South Carolina post game thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

South Carolina post game thread

Reaction Score
Agreed. Fwiw I never though Williams would end up in SC based on the relationship with Geno and CD. ONO on the other hand was a shocker considering the fact that she talked about SC a lot in her blog and how happy she was when SC won the NC in 2017. I think they enjoyed going against Dawn and Law and it certainly has to put CW in a better space after she was struggling some games. Looking forward to our future matchups though with ONO vs Boston, and CW vs Cooke etc.

That's how i recall it as well. Don't ever recall leading for Williams.

Losing Ododa was a blow since we'd been on her so long and she was right next door.

But we were definitely aware that we were going to wire with UCONN on those two by the end and that didn't make me feel very good.

Reaction Score
First off, I am NO FAN of Debbie as a basketball analayst.
Her stance is sort of based off of how NCAA Baseball and Softball host their “World Series” at Omaha and Oklahoma City each year as a destination (in this case it’s only 8 teams) and that the attendance at both has blossomed and thrived.
A big difference is this would be 16 teams in a One nod Done aspect whereas BB/SB is double elimination. Vegas also IS NOT the venue as it isn’t kid friendly, or for that matter even women friendly. Omaha and OKC each have roots for baseball or softball from the locals. Is Springfield or Knoxville logical or does that become too UConn/Tenn bias?
The question would be do you have a rotating set of venues, like the Super Bowl, to allow various regions to host and it’s publicized ahead and you can plan for Nextel year or in two years. Maybe MSG in NYC, Chicago, Boston all become viable as the pool size is now bigger to get fans from.

As far as the NCAA Baseball and Softball venues, they're actually central to the US. Sort of makes sense for me.

Las Vegas in my mind, is the West...perhaps Debbie should rethink her Las Vegas idea and suggest a venue in eastern Missouri. Google is telling me the Enterprise Center in St Louis with 18,400 capacity is available. :rolleyes:

Enterprise Center - Wikipedia

1550175579060.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As far as the NCAA Baseball and Softball venues, they're actually central to the US. Sort of makes sense for me.

Las Vegas in my mind, is the West...perhaps Debbie should rethink her Las Vegas idea and suggest a venue in eastern Missouri. Google is telling me the Enterprise Center in St Louis with 18,400 capacity is available. :rolleyes:

Enterprise Center - Wikipedia

View attachment 39649

I think her point is that most places not close to a top drawing program (thereby giving that program a big competative advantage) are simply not attractive enough for the average WCBB fan to travel for SW16/E8 (although perhaps the UConn fan base will travel anywhere?)

Vegas is her choice since she thinks the only way to attract the general crowds
is to make the game a part of a bigger vacation experience.

In any case, there is no way to remove the fact that the most passionate fan bases will show up better in any venue which is as it should be

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it's a terrible idea. Vegas is an expensive trip for 90% of the country.

Oh I don't know. My wife has the annoying habit of answering calls that should be blocked. Late Wednesday afternoon she picked on up and it was a guy advising her that I was eligible for a free flight and a comped 2 room suite because I was such a valuable client! I have never been to Vegas and have told the wife repeated if you want to do a girl's flight knock yourself out. Oh yes, I have never gambled anywhere. Nonetheless I got the wife's : "Is there something you're not telling me?" !!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes, the Sweet 16 through the Championship would be played in one location, and Las Vegas seems to be her choice. That’s Debbie’s idea that’s she’s
been blathering about for some time now. After Andy Landers shot holes in her ridiculous idea by pointing out the incredible burden on fans for such a scenario, I am hopeful that we’ve heard the last of this nonsense.

Apparently Antonelli is just looking for an all expenses paid weekend in Vegas, courtesy of her employer, ESPN.

Reaction Score
I was lucky enough to watch the game live. I think of the the keys of the game was the play of ONO. ONO came in and she played really well. I thought SC was going to pound the ball in low to number 35 and imposed there will on the game. That most cerTtainly did NOT happen. ONO was up to the challenge and more than held her own and we really extended the lead.

I was also very impressed with CW play. Its not that she was the key to the win, but she played so smart, within the flow of the game and did some really great things.

I think most of the crowd knew that we went 5 deep in the first half and it was amazing the girls played as well as they did with so little rest.

This was the signature win that UCONN needed to kinda say, Hey were still here and were going to be a force to be recon with.

Negative? Well for one they don't do the bongos at XL anymore.. Thats too bad I liked that..
Clearly lack of bench trust still at issue??!
The continue to pick people to attempt the half court shot, that actually have zero chance to make the shot. I mean pick me already!!
Great win, go huskies

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she advocating that the entire S16/E8 be held in one city? If so, she's gone completely off her rocker.
Yes and yes. What an asinine idea. Who would attend?

Reaction Score
Interesting take considering Dawn pretty much did the same for Aliyah this year. Wonder if they’ll spin the same article for next years matchup in Columbia.
With virtually every bit of UConn women's basketball news, true or not, on our blog and in more news channels, Dawn flies a bit more under the radar.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yes and yes. What an asinine idea. Who would attend?

People who like to gamble in Vegas, I suppose.

If you can't draw WCBB fans to regional venues around the country, and need to make it all about the destination city and not about the games, isn't that tantamount to an admission that there's not enough interest to justify the sport's existence?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
At least she had some original thought. Rare.
Actually it was a dream of UNLV's Athletic Director Jim Livengood. He is the one that convinced the PAC-12, WAC and WCC to have their Conference BB championships here in Vegas along with the Mountain West's. Almost all of the tournaments are sell outs and the Hotels love it. With two arena's that sit more than 18,000, plus another on the way, Las Vegas is a great spot. Also with the building of the new Raider's stadium just off the strip, UNLV has already planned on trying to host the football NC, plus the Men's and Women's basketball NC.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom