Spanos is a good guy but he makes a lot of dumb decisions. | The Boneyard

Spanos is a good guy but he makes a lot of dumb decisions.

Reaction Score
He does get kudos for bringing in a real offensive coach. And his team plays harder than we saw under Edsall.

But his game decisions are out there.
If it is wasn’t for his game decisions we could of beat Wyoming and Vanderbilt

Reaction Score
Got greedy and didn't kick the FG.

Instead tried to get the 1st down and got stuffed.

That FG changed the game. UConn kept chasing those points.
This line of comments just seems off.
The team is a complete 180 from RE’s last game. Took a bit as some said it was only the 2nd and 3rd string Army players that made this team look better.
now, two competitive games later, it’s obvious something positive is happening. It’s no longer debatable.
Key players down, team still rallies and almost wins. Really comes down to silly penalty on kickoff and not getting key stop.
But we have people with critical eye on coach and his play calling.
Do we not remember the fake, fake FG’s or unwillingness to return punts?
my loyalty to Spanos is about as strong as his employment is with UConn. But can we just give guy credit and let the process work before we start questioning his abilities.
In the last 6 years how many close games have we seen? I’ll take these two games against VU and Wyoming vs the 42-3 blowouts from past two coaches. This team, and coaches are learning. It doesn’t happen in one or two weeks.

Reaction Score
This line of comments just seems off.
The team is a complete 180 from RE’s last game. Took a bit as some said it was only the 2nd and 3rd string Army players that made this team look better.
now, two competitive games later, it’s obvious something positive is happening. It’s no longer debatable.
Key players down, team still rallies and almost wins. Really comes down to silly penalty on kickoff and not getting key stop.
But we have people with critical eye on coach and his play calling.
Do we not remember the fake, fake FG’s or unwillingness to return punts?
my loyalty to Spanos is about as strong as his employment is with UConn. But can we just give guy credit and let the process work before we start questioning his abilities.
In the last 6 years how many close games have we seen? I’ll take these two games against VU and Wyoming vs the 42-3 blowouts from past two coaches. This team, and coaches are learning. It doesn’t happen in one or two weeks.
Agreed 100%

Reaction Score
Agree. Decision not to kick field goal. Guy has been money. Hooked one oh well. It wasn't like it was 4 and 1.

But all through offensive line penalties. Offensive line blown assignments. Drops/missed opportunities.

Reaction Score
Agree. Decision not to kick field goal. Guy has been money. Hooked one oh well. It wasn't like it was 4 and 1.

But all through offensive line penalties. Offensive line blown assignments. Drops/missed opportunities.

Again, it looked like McFadden hurt his hammie on the previous chip shot miss. Otherwise they probably would have kicked the FG.

Reaction Score
Spanos didn’t commit the dozens of dumb penalties and dropped passes.
That's not really relevant. His decisions are separate from the play of the players. The players can be take penalties and drop passes and Spanos can make dumb decisions. Both can be true.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
That's not really relevant. His decisions are separate from the play of the players. The players can be take penalties and drop passes and Spanos can make dumb decisions. Both can be true.
Ok well Spanos had us outplaying Vandy for 60 despite losing multiple key starters. We had every opportunity to win what more do you want?

Reaction Score

Can you list these "decisions" you are talking about? That way maybe he can read the thread and learn from your genius mind.

In the meantime i'm going to appreciate the 180 degree effect he has had on this team.

After the Holy Cross game I suggested our loss was "all about the coaching" and some implied that Holy Cross also had more talent than UCONN. I highly doubt anyone would say Holy Cross has more talent than UCONN now. That loss to Holy Cross was 100% about the coaching. Credit to Spanos for making that quite obvious.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom