Southern Cal, Still Looking for Head Coach | The Boneyard

Southern Cal, Still Looking for Head Coach

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Another turns down the Job: Another miss at USC

Southern Cal just needs to up the salary and provide more resources for WBB. Could be a great job, but apparently they don't care about WBB.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Another turns down the Job: Another miss at USC

Southern Cal just needs to up the salary and provide more resources for WBB. Could be a great job, but apparently they don't care about WBB.
I'll hold up Mark Trackh (sp?) as living proof of that.

Won at Pepperdine. Winning at NMSU. USC, not so much.

Reaction Score
Washington just hired Jody Winn, who not only is a former USC assistant but was also right down the road in Long Beach. Seems like she would've been an easy hire.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Washington just hired Jody Winn, who not only is a former USC assistant but was also right down the road in Long Beach. Seems like she would've been an easy hire.

Not sure certsin people at USC were Wynn fans. That could be a big reason there.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
USC called out by prominent CA coach - "How does Washington hire someone within a few weeks and USC job still open? The fact the job is still open shows how bad USC has mangled the situation. And where there is smoke, there is fire." ~ Anonymous prominent, longtime California coach on USC's "terrible" 42-day (and counting) search

Reaction Score
There has to be some sort of problem that originates from within the Athletic Dept itself. When one considers that SC is located in southern California, which is a girls basketball hotbed in respect to local recruiting, there is no excuse for the coaching turnover and the recent lack of success of the program.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mark Trakh Returning To USC As Women's Basketball Head Coach

April 21, 2017

Mark Trakh, who led USC and Pepperdine to NCAA Tournament appearances before guiding New Mexico State to NCAA berths the past three seasons, is returning to USC as its head women’s basketball coach, USC athletic director Lynn Swann announced today (April 21).

“We are thrilled to welcome Mark back to USC,” said Swann. “It was important for us to hire a coach who really wanted to be at USC, who truly cares about our student-athletes and who believes in the Trojan way of excelling. We found that coach in Mark Trakh. He has the experience and maturity to help our young team grow and develop.

“Mark is a great teacher of the game. Players enjoy playing for him. He is a very effective recruiter. And he has a knack for taking teams to the NCAA Tournament, which we look for him to continue doing.”

Said Trakh: “I’m excited to once again be a part of the great tradition at USC. The goal and expectation is always to get to the Final Four. I feel that there is a ton of potential in this team and I look forward to start working with them. I really want to reignite the tradition of excellence that we have at USC. It all starts with recruiting and coaching up the women and helping them succeed. I also look forward to coaching again in the Pac-12, which is filled with great teams and coaches and is really a conference of national contenders.”

Trakh, 61, replaces Cynthia Cooper-Dyke, who resigned last month after four seasons at USC.

[Rest of story]

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Huh. Not very often a coach has 2 different stints at the same school.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While Trakh is a young whipper snapper as far as I'm concerned, it is highly unusual for a big time school like USC to hire a 61 year old WBB coach, who was let go previously, when they clearly were looking for a talented young coach to rebuild the program to compete at the national level. It sparks of desperation on the part of Lynn Swann.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Beth Burns, too, I believe.... though that ended badly.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
While Trakh is a young whipper snapper as far as I'm concerned, it is highly unusual for a big time school like USC to hire a 61 year old WBB coach, who was let go previously, when they clearly were looking for a talented young coach to rebuild the program to compete at the national level. It sparks of desperation on the part of Lynn Swann.

You're exactly right; it is clearly desperate.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
John Robinson at USC and Mike Riley at Oregon St., both football coaches. But the point still stands, it's very rare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom