Spani has improved so much. and No help from Mates | The Boneyard

Spani has improved so much. and No help from Mates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is VA so much better that Boyle is the new coach or is Tenn overrated again in the preseason. This was the 2nd game I watched and Tenn still looks out of control and too much 1 on 1...........Boy, UT has some awesome players IMO need help........Baylor next Sunday will expose them even more...........

Spani had 22 points today and did not get much help from your mates today.

Tennessee hosts No. 1 Baylor, next Sunday at 2 p.m., in a game that airs on ESPN.

Reaction Score
In the 2 games I have seen, Spani looks greatly improved and more aggressive,

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She seems much better off the dribble this year and looks much leaner.

Simmons is a mystery game to game. She's probably saving her best for Baylor.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I have to say that Spani has impressed me. She seems to be in a really good zone, so if you give her just a small amount of room, it's money in the bank.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is VA so much better that Boyle is the new coach or is Tenn overrated again in the preseason. This was the 2nd game I watched and Tenn still looks out of control and too much 1 on 1...........Boy, UT has some awesome players IMO need help........Baylor next Sunday will expose them even .........

If so it is all more of the same old same old for TN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have to say that Spani has impressed me. She seems to be in a really good zone, so if you give her just a small amount of room, it's money in the bank.
But how will she perform when she starts getting a good perimeter one on one defender assigned to her, someone who will deny her the ball. A team with two good perimeter defenders will give TN fits.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Already everyone is forgetting that TN solidly beat a very very good Miami team.
Not forgetting anything I suggested preseason TN was a elite eight team but not a FF team. Losing this game provides little reason to revise that expectation. They still have serious flaws in their play. They run no discernible organized offense. Rarely ever have.

Reaction Score
Not forgetting anything

Was I responding to you?
No.
I was rebutting the comment -as was clearly indicated in my post - that they were "overrated again."

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Obviously they will win a lot of games based on sheer talent alone. I think they are overrated in the sense that a well-coached, athletic team has the upper hand on a team that relies on throwing up shots and crashing the boards for put-backs.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Was I responding to you?
No.
I was rebutting the comment -as was clearly indicated in my post - that they were "overrated again."

You did say "everyone".

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Was I responding to you?
No.
Since you said "everyone" and I had already responded to jsl's post I was noting my response, next time feel free to be clear when you only mean one person.

Reaction Score
Since you said "everyone" and I had already responded to jsl's post I was noting my response, next time feel free to be clear when you only mean one person.
Spani has been hurt the past 2 seasons to some degree or another. She has lost weight and now we can see why Geno wanted her at UCONN.....I hope she stays healthy.........Tenn still cannot beat a decent team on the road.......Miami was at home.........

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Spani has been hurt the past 2 seasons to some degree or another. She has lost weight and now we can see why Geno wanted her at UCONN.....I hope she stays healthy.........Tenn still cannot beat a decent team on the road.......Miami was at home.........
I understand, js, it will be interesting to see what happens when teams adjust to her new found game. Will she use screens well enough to get the ball or will good perimeter D deny her the ball and take away her game.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
That wasn't much of a road environment for Tennessee, either. There were a lot of LV fans in attendance.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
But how will she perform when she starts getting a good perimeter one on one defender assigned to her, someone who will deny her the ball. A team with two good perimeter defenders will give TN fits.

We'll get to see that Sunday when Baylor plays at Tennessee. Madden and Hayden are both right at 6-0 with long arms and quick hands and feet. And Massengale may have typical freshman struggles with a defensive minded point guard like Sims.

JS

Reaction Score
She has lost weight and now we can see why Geno wanted her at UCONN.....
[Warning: rumor-mongering post. Take the following for what it's worth.]

He wanted her big-time during her sophomore HS year -- a prime target. When she came back to school at the start of her junior year, rumor at the time had it she was out of shape and that Geno had cooled on her for that reason. Her final schools did not include UConn. In retrospect, who knows whether the parting of ways was a mistake. Different paths taken, different results.

I've often thought over this past summer that backing off Massengale, rumored to be because of certain interpersonal dynamics not directly involving her, may have been a mistake. Jury's even farther out on that one. I'm certainly not disabused of the mistake idea. We'll see how she does in the notoriously non-point-guard-oriented TN system. Am reminded of a friend's question when a certain future Hall of Fame pitcher came up to the majors to join a team whose very haplessness was endearing: "Will Tom Seaver ruin the Mets, or will the Mets ruin Tom Seaver?"

And finally, there's a third current LV whom Geno, according to rumor, told one of the Assistants to stop recruiting because he didn't like a third party who was in the picture. My guess: he never again wanted to go through what he went through with Kia Vaughn.

These cases all suggest one thing: Geno has the luxury to play his personal feelings about recruits and those involved with them. If you look at who he ended up with, you have to conclude he can afford to be that way. He occasionally makes mistakes on other grounds for sure, but these personal hunch cases don't seem to have presented any serious risks.

Yes, yes, LV fans. I know you're thinking "He's just throwing this stuff out there to make it look like UConn could have had our players if it wanted." Suspicious minds, you. I'll give you one. He wanted Manning right up to the end. Fact is, though, that if a player seems clearly headed in one direction, another program will usually turn its attention elsewhere. It's only efficient. My point is that sometimes there's another reason, right or wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom