaction Score
Coach wanted someone hungry that's never been there.

Surround someone with that mindset with those who already been there done that, and this is what you get.

In Hurley we trust

Don’t know tons about him, but my sense is that the appeal of the Merrimack kid is a little like Cams.

Reaction Score
Hopefully more players will realize such dreams via the Huskies.....
I was amazed after Ollie’s 2014 that we never got the influx of studs. I scratched my head on that.

Reaction Score
It’s the opening anecdote from the recent Athletic article:

When Cam Spencer visited Connecticut last spring, he got the usual treatment. Photoshoot. Pitches on branding and NIL. The fluff, UConn coach Dan Hurley calls it.

Spencer goes out of his way to avoid what others seek. He’s not on social media. His interests are minimal. And Hurley could see Spencer and his family losing interest.

Then they started talking hoops. Style of play. How Spencer fit in UConn’s system.

“The group perked up,” Hurley says.

There’s also this:

On Patrick’s 21st birthday — he was born on the Fourth of July — the family visited their grandparents’ condo in Ocean City, Maryland. They decided to play tennis with their grandparents. Cam was with Grandpa and Patrick with Grandma. Cam and his grandpa strategically kept placing the ball toward Grandma’s backhand because it was a “little weak.” Patrick was agitated, and then he finally got a ball hit his direction. He put it in the net, and then slammed his racket against his head and gashed his forehead. The game ended because he needed to go to the hospital to get stitches.

“But we won, my grandpa and I,” Cam says. “He forfeited. We won.”

:)
I can’t even imagine playing any sport with my grandchildren that doesn’t end up with my wife and I in the hospital.

Reaction Score
I was amazed after Ollie’s 2014 that we never got the influx of studs. I scratched my head on that.
2015 brought in Enoch and Jalen Adams both top 50 recruits and 2016 was the 8th rated recruiting class although the group was injury prone and the best player in the group, Vital, was the lowest rated recruit in the class.

Reaction Score
Artical also touches on how Hurley and Cam recognize each other as kindred spirits growing up and competing with very atheletic older brothers.

Cams brother was a big time lacross player at Loyola, winning the lacross version of the Heisman Trophy, then playing a year of hoops for Northwestern, and recently signing a two way with the Golden State Warriors.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He stopped putting in the work. He thought players were going to line up at his door. Even K and Squid had to put in the work for players.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
He stopped putting in the work. He thought players were going to line up at his door. Even K and Squid had to put in the work for players.
And he recruited players by their ranking, not their culture...

Reaction Score
Don’t know tons about him, but my sense is that the appeal of the Merrimack kid is a little like Cams.
I don’t think so. That Merrimack isn’t in Cam’s world in terms of talent

Reaction Score
2015 brought in Enoch and Jalen Adams both top 50 recruits and 2016 was the 8th rated recruiting class although the group was injury prone and the best player in the group, Vital, was the lowest rated recruit in the class.
Development. I'm sure all of those guys could have done more with more coaching. That class was highly rated but always looked lost and never played as a team: pass around the perimeter till someone throws up a three or makes a last-ditch, shot clock-expiring drive. No purpose to their play.

And something odd happened to make most of them transfer. Benedict did exit interviews, but I never heard what forced them all out. I always suspected they didn't think they were improving under Ollie

Reaction Score
He earned it. I'm happy to see him enjoying himself out there. It seems like he's been here forever. I hope he and the team make it happen.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
He's all FIRE

Special kid in a special place, love him, love the FIRE

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members