Spain, 2018 anyone? | The Boneyard

Spain, 2018 anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
So, for the long term planners who dream of the Olympics but know it's often out of their grasp... the FIBA Worlds are happening in Spain, Sept. 22-30. Mark your calendars!!!!

(Don't know where - I heard Barcelona)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So, for the long term planners who dream of the Olympics but know it's often out of their grasp... the FIBA Worlds are happening in Spain, Sept. 22-30. Mark your calendars!!!!

(Don't know where - I heard Barcelona)

Ah, Barcelona! I was lucky enough to be in Barcelona prior to and through the first part of the '92 Olympics and spent many hours on La Rambia watching locals, visitors and team members from Olympic delegations the world over. And some of the most frequent visitors to that thoroughfare were members of the Dream Team, led by Charles Barkley.

Also remember seeing a killer concert by BB King in the park on the mountain there.

Reaction Score
Also been there. The old part of the city was beautiful, and good shopping for jewelry, leather, etc.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm in. I have talked to Ken (Milford) and he wants to go as well. Would love to see Barcelona!! Istanbul was great 2 years ago...

Reaction Score
Barcelona kicks ass! Tapas, cava, Gaudi (DO study up on your Gaudi - that's what Barcelona is all about. Plus you can OD on Joan Miro & Salvador Dali if you're so inclined). Plan 2-3 extra days in addition to the WBB. Day trips to Figueres (Dali) and the monastery at Monserrat (visit a cava cellar on the way back) are a must. If you habla Espanol, look at an Internet primer in Catalan. Barcelona is a VERY cool place - I'm in!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
whats the average cost for such a trip... I need to start saving
images

Reaction Score
images

:) I hear ya. I need to start saving as well. I haven't been to Spain (Madrid) since high school Spanish class field trip back in the late 80s. I wonder if things have changed over there ;)

Reaction Score
:) I hear ya. I need to start saving as well. I haven't been to Spain (Madrid) since high school Spanish class field trip back in the late 80s. I wonder if things have changed over there ;)
Probably, but one thing that hasn't changed is that Barcelona doesn't consider themselves to be "Spain."

Reaction Score
images

Probably, but one thing that hasn't changed is that Barcelona doesn't consider themselves to be "Spain."

Really?

Reaction Score

Really?
The Catalonians have a secession drive every 5-10 years, not unlike Quebec.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In my health, I simply couldn't make plans for anything in 2018. If I'm still alive, I'll be a five-year survivor of glioblastoma and be a major outlier (more than 95% of those afflicted with GBM).

Hope y'all have a hell of a time.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Airline and hotel costs for 7 days in Barcelona should be around $1000.00 to $1500.00 from Hartford for two. That's this years pricing. I suspect leaving out of NY or NJ you can get better deals then that. Another option is take a cruise from NY to Barcelona with a layover in Barcelona and take another ship back if necessary.

Reaction Score
Airline and hotel costs for 7 days in Barcelona should be around $1000.00 to $1500.00 from Hartford for two. That's this years pricing. I suspect leaving out of NY or NJ you can get better deals then that. Another option is take a cruise from NY to Barcelona with a layover in Barcelona and take another ship back if necessary.
That sounds about right. We (2) did it for $5,000, but that included eating & drinking, plus a night each in Bilbao, Elciego and Madrid, and the extra flight from Barcelona to Bilbao, plus a rent car from Bilbao to Madrid. So I'd say the Barcelona part was about half of the total, but the dollar is much stronger now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
images

My approximate budget for Istanbul (based on an admittedly poor memory):

Airfare: $800

Lodging: $1,000 per person in a shared room for 10 nights at the Grand Hyatt

Transportation, including to/from airports: $200

Game tickets: $120 for 6 games

Entertainment and sight-seeing: $200

Food: $400 (we had several meals at the hotel's Grand Club)

Total: $2,500-$3,000. It may be doable for $1,500 on a tight budget, depending on how many nights you want to stay. Prices in Spain will vary, of course.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Wasn't taking into consideration any daily living expenses. Nor was I considering 4 or 5 star Hotels/Resorts. I would think a couple could get by on $100.00-$125 a day in living expenses, especially if they eat out in the smaller cafes. Obviously can spend considerably more if the budget allowed for it, or even spend less if necessary.

Istanbul is considerably less expensive then Barcelona Spain.

Background: I spent 20 years in the Air Force and had a traveling job my last 8 years and also not married. I used to traveling Europe and Asia on an economy budget. :)

That sounds about right. We (2) did it for $5,000, but that included eating & drinking, plus a night each in Bilbao, Elciego and Madrid, and the extra flight from Barcelona to Bilbao, plus a rent car from Bilbao to Madrid. So I'd say the Barcelona part was about half of the total, but the dollar is much stronger now.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
My approximate budget for Istanbul (based on an admittedly poor memory):

Airfare: $800

Lodging: $1,000 per person in a shared room for 10 nights at the Grand Hyatt

Transportation, including to/from airports: $200

Game tickets: $120 for 6 games

Entertainment and sight-seeing: $200

Food: $400 (we had several meals at the hotel's Grand Club)

Total: $2,500-$3,000. It may be doable for $1,500 on a tight budget, depending on how many nights you want to stay. Prices in Spain will vary, of course.
Id like to try that... 2500.00

but when you say "entertainment" what do you have in mind?
the-red-light-district.jpg

Reaction Score
In my health, I simply couldn't make plans for anything in 2018. If I'm still alive, I'll be a five-year survivor of glioblastoma and be a major outlier (more than 95% of those afflicted with GBM).

Hope y'all have a hell of a time.
Wishing you the best. Take heart I am a 10-year Survivor of leiomyosarcoma. At the time it had about a 5% 5-year survival. I'm still here!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Id like to try that... 2500.00

but when you say "entertainment" what do you have in mind?
the-red-light-district.jpg
Whatever you're up for, DC. ;)

In Istanbul, it included a cruise on the Bosphorus, tickets for Topkapi, and tickets for the Hagia Sofia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Wasn't taking into consideration any daily living expenses. Nor was I considering 4 or 5 star Hotels/Resorts. I would think a couple could get by on $100.00-$125 a day in living expenses, especially if they eat out in the smaller cafes. Obviously can spend considerably more if the budget allowed for it, or even spend less if necessary.

Istanbul is considerably less expensive then Barcelona Spain.

Background: I spent 20 years in the Air Force and had a traveling job my last 8 years and also not married. I used to traveling Europe and Asia on an economy budget. :)
I just checked hotel prices. Indeed, Barcelona is noticeably more expensive than Istanbul. But still a great city.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Current flight via Turkish air - $550

I peeped an AirBNB apartment - 3 bedrooms, about $120 a night.... just sayin'... 10 nights - 3 people/pairs... a kitchen... Budget long, term planning!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Current flight via Turkish air - $550

I peeped an AirBNB apartment - 3 bedrooms, about $120 a night.... just sayin'... 10 nights - 3 people/pairs... a kitchen... Budget long, term planning!
I didn't check the routing, but the Turkish Air flights, though often cheap, connect in Istanbul. That adds about 6 hours of flying time plus a 2-hour connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom