Speeding Ticket(s) in Italy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Speeding Ticket(s) in Italy

Reaction Score
I got one in France in June and paid it online. It was the French government site, not via the rental agency so seemed very legit.
they are legit but you dont have to pay. 5K over the speed limit is 3mph. government or not to me its a scam.

Reaction Score
they are legit but you dont have to pay. 5K over the speed limit is 3mph. government or not to me its a scam.
Why don’t you have to pay? Simply because it’s another country?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

That is precisely why he shouldn’t pay them.

Reaction Score
There is no agreement between other countries and the USA. So there is no legitimate way they can put anything on your driving record. I have paid one once and the others that go through the government website I protested and appealed. It became a joke they always turned me down even for a parking ticket when the hotel gave me a pass and permission to park there. I determined it is just a way for these municipalities or countries to make money. Most of the tickets are gotten by camera so 5K over the speed limit is a joke which means they are just looking to get people no matter what. I was warned by a friend and business associate who lives in France and has to pay - we don't : )

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I was going faster than that. It's worth $40 to me to make it go away legitimately and not have some issue the next time I try to drive in France.

Reaction Score
I was going faster than that. It's worth $40 to me to make it go away legitimately and not have some issue the next time I try to drive in France.
Fair enough if you feel its worth it but I go once or twice a year and never have an issue. When you get 3 or 4 tickets at 5K over the speed limit then you might feel a bit taken advantage of. Germany never gotten a ticket I have been there more than France. Go Huskies!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
They're cheap. I think mine was like 30$ at AAA. Just get it--you never know.

Agreed. I've rented cars in Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Hungary in the past six months. The Sixt in Rome was the only place that asked me to produce my international driver's license.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I've rented cars in Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Hungary in the past six months. The Sixt in Rome was the only place that asked me to produce my international driver's license.
same company in rome laughed at me when i tried to show him mine. guess its hit or miss.

Reaction Score
Well it looks like I won't have the ability to get one before October so ... guess I'm going to find out!

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Italian town catches 58,000 speeding cars in two weeks

By the way, the speed cameras are fairly sophisticated in Italy.

From 10 Things to Know Before Driving in Italy - Luxe Adventure Traveler:

There are several kinds of speed cameras, so let’s take a look at each kind so that you are aware and can go home without worrying that the rental car company will send along your speeding ticket several months later.

Sistema Tutor
This is my least favorite kind of speed camera and they are only found on the autostradas (freeways). Sistema Tutor are cameras attached to the signage that crosses all the lanes of the freeway. You have two kinds of Sistema Tudor: one that photographs your car and takes the speed as you enter a monitored stretch of the freeway and again as you leave the stretch to determine your average speed, and the other that instantaneously detects your speed. The information is sent to a central server and if you were speeding, voila! you can expect a ticket in the mail.

Fixed Roadside Cameras
Another kind of speed cameras are fixed cameras on the roadside and these can be found in both towns and on the autostrada. They take a picture of you if you’re speeding from both the front and the back and send the information to a central server so that your speeding ticket can be mailed off to you.

Speed Traps
We very rarely see them with all the fixed cameras and Sistema Tutor, but Italy does also use good old fashioned polizia or carabinieri that decide to set up in a somewhat hidden spot and use a radar gun or mobile speed camera to clock your speed. Often times, oncoming motorists will signal that a speed trap is coming up by flashing their headlights at you.

Reaction Score

There are several kinds of speed cameras, so let’s take a look at each kind so that you are aware and can go home without worrying that the rental car company will send along your speeding ticket several months later.

Sistema Tutor
This is my least favorite kind of speed camera and they are only found on the autostradas (freeways). Sistema Tutor are cameras attached to the signage that crosses all the lanes of the freeway. You have two kinds of Sistema Tudor: one that photographs your car and takes the speed as you enter a monitored stretch of the freeway and again as you leave the stretch to determine your average speed, and the other that instantaneously detects your speed. The information is sent to a central server and if you were speeding, voila! you can expect a ticket in the mail.

Fixed Roadside Cameras
Another kind of speed cameras are fixed cameras on the roadside and these can be found in both towns and on the autostrada. They take a picture of you if you’re speeding from both the front and the back and send the information to a central server so that your speeding ticket can be mailed off to you.

Speed Traps
We very rarely see them with all the fixed cameras and Sistema Tutor, but Italy does also use good old fashioned polizia or carabinieri that decide to set up in a somewhat hidden spot and use a radar gun or mobile speed camera to clock your speed. Often times, oncoming motorists will signal that a speed trap is coming up by flashing their headlights at you.
Great info. I suggest using Waze since most of the time you will get a warning where these cameras might be.

Reaction Score

Sistema Tutor

Fixed Roadside Cameras

Speed Traps

I wish I had known this sooner!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom