South Carolina @ Mississippi St - 2/05/18 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Carolina @ Mississippi St - 2/05/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
I like Vic. He's a unique character that's for sure. So funny when they had him mic'd and he's screaming NO NO! five times at his player "Jazzy" Holmes when she makes a pass he didn't want. Great job having him mic'd. At least he was entertaining. Thank goodness they didn't mic Dawn.
Yes, thank goodness..

Reaction Score
Speaking of high energy, I thought Miss State would really miss Dominique Dillingham. I loved the intensity and energy she brought.
I really like Dillingham, too. She's the team's graduate assistant this year, and can still be seen on the sidelines at games.

Reaction Score
Dawn is extremely overrated as a "game day coach". She will continue to get elite transfers though which will keep her as a top 10 program
I think Dawn does well as a coach, which to each his own. She is different, but this far in her career, I think she has acquitted herself very well. The loss of Ty Harris in the first half to fouls and eventually in the fourth quarter really hurts this team's balance. Both of those periods, Miss. St. went on runs as the offense became dysfunctional. If you look at South Carolina' s losses this year, other than the UConn game which was a complete massacre, the other games, South Carolina's struggles came when Ty Harris had to go to the bench. Jackson is learning, but she still isn't ready for big time pressure as the backup point. She is better suited to her natural 2 guard position. Cuevas is a big hurt because she could play either and was our best 3pt shooter last year. The loss of her and transfer of Aarion Bradshaw hurt their depth. This teams needs to find a consistent 3rd scorer to make any type of run. With last night being Lindsey Spann's first night back, she was rusty on both ends of courts. If they can get her back healthy, SC will be fine. Lord the Dawn Hate sometimes gets irritating, but she is Philly tough and will continue to challenge the norm. I do, however like Schaeffer who is now 1-11 against her, and Geno was a big supporter of Dawn for the USA Olympic Team coach so she at least has the respect of some in the know.

Reaction Score
Some pretty smart posters think MS ST could be quite the challenge for the Huskies. I don't see it. We have 6 20 point offensive players. They have perhaps 2. Only McKowan makes them bigger - and she's a load - but she is slow and if she moves out of the protected zone her player can zip by her with ease. Vic's bench is thin thin. It would take a return of last year's "panic" (Gabby's word) to have Vic's team beat UConn.
Rocky - you hit the nail on the head....almost First, although, despite the reservations on the board about Azura, in her first year playing under Geno & crew, she'll be one of our keys to our success, if we face MS ST.
Since there are some many other scoring options that have led to this team's success over the past couple of years, my guess is, she's been limited purposely. In other words, he's mentioned more than once how introducing new elements into a team, that's already operating pretty well, can cause problems. It doesn't mean the contribution won't help, but, the "how" and "when" of the new addition is vital to continued success, instead of it being a disruption. And, the good thing is, Azura is being patient. Next year, their dependence on her, will be undeniable. Having said that, for those who've noticed, during our most competitive games, who has been the go-to player in crunch time? Has there ever been a player with more double-doubles in their first year of playing at UCONN - starter on not?
While I admire what Vic has accomplished in a short time at MS ST, without McCowan's presence, do we really think they'd be in this position? Height does make a difference. But, fortunately, I'm confident that just as he did with Notre Dame after a few of their Diggins victories, Geno and crew has figured out what's needed against vs MS ST. As they say, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me!

Reaction Score
Some pretty smart posters think MS ST could be quite the challenge for the Huskies. I don't see it. We have 6 20 point offensive players. They have perhaps 2. Only McKowan makes them bigger - and she's a load - but she is slow and if she moves out of the protected zone her player can zip by her with ease. Vic's bench is thin thin. It would take a return of last year's "panic" (Gabby's word) to have Vic's team beat UConn.
It's not so much panic that would allow an opponent to win, but it's more parity between teams. What happens when UConn comes out slow or has a poor shooting night against our conference foes? We only win by 19 instead of 49, even if our AAC opponent has a kid that gets hot and is seemingly unstoppable, they still have a very low chance of winning. Once you play a team much closer in talent level, a kid that gets hot or they out hustle you and you shoot cold or get into foul trouble suddenly tips the scales and you lose. Plus the air of invincibility that this team enjoyed every time it stepped on the court for the previous 4 or 5 years was basically erased when William hit that buzzer beater last year - Goliath had been slain. ND almost beat us at home. Texas got closer than anyone else, and every time we play them that MOV gets thinner and thinner. Baylor has the talent to go toe to toe with us. Miss St has already proven they can beat us. Any of these teams have just as good of a chance at the title as us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's not so much panic that would allow an opponent to win, but it's more parity between teams. What happens when UConn comes out slow or has a poor shooting night against our conference foes? We only win by 19 instead of 49, even if our AAC opponent has a kid that gets hot and is seemingly unstoppable, they still have a very low chance of winning. Once you play a team much closer in talent level, a kid that gets hot or they out hustle you and you shoot cold or get into foul trouble suddenly tips the scales and you lose. Plus the air of invincibility that this team enjoyed every time it stepped on the court for the previous 4 or 5 years was basically erased when William hit that buzzer beater last year - Goliath had been slain. ND almost beat us at home. Texas got closer than anyone else, and every time we play them that MOV gets thinner and thinner. Baylor has the talent to go toe to toe with us. Miss St has already proven they can beat us. Any of these teams have just as good of a chance at the title as us.
Too often we focus on offense. I’ve said before that UConn did not lose vs MS St last year, because they were nervous, Pheesa wasn’t on her game, or Saniya made a bad decision in OT. UConn lost because they didn’t play championship defense.

This year’s team plays championship defense. So long as the starting 5 is healthy, there isn’t another team that can beat UConn.

Reaction Score
Too often we focus on offense. I’ve said before that UConn did not lose vs MS St last year, because they were nervous, Pheesa wasn’t on her game, or Saniya made a bad decision in OT. UConn lost because they didn’t play championship defense.

This year’s team plays championship defense. So long as the starting 5 is healthy, there isn’t another team that can beat UConn.
So the team didn't play championship defense against Texas or ND?

Reaction Score
We will not be playing Texas in Texas. Also, it wasn't their best game, and we still won on the road. Against Notre Dame Gabby had migraines and played lees than stellar, and Lou hurt her foot again, and we still won by 9. Yes, there are teams that can beat us. No, I'm not worried about those teams. If UConn plays their best game, they will win number 12.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I really like Dillingham, too. She's the team's graduate assistant this year, and can still be seen on the sidelines at games.
Ah. I saw her and "recognized" her last night on the sidelines but her name escaped me.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So the team didn't play championship defense against Texas or ND?
Actually they did, but not for the complete game. Against ND, UConn’s defense was stellar in the 4th qtr, without Gabby & Lou.

UConn came out playing a zone vs TX, which the Longhorns shredded. For the next 3 qtrs UConn played primarily man-to-man doing a much better job controlling TX.

In the 1st half vs SC, the Husky defense was as good as I’ve seen since the 2016 tournament game vs MS St. The one disconcerting aspect for Geno is that UConn turns their defensive intensity on and off depending on the opponent and the situation.

If need be, I believe the Huskies are capable of playing lockdown defense for 4 qtrs against any team in the country.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

UCONN is more talented across the board, but Mississippi State is such a complete team. Most of their offense flows through McCowan and Vivians, but Johnson is a capable playmaker who can go for 20 any given night, Schaefer is a good shooter who does a lot of things well, and Morgan William is also a capable scorer. The 4 man backcourt of Schaefer, Johnson, William, and Holmes are all outstanding defensively and take care of the ball. William/Holmes split PG duties and combine for 7.3 assists to just 2.2 turnovers, and Schaefer/Johnson each have 2:1 A/TO ratios. Vivians can score in a variety of ways and McCowan dominates the glass and can finish inside. Off the bench they have 2 high energy spark plug players to spot the starters, both can provide a major boost on any given night.

They are also very good defensively, giving up 55ppg (about the same as UCONN) and they rarely have players in foul trouble. If you pull McCowan away from the basket, it puts her in a tough spot since she isn't quick, but on the flip side UCONN doesn't have anyone who can match her size and strength inside if she plays aggressively.

Their bench isn't thin either-- they have a set 7 man rotation that will play almost the entire game. Players are conditioned to play the full 40 if needed. You saw a big girl like McCowan running back defensively every possession and battling hard in the 4th while she played 39 minutes against A'ja Wilson much of the night. That's impressive for someone her size. No one I saw on Ms St looked winded besides Vivians who carried the team in the first half.

I agree that UCONN will be the favorite if they meet, but after seeing Texas and Notre Dame step up and nearly beat the Huskies, I think Mississippi State is a much tougher matchup than either of those teams, so they'll definitely challenge UCONN.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry, but I can't see how anybody can make this argument. UConn held MSU to 66 points in an overtime game. MSU shot a below average 37.3% overall and an even worse 27.3% from 3 pt range. UConn also forced 14 tos. I can understand saying UConn gave up way too many offensive rebounds, was beaten to too many 50/50 balls, but other than that they played pretty good defense. UConn lost that game on the offensive end and foul line!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, but I can't see how anybody can make this argument. UConn held MSU to 66 points in an overtime game. MSU shot a below average 37.3% overall and an even worse 27.3% from 3 pt range. UConn also forced 14 tos. I can understand saying UConn gave up way too many offensive rebounds, was beaten to too many 50/50 balls, but other than that they played pretty good defense. UConn lost that game on the offensive end and foul line!
On it’s face, you might assume that holding a team to 66 pts in OT is a good defensive effort. But I would argue the exact opposite.

MS St walked the ball up the court the entire game, ran their offense and, as you point out, got a number of offensive rebounds, and UConn could do nothing about it. Geno subsequently acknowledged that UConn didn’t do enough to speed up the game and force more turnovers.

My poster child for great defense was the 2010 national championship game between UConn and Stanford. During the 1st half of that game, UConn played great defense, but couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean, so the Huskies were down 10 at half.

During the 2nd half UConn ramped up their defense to a stifling level, while getting just enough offense from Maya, Tina, et al to pull out a 53-47 victory.

Should UConn meet MS St in the FF again this year, I would be surprised to see the Bulldogs reach 60 pts

Reaction Score
On it’s face, you might assume that holding a team to 66 pts in OT is a good defensive effort. But I would argue the exact opposite.

MS St walked the ball up the court the entire game, ran their offense and, as you point out, got a number of offensive rebounds, and UConn could do nothing about it. Geno subsequently acknowledged that UConn didn’t do enough to speed up the game and force more turnovers.

My poster child for great defense was the 2010 national championship game between UConn and Stanford. During the 1st half of that game, UConn played great defense, but couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean, so the Huskies were down 10 at half.

During the 2nd half UConn ramped up their defense to a stifling level, while getting just enough offense from Maya, Tina, et al to pull out a 53-47 victory.

Should UConn meet MS St in the FF again this year, I would be surprised to see the Bulldogs reach 60 pts
Well....when you've got Maya:p!

Reaction Score
Well....when you've got Maya:p!
Yep. A few years ago if you had asked me which team was going to win the national championship, I would have told you whichever team Stewie is on.

Reaction Score
"They're our league's best team," Staley said. "The record shows it, the rankings show it. They did a great job. I'm happy for them, I'm happy for them that they could perform that way in front of all these people. Because there are some people that haven't watched women's basketball before that were in the building. I just hope it's not in vain. They've got to get back in the gym and support this team."

If the Bulldogs give them nights like this, they might follow them all the way to Columbus.

Mississippi State sends message with win in title game rematch

Reaction Score
I think Dawn does well as a coach, which to each his own. She is different, but this far in her career, I think she has acquitted herself very well. The loss of Ty Harris in the first half to fouls and eventually in the fourth quarter really hurts this team's balance. Both of those periods, Miss. St. went on runs as the offense became dysfunctional. If you look at South Carolina' s losses this year, other than the UConn game which was a complete massacre, the other games, South Carolina's struggles came when Ty Harris had to go to the bench. Jackson is learning, but she still isn't ready for big time pressure as the backup point. She is better suited to her natural 2 guard position. Cuevas is a big hurt because she could play either and was our best 3pt shooter last year. The loss of her and transfer of Aarion Bradshaw hurt their depth. This teams needs to find a consistent 3rd scorer to make any type of run. With last night being Lindsey Spann's first night back, she was rusty on both ends of courts. If they can get her back healthy, SC will be fine. Lord the Dawn Hate sometimes gets irritating, but she is Philly tough and will continue to challenge the norm. I do, however like Schaeffer who is now 1-11 against her, and Geno was a big supporter of Dawn for the USA Olympic Team coach so she at least has the respect of some in the know.
I think you made some valid points about the injuries and lack of depth SC has had this year at the guard spot. It’s easy to forget when players go down. Maybe I need to lay off Dawn a bit.

Reaction Score
Having been at the game Monday night at the "Hump", I have to say It was the most electric atmosphere I've ever been apart of in the that building. I was a student at MSU during the early 2000's when their men's team was very good and we would pack that place out on a nightly basis. I never heard it as loud as it was when Blair hit that 2nd 3pt FG in the 2nd half from the corner. It has a sight to behold and it is so great to see so much positive energy surrounding the sport of Woman's basketball. If someone was to tell me 5 years ago that we would sell out Monday night games with standing room only for Woman's basketball I would of taken that bet. They used to HAVE to give away tickets to fill 1/4 of that stadium...now $5 tickets sell for $200+ on stubhub and people line up 4 hours in advance on a Monday afternoon to attend the games...amazing. I will try to post some pictures of the crowd when I get a chance.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Having been at the game Monday night at the "Hump", I have to say It was the most electric atmosphere I've ever been apart of in the that building. ...now $5 tickets sell for $200+ on stubhub and people line up 4 hours in advance on a Monday afternoon to attend the games...amazing. I will try to post some pictures of the crowd when I get a chance.
Welcome aboard! I have a question for you and I know it's just one MSU fans opinion but who is the alpha dog on MSU, I contend it's Vivians and that she warrants 1st team AA consideration over Kelsey Mitchell along with Wilson, Samuelson, Ionescu and Gabby. Many of our colleagues think it's Teira. I looked at all the big games against ranked opponents Oregon, Ok St., Green Bay, Georgia and Vivians has had big game after big game. Same with this SC game. What is your view?

Reaction Score
Welcome aboard! I have a question for you and I know it's just one MSU fans opinion but who is the alpha dog on MSU, I contend it's Vivians and that she warrants 1st team AA consideration over Kelsey Mitchell along with Wilson, Samuelson, Ionescu and Gabby. Many of our colleagues think it's Teira. I looked at all the big games against ranked opponents Oregon, Ok St., Green Bay, Georgia and Vivians has had big game after big game. Same with this SC game. What is your view?

I would def say Vivians is the leader on that team. No question about it.

Reaction Score
Having been at the game Monday night at the "Hump", I have to say It was the most electric atmosphere I've ever been apart of in the that building. I was a student at MSU during the early 2000's when their men's team was very good and we would pack that place out on a nightly basis. I never heard it as loud as it was when Blair hit that 2nd 3pt FG in the 2nd half from the corner. It has a sight to behold and it is so great to see so much positive energy surrounding the sport of Woman's basketball. If someone was to tell me 5 years ago that we would sell out Monday night games with standing room only for Woman's basketball I would of taken that bet. They used to HAVE to give away tickets to fill 1/4 of that stadium...now $5 tickets sell for $200+ on stubhub and people line up 4 hours in advance on a Monday afternoon to attend the games...amazing. I will try to post some pictures of the crowd when I get a chance.

Awesome. That’s what WCBB is all about. Thanks!!!

Reaction Score
I've been out of town since Tuesday traveling, but you can hear the crowd reaction of Blair's 3-pointer within this video.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom