Sparks lose again | The Boneyard

Sparks lose again

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Atlanta 86 v. Los Angeles 81.

Angel had 32. It was a game of alternating quarters: Atlanta won the 1st by 12 and the 3rd by 10; L.A. won the 2nd by 7 and the 4th by 10. The Sparks made a nice rally, as Atlanta helped them by missing at least 3 layups. Chelsea Gray had a big game again.

L.A. is guaranteed at least the #2 overall spot, but they trail Minnesota by 1.5 games now.

Atlanta Dream vs. Los Angeles Sparks - Box Score - September 08, 2016 - ESPN

Reaction Score
Was Parker injured? She only played 24 minutes in a close game...

Reaction Score
Parker sat out the whole 2nd quarter for some reason. As with the recent Seattle game, LA came back hard in the last 2 minutes, after it was basically too late. Parker was brilliant in that final, futile stretch, hitting 2 really big long range bombs and finally fowling out from giving time-saving garbage time fowls.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Sparks were playing at such an incredibly high level at the beginning of the season, I wondered if they'd be able to sustain it. Well, now they're 5-6 over their last 11 games. They've pretty much conceded 1st place to the Lynx; Minnesota is 1.5 games ahead AND has the tiebreaker.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Parker sat after 3 minutes in the 1st half along with Tolliver. The coach went to his bench for the rest of the first half. He saw things he didn't like. Funny thing was when Parker fouled out, she ran harder to the bench than at any time when she was on the court playing. I found that really odd. And I wouldn't say she played brilliantly down the stretch - hitting super long range desperation 3's is not playing brilliantly given she probably put forth high energy effort for about 4 of the 24 minutes she played.

Reaction Score
Parker sat after 3 minutes in the 1st half along with Tolliver. The coach went to his bench for the rest of the first half. He saw things he didn't like. Funny thing was when Parker fouled out, she ran harder to the bench than at any time when she was on the court playing. I found that really odd. And I wouldn't say she played brilliantly down the stretch - hitting super long range desperation 3's is not playing brilliantly given she probably put forth high energy effort for about 4 of the 24 minutes she played.
That's kinda what I meant - she did some 'brilliant' stuff, but only when it didn't matter. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Said this before somewhere, I think after the SA win, LA looks like a team that spent the whole of the Olympic break reading their press clippings and collectively decided that they just had to show up for games in order to win. That works against a dreadful team like SA where concentrating for a few minutes in the 4th Q can result in the win, but against a decent or good team, it is a real problem. The rot actually set in before the break, but has become a real issue now.

FYI: they started the season 20-1, and are now 4-6 since - they went 1-2 in the last three July games and 3-4 in Aug/Sept.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Elizabeth added to the drama by missing 2 layups on the 4th quarter. Even Angel missed one. But Elizabeth played well overall and is a nice addition in Atlanta. Chelsea has been on fire the past 2 games. She looks about 20 pounds heavier than she was in college, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that the box showed Candace with 4 minutes of action in the first half. Not exactly an MVP stat.

L.A. is playing like the team of the past few years, not the team that started 20-1. Can they recapture what they had? They will need a strong effort to beat Minnesota and maybe even New York/Atlanta.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

I was at the game and agree with what Eric said.

Reaction Score
You know Eric, when the Sparks played the Liberty earlier this season, I noticed the same "funny thing" from Parker. Whether being subbed out, timeout, etc., Parker hustled more to the bench than on the hardwood.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Elizabeth Williams with 15 pts 12 rebounds and 3 blocks

Chelsea Gray with 16 points

Thanks again Chris Sienko :cool:
Let's not forget what the Sun obtained in exchange for these players.

For Elizabeth Williams, the Sun got the 4th overall pick. That become Rachel Banham, which in my opinion was not a good choice (and so far has not proven to be a good choice, but next year she may prove us wrong), but getting the 4th overall pick was a substantial compensation for Williams.

In exchange for Chelsea Gray, the Sun got Jonquel Jones. In my opinion, that trade has already paid for itself. Chelsea has played well this year, but so has Jonquel, and the Sun have a much greater need to a 6-6 center who can score than they do for yet another guard.

Coach and now GM Curt Miller should focus on signing Alba Torrens for next year. If he does that, he will make Chris Sienko's decision many years ago to draft Torrens look very good indeed.

Reaction Score
After the Olympics Parker brouhaha, people began concentrating on Candace's performance in the WNBA,. It became increasingly obvious as to why she was not selected for the roster. Even the Volnation fans have tempered their outrage post Olympics.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
After the Olympics Parker brouhaha, people began concentrating on Candace's performance in the WNBA,. It became increasingly obvious as to why she was not selected for the roster. Even the Volnation fans have tempered their outrage post Olympics.
I think a lot of it has to do with her "potential". You still constantly hear her discussed as one of the current "greats" (best in the world), as well as possibly one of the all time greats. The problem is... all time greats maximized their talent and potential for a very high percentage of time they played on the court. Parker, on the other hand, for all her "gifts", is lazy on both ends of the court, constantly whines and complains, pouts when she doesn't get the ball, gets exasperated when teammates miss a play, and her effort mostly ebbs and rarely flows.

Those inadequacies are things that the committee, and even potential Olympic teammates, must have seen on a consistent basis. Not the kind of player who "deserves" to be on Team USA. Not the kind of teammate anyone wants representing her country. It may sound harsh, or like I'm picking on Parker, but as you said, all the brouhaha surrounding her exclusion was unfortunate, especially form the WBB "experts" who should have known better after watching her c0nsistent and obvious lack of effort on the court. At the time of the exclusion, people tried to argue the fact that the team was so strong and deep at the 4 spot, blah blah, but I suspect it had more to do with her attitude and lack of effort than how deep the team was at her "position". It's all obvious now for anyone who cares to really see...

Contrast that to someone like like Catchings, who was probably one of the last players selected (if not the one it came down to between her and Parker). Catch plays every play like her team is up or down by 1 and it's the last play of the game. Her effort, attitude, intensity, and quality of play can NEVER be questioned. I threw Catch in there with glowing compliments also because my criticisms of Parker have zero to do with her being a former Tenn player. I certainly can praise any player when it's obvious they deserve it...

Reaction Score
Coach was resting Ndeka (sp), Toliver, CP had two fouls in the first quarter, but she said earlier that she wanted to play.

Reaction Score
SEA 78, LA 60
Stewie 20 pts, 8 rebs, 3 asts
Sue 12 pts, 7 asts

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I have no idea what Agler is doing - he rests Nneka and Kristi because after having a full month off from competition and playing seven games with three to go, he feels his stars are too tired to play out the season without a rest?!

Seattle is in the playoffs for the first time in a few years. And should they win out, they will get to .500

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nah lets not get carried away and call CP3 a slouch... as much as we're teasing the Lady Vol fans we all expected her to be on the Olympic team, why?

Reaction Score
The same reason people expect Diamond Deshields to be the first WNBA pick this year but her play and stats don't support it. Somehow by magic she will be a different player in the WNBA. It is a talent and potential thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's quite a bit of revisionist history and a large leap to no where. Really, CP recent play is the reason for her Non-Olympic selection? Funny during the first Month or so of the season CP was among the league MVP candidates. BTW Neka is still among the league MVP candidates and she was not selected either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom