Sparks @ Lynx - 9/24/17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sparks @ Lynx - 9/24/17

Reaction Score
I was at the game. The angle on that picture doesn't show the gap and there is another that does. Plus, she had retreated on Gray then was late getting back to her. I just don't understand why we would let the ball go to her in the first place as Gray was probably the only Sparks player in a groove at that time. Maya was great but after Carson missed those free throws we should have been ready for anything.

Beard had been hitting her open mid-range two as well, but you are correct Gray was hot. I don't believe that Seimone had much of a shot to block the shot even if she were closer because that Dirk Nowitski fade back creates enough space even it the defender is in your face. Fowls might have been able to block that fade away but that's it. Other wise they run into her extended feet and it's foul shots instead. The shooter determines the distance to fade back dependent on how close the defender is. Durant and a lot of other players have been working on that ever since Dirk rode it into a championship.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gray is just that good. Her season numbers are 48% 3 pt and over 50% total. She was no hotter than usual. She also is an exceptional passer , a big bruiser and she shows repeatedly she does not get rattled. She always seems to hit that first rainbow 3 which acts like a right hook across the jaw. Not sure how to play her other than to try and keep the ball from getting into her hands.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Gray is just that good. Her season numbers are 48% 3 pt and over 50% total. She was no hotter than usual. She also is an exceptional passer , a big bruiser and she shows repeatedly she does not get rattled. She always seems to hit that first rainbow 3 which acts like a right hook across the jaw. Not sure how to play her other than to try and keep the ball from getting into her hands.

She set a career high, so she was a bit hotter than usual. I love her game and she has, IMO, put herself in contention for a spot on the Olympic team in 2020. She is SOOOO strong and can get her shot off from almost anywhere.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
These refs are horrible

I agree. Maya should not have been on the court to finish that game after she ran over Parker and no foul was called. Had that foul been called it would have Parker on the line, not Carson, and Maya on the bench. It was poetic justice that Maya traveled at the end of the game and wasn't able to get a shot off.

Reaction Score
This Finals game puts the NBA Finals to shame.

This is two evenly matched teams at their apex battling it out. This is the best basketball being played on the planet by any gender.

(OKC may change that this winter though).

Reaction Score
She's on the perfect team for her game now.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wish we could have a format like this for an NCAA final. How much fun would that be? Anyone who watched this game and was not impressed is not a fan of good basketball, regardless of gender. These women are DAMN good and this is the best competition we may have ever seen in the women's game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

preach.jpg

Of course Im a bit biased..... but she is a joy to watch.... her playing style... her fearlessness... and the passion for the game she exhibits. Some thought that losing Toliver would set back the Sparks a bit.... but I had confidence in Gray taking her game to the next level with increased minutes. But of course... Im a bit biased :D

Reaction Score
Actually in respect to her season numbers that is true. It's not like she had an extra ordinary game shooting game. And the fact that she had her season high is just because the other scorers on the team were not doing that well so the ball went to her -- the player that had the hot hand. Where as usually CP or Nanika would be the players taking those shots. Or last season it was Toliver. When she is in sync she is very capable of stepping it up when it becomes necessary.

Even though a player might be playing to their season average on any particular game, they still have hot and cold games. It is just that those games average out over the season. Now a player might be hot but not taking that many shots. When circumstances dictate that they get more shots then that is usually when they score career highs. Usually it is circumstances that decides how many shots a player gets each game. Unless they are a high volume shooters who just takes shots whether they are hitting or not.

Although I have observed Gray since she was a soph in high school, I always attempt to put aside bias and be objective in my evaluations on every player, even if they are personal favorites. The thing about Gray that people who have not watched her a lot probably can't recognize, is that she has an impact on a team that transcends her stats. She adds those intangibles that were discussed on another Boneyard thread a while back. She adds a stabilizing and unifying influence on what ever team she is on. Often her greatest influence on a team happens when she isn't focused on scoring.

This game just showcased what she is capable of doing in respect to scoring. But there are more games to play and players production will vary from game to game. Heck it even varies from quarter to quarter. Players will have games when they are on and score more than their average, but to me the over all value of a player is what they bring when they are not lighting it up on the scoreboard. This was just one game but lets wait and see how it plays itself out the remainder of the series.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom