Sparks @ Lynx - 10/04/17 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sparks @ Lynx - 10/04/17

Reaction Score
Hmmm I admire her defending her big Sis but maybe, as a TV studio analyst, it would have been best to stop after the first sentence.

Would this be considered a Muffet McGrawism? Give a general statement but no specifics.

Reaction Score
.......Until now. This was BIG Syl's "come out" year.
Two questions:
1. The Lynx win the championship EVERY OTHER year. That means they won't win it next year, who's the favorite to win it all next year? The Sparks?, the Liberty?, the Sun?, the Mercury?
2. Now that Fowles has firmly established herself as the dominant (MVP) post player in the W, what player do you see (think) will be able to stop her one on one next year?

1. Who's the favorite next year? I have to say the Sparks, then the Suns. The Liberty are missing a couple of pieces -what IDK.
2. What player to (stop)/slow Fowles down one on one? J.Jones. I think Jones is still maturing. If Syl comes out of the paint to guard her advantage J.Jones. Mid range -advantage J.Jones.

In the paint? Jones is developing rapidly. For those of you who really watched the Finals closely, Fowles has difficulty finishing left while in the paint. 90+% of the time while down low she always goes to the right. She spins into the double team going to the right every single time. I think this is her weakness and it can be exploited. This is how to slow her down. Have Jones guard her and use her tendency to go right to her disadvantage.

Reaction Score
The cost to trade up may be too costly. At this stage of her development, she's still a work in progress. It may take 2-3 years before she begins to blossom. In time, she may develop into the low post "banger" they need.
Nothing happens to Parker should they acquire McCowan.
(not really a reply to Scoop but more a comment to Shades and Scoop)

IMO Kalani Brown is the post to secure between her and McCowan. McCowan is just big with very limited post moves. Brown has a cache of post moves. She runs the floor very well, hustles and rebounds.

What about Mercedes Russell? UT alum - 6'6". True post with true post size. She would be a great back up for Nneka.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
(not really a reply to Scoop but more a comment to Shades and Scoop)

IMO Kalani Brown is the post to secure between her and McCowan. McCowan is just big with very limited post moves. Brown has a cache of post moves. She runs the floor very well, hustles and rebounds.
What about Mercedes Russell? UT alum - 6'6". True post with true post size. She would be a great back up for Nneka.

Yes!!! absolutely. If I had a choice Baylor's 6'7" Kalani Brown would be my mine too. I was responding to another poster's suggestion about McCowan. IMO, McCowan has some other limitations I did not mention. Of the post players due to graduate the next year or two, Brown (a junior) would be my choice. She has the height, the weight, and her foot work is progressing. She runs the floor decently, however she needs to increase her stamina.

At 6'6", senior post Mercedes Russell will surely draw interest from a number of WNBA teams that are looking to improve their roster at the post position. I'd be surprised if she were not taken late (9-12) in the first round. I'm not sure she could be a starter, but she could definitely be an adequate back-up, giving her team 12-18 minutes a game. Agreed, she would be a great back up for Nneka. She would be better than what they have now, keeping in mind that you can't coach height, and there's no substitution for height.

Which is why it is imperative that UConn find and secure a legitimate (preferably dominant) post player in the next two classes. IMHO, I don't think UConn wants to revisit the "challenges" they endured last year. The "fix" or counter measure they used during that campaign (Gabby) will no longer be available. If not, maybe lightning will strike twice, and another dissatisfied/disgruntled post will want to transfer in. :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes!!! absolutely. If I had a choice Baylor's 6'7" Kalani Brown would be my mine too. I was responding to another poster's suggestion about McCowan. IMO, McCowan has some other limitations I did not mention. Of the post players due to graduate the next year or two, Brown (a junior) would be my choice. She has the height, the weight, and her foot work is progressing. She runs the floor decently, however she needs to increase her stamina.

At 6'6", senior post Mercedes Russell will surely draw interest from a number of WNBA teams that are looking to improve their roster at the post position. I'd be surprised if she were not taken late (9-12) in the first round. I'm not sure she could be a starter, but she could definitely be an adequate back-up, giving her team 12-18 minutes a game. Agreed, she would be a great back up for Nneka. She would be better than what they have now, keeping in mind that you can't coach height, and there's no substitution for height.

Which is why it is imperative that UConn find and secure a legitimate (preferably dominant) post player in the next two classes. IMHO, I don't think UConn wants to revisit the "challenges" they endured last year. The "fix" or counter measure they used during that campaign (Gabby) will no longer be available. If not, maybe lightning will strike twice, and another dissatisfied/disgruntled post will want to transfer in. :rolleyes:

If Kalani Brown continues to develop in the same direction as she did over the past year, she could very easily be the #1 pick in two years. Nothing against Lou or Pheesa (or any of the other super sophomores around the country), but Brown this past year showed flashes that were Liz Cambage-like, an unstoppable force in the low post, and hers is a physical package that doesn't come around often and is highly coveted in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Nothing happens to Parker should they acquire McCowan.

I wasn't necessarily talking about McCowan in the point about Parker. Somebody said the Sparks needed a physical center to compete (I assume a full time one). If they get that, who plays what positions?

Reaction Score
At 6'6", senior post Mercedes Russell will surely draw interest from a number of WNBA teams that are looking to improve their roster at the post position. I'd be surprised if she were not taken late (9-12) in the first round.

If there are no early declarers, I was thinking as early as #5-#6. Seattle and Dallas could both use a legitimate big.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wasn't necessarily talking about McCowan in the point about Parker. Somebody said the Sparks needed a physical center to compete (I assume a full time one). If they get that, who plays what positions?

Agler and his cadre of coaches would figure something out. Maybe the new BIG on the team would only player more than 30 minutes when they

The Sparks are not a team full of youthful players either, but their average age is not as much as the Lynx. Maya is the only Lynx starter that is under 30, while Parker (31) and Beard (35) are the only ones over 30 for the Sparks. Beard is the best defensive player on the Sparks. If you bring in a BIG, who you sit is a good question. The Sparks are nice now, but if they want to be champions on a regular basis, they have to be able to beat ALL COMERS all the time. LA needs a BIG!! How they choose in incorporate her into the lineup will be their challenge.

I know that does not answer your question. You can't sit Sims, she's the quarter back. You can't sit Nneka, she's your leading rebounder and scores in double figures most games. Don't even think about sitting Parker. My guess would be either Gray or Sims.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom