Special Edition of the Blitz w/ Emily Noonan: Meet The Coaches ~ Ernest T Jones | The Boneyard

Special Edition of the Blitz w/ Emily Noonan: Meet The Coaches ~ Ernest T Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of these guys bring a ton of energy. Not all of them, and that's fine you need balance, but from Diaco on down there is a lot of energy and enthusiasm and it all seems genuine. I'm feeding off of it, I can only imagine what many of the players feel.

Reaction Score
He got off to a rocky start because he's a christian. What? What he said is completely normal for football coaches all over the country. The overreaction and anti-christian sentiment of the state doesn't serve Connecticut well. Good for coach Jones for using his constitution rights openly. We need more of it.

Reaction Score
derail2.jpg

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
He got off to a rocky start because he's a christian. What? What he said is completely normal for football coaches all over the country. The overreaction and anti-christian sentiment of the state doesn't serve Connecticut well. Good for coach Jones for using his constitution rights openly. We need more of it.

Pal, the more you talk the clearer it becomes that you don't know anything about the Constitution. It is merely a document that you use to prop up your agenda.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate how 9 robes and a continuous effort from one side of the political spectrum has really distorted the establishment clause.

Anyhoo.

I think Ernest is going to be well liked by most of the players (you can't please everyone) for his enthusiasm, high expectations, high standards, and honesty.

Reaction Score
WingU-Conn said:
I think Ernest is going to be well liked by most of the players (you can't please everyone) for his enthusiasm, high expectations, high standards, and honesty.
Alleluia! Absolutely no coach can please everyone, and especially on the Boneyard. ;)

Reaction Score
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[

Reaction Score
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[

Then let me EXERCISE MINE....give it a break please!!!! Stay on topic because this gets old.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

Great post Palatine!

Thank you for expressing something so fc!ng stupid that it makes the entire Boneyard re-examine itself and figure out how you have 2,500 likes.

I'm far from the perfect Catholic but I know you're not a devout Christian either. If you were, you'd know that you always capitalize the C in Christ.

I have absolutely zero problem with Jesus in the huddle but also realize that a lot of people might. What exactly do you think "We need more of"?

Hate? Intolerance?

If so, you're a dcjk. Where I come from that means people can't tolerate you and hate you too.

Good job! What time are you burning that celebratory cross?

Reaction Score
Great post Palatine!

Thank you for expressing something so fc!ng stupid that it makes the entire Boneyard re-examine itself and figure out how you have 2,500 likes.

I'm far from the perfect Catholic but I know you're not a devout Christian either. If you were, you'd know that you always capitalize the C in Christ.

I have absolutely zero problem with Jesus in the huddle but also realize that a lot of people might. What exactly do you think "We need more of"?

Hate? Intolerance?

If so, you're a dcjk. Where I come from that means people can't tolerate you and hate you too.

Good job! What time are you burning that celebratory cross?

Your reaction and the reaction of the university to very innocent and constitutional protected speech by Jones speaks volumes about the lack of tolerance on college campuses.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

This thread now belongs on the Cesspool. You and Palatine and several others have no clue. You see, first, UConn is a public institution, an arm of the state. Coach Jones seems like a great guy and he certainly is free to exercise his religion. He is not, however, free to make religion, and in particular, a specific set of religious beliefs a part of the football program, not at a state university. That is true even if in public universities in certain regions of our country, such practices are ok without objection. Nobody is restricting the free exercise of religion, they are stopping the free exercise from trampling over the protected rights of other people under the establishment clause. I'll tell you as a person of Jewish ancestry but who considers himself to be an atheist, I believe many folks here would be singing a different tune if we had a Coach Rabinowitz who said we were going to bring the Torah, or a coach Muhammad Ali who said we were going bring the Koran into the huddle.

Reaction Score
Stop with the censorship. I'm not a Christian, I'm agnostic. People need to relax.

My original point is he did NOT get off to a rocky start. A bunch of hypersensitive people way overreacted to an innocuous comment.

Reaction Score
Since I wrote the offending phrase, I was merely commenting on the media/public reaction to his comments, not taking any sides on the issue. Regardless of where one stands on these issues, there is no question that Coach Jones' comments caused some public controversy. That is simply a fact. This interview should do a good deal to present him as a very positive member of the staff. I'm excited to have him. And sorry I even mentioned the "rocky start."

Reaction Score
Interesting path to get to where he is today. The Air Force 1st and then college and playing FB afterwards.On staff with Kelly and coach Diaco at Central Mich. and here we are. Coach Jones has alot to work with here at UConn. LM and Max bring alot of experience and should be rejuvinated by the new staff and then you bring in the 3 freshman plus reshirt freshman Mariner. This should be a real productive group this year.

Reaction Score
Unlike many of you, I have lived in the south and in the midwest. Many of the coaches in those places express their religious views openly. Nobody freaks out when they do.

Reaction Score
Unlike many of you, I have lived in the south and in the midwest. Many of the coaches in those places express their religious views openly. Nobody freaks out when they do.
I am going to revive this debate since you are a raving lunatic over in the "Cesspool": What if the coach said "Allah" is going to be in the center of a huddle at UConn?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I think you just proved the opposite of what you intended.

Reaction Score
I am going to revive this debate since you are a raving lunatic over in the "Cesspool": What if the coach said "Allah" is going to be in the center of a huddle at UConn?
Fine, no big deal. Constitutionally protected.

Reaction Score
Stop with the censorship. I'm not a Christian, I'm agnostic. People need to relax.

My original point is he did NOT get off to a rocky start. A bunch of hypersensitive people way overreacted to an innocuous comment.

Actually he did get off to a rocky start, and I am sure most on this board agree that it is behind him, and he is going to be very successful here.

Reaction Score
Fine, no big deal. Constitutionally protected.
I can tell you this from experience, if there was a non-Muslim, non-atheist kid in the huddle, the Muslims would say "God", and if there is an atheist, they'd probably say nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom