South Carolina Picked for First in SEC Poll | The Boneyard

South Carolina Picked for First in SEC Poll

Reaction Score
If McCowan isn't the second best player in that league this season, Schaeffer is doing it wrong. She should be a nightmare on the low block.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Arkansas picked to finish last. UW picked last in Pac 12. I guess Neighbors was screwed either way.
He doesn't have a roster loaded with talent. It will take time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
He doesn't have a roster loaded with talent. It will take time.

He also didn't leave a roster loaded with talent for the new UW coach. I could be wrong, but based on what I saw during his tenure in Seattle, unless lightning strikes twice and he gets another player like Plum (and Osahor to a lesser extent), this might not work out very well in Arkansas.

Reaction Score
He also didn't leave a roster loaded with talent for the new UW coach. I could be wrong, but based on what I saw during his tenure in Seattle, unless lightning strikes twice and he gets another player like Plum (and Osahor to a lesser extent), this might not work out very well in Arkansas.

Pretty sure Plum committed while McGuff was still coach at UW.

Arkansas did pick up 2 transfers in the off season -- Gaulden from FSU and Dungee from Oklahoma. Both will be out this year but ready for 2018-19.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Pretty sure Plum committed while McGuff was still coach at UW.

Arkansas did pick up 2 transfers in the off season -- Gaulden from FSU and Dungee from Oklahoma. Both will be out this year but ready for 2018-19.

Yes, but she stuck with her commitment to UW. I heard the story a number of times over the years, I think she sent him a text that said "You stay, I stay" or something close to that. He was the one that recruited Osahor as well. But beyond those two, he didn't bring in a whole lot of talent the next 3 years, which is why UW is now picked to finish in the celllar.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Arkansas picked to finish last. UW picked last in Pac 12. I guess Neighbors was screwed either way.
One would expect the new job to be the big rebuilding challenge. There's a reason the job came available in the first place.

But I don't think I have ever, ever seen such a drastic contrast, as what we see at UW this year, between the high achievements of one season and the depletion of talent heading into the next.

To add insult to injury (or injury to insult?), the one underclassman starter from last year (Romeo) is "out indefinitely for medical reasons," and the promising freshman McDonald transferred to Arizona.

Maybe Jody Wynn can petition to join the Big Sky for at least a year while she pieces back together some semblance of a competitive roster.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
But I don't think I have ever, ever seen such a drastic contrast, as what we see at UW this year, between the high achievements of one season and the depletion of talent heading into the next.

Overall there was a fairly stunning failure in recruiting over a several year period. This year's true Sr. and Jr. are almost non-existent. Romeo transferred in so wasn't originally recruited to UW. There's Hannah Johnson, who mind numbingly is actually the leading returning scorer and rebounder at 3.5 and 3.7 per game, w/ Romeo being out. Deja Strother is a former McD's AA who hasn't panned out so far and hasn't played much. And 2 walk ons (maybe they are on scholarship now, I don't know) who have barely played. That's it. For 2 whole classes. Last year's Fr. class seemed solid, but they lost the best one in McDonald and I think Gigi Garcia still isn't healthy, so that leaves just Mai-Loni Henson and Amber Melgoza who might turn into solid contributors but don't look destined to be stars.

Adding to the problem is that Oregon St. and Oregon cherry picked the best players from the Seattle area the last 2 years (Pivec, Giomi and Corosdale).

I do think Neighbors is a good coach, he seemed to maximize the talent he had on his roster. But recruiting does not appear to be his strong suit.

LasVegasYank

Never pay retail for anything.
Reaction Score
Wow, they really went out on a limb for this pick. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I watched practice yesterday and i think that the Lady'Backs may surprise some people...totally different atmosphere here in Fayetteville...it will take some time to compete in the SEC but i think they will be greatly improved...they are very young but the effort seems to be there...they will beat some folks they probably shouldn't and perhaps lose to some they shouldn't...Mike Neighbors has things going in the right direction

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched practice yesterday and i think that the Lady'Backs may surprise some people...totally different atmosphere here in Fayetteville...it will take some time to compete in the SEC but i think they will be greatly improved...they are very young but the effort seems to be there...they will beat some folks they probably shouldn't and perhaps lose to some they shouldn't...Mike Neighbors has things going in the right direction

I'm glad to hear he's off to a good start. I like him. He's very entertaining in interviews. Just completed the best 2 year period in UW history. Obviously he was doing a lot of things right, but also obviously a lot of that success was due to the talent of Plum. We'll see how it goes in Fayetteville. I think you can understand why UW fans are disappointed with his recruiting in recent years and the state of the program when he left.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If McCowan isn't the second best player in that league this season, Schaeffer is doing it wrong. She should be a nightmare on the low block.
Oh please! Spare us, McCowan is not even 2nd best player on her own team.

Plebe

Reaction Score
When you say the atmosphere is totally different, how was the atmosphere last year?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How many SEC teams get into the NCAA tournament?

Reaction Score
I was a little surprised to see Carolina picked to win. I'd have guessed Miss State and might even lean that way myself.

I look at the roster and thing the starting lineup is solid, but much less talented. I'm going to guess the incoming freshmen will make the bench stronger than it was last season. If Wilson has a huge year, she's probably got enough upside to carry a solid team pretty far though.

Plebe

Reaction Score

I saw Warlick's interview on SEC Media Day with Finebaum. She's really bullish on this year's team and on how competitive and hardworking the freshmen are. Who knows, maybe this'll be the year that the Lady Vols restore some of their lost luster.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I saw Warlick's interview on SEC Media Day with Finebaum. She's really bullish on this year's team and on how competitive and hardworking the freshmen are. Who knows, maybe this'll be the year that the Lady Vols restore some of their lost luster.
Yes I thought the main point she made. Was the consistency was the main thing needed. As far what is needed. I do think this year will be better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom