South Carolina is beatable | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina is beatable

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
It's not logical. They are beatable, they just haven't been beaten up to this point. Draw a Venn diagram, you'll see.
On any given day, any team is beatable. I was just posting because someone decided that SoCar is beatable because of how they were playing against Tennessee, even though SoCar scored more point(s) than TN.
Full Stop.

Reaction Score
Except for the Connecticut game, South Carolina hasn't beaten a ranked team by double figures since their first two games in November. They're definitely beatable, but whether someone will is another question.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
That's usually how scouting works. However, if teams don't have the personnel (Tennessee is one of the very few that does), it won't matter.

South Carolina is beatable. Not sure where this "unbeatable" narrative came from, to be honest. It didn't come from Dawn or the rest of the coaching staff. The players have never said that they can't be beat. Didn't come from the South Carolina media. So who's creating this false narrative that has people in a tizzy? Opposing fan bases, who convinced themselves (to feel better in case their respective teams didn't win an upcoming battle with South Carolina) that South Carolina was untouchable during the romps of Notre Dame, Maryland, and Clemson, as if those contests didn't take place months ago.
All of this. Not sure where that narrative is coming from, but it's not us.

This wasn't even supposed to be "our season".. but here we are. Showing up when our number is called.

Reaction Score
Except for the Connecticut game, South Carolina hasn't beaten a ranked team by double figures since their first two games in November. They're definitely beatable, but whether someone will is another question.
But they have beaten a presumptive title contender and defending national champion and preseason pick to win the title twice and they are without a loss, so what is the point. Lol

Reaction Score
But they have beaten a presumptive title contender and defending national champion and preseason pick to win the title twice and they are without a loss, so what is the point. Lol
Take it as a compliment that the expectation is to beat every contender by double digits in non-competitive games , I guess.

Sort of takes a bit to see it, but it's there.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament is a different animal, they went undefeated last year with a roster of WNBA picks and came up against an immovable object in Caitlyn Clark and Iowa. South Carolina is having an all the stars alligning moment because USC and Iowa being potential #1 seeds means they won't face Clark or Watkins until later in the tournament. Those two players should be avoided at all costs for the Gamecocks.

Reaction Score
Oh, for crying out loud. They beat Tennessee only because Tennessee missed two crucial free throws and gave up a lucky banked three pointer to a player who had never made one in college. The debate is not whether they are undefeated, but whether anyone can beat them, to which the obvious answer is yes.

Reaction Score
The NCAA tournament is a different animal, they went undefeated last year with a roster of WNBA picks and came up against an immovable object in Caitlyn Clark and Iowa. South Carolina is having an all the stars alligning moment because USC and Iowa being potential #1 seeds means they won't face Clark or Watkins until later in the tournament. Those two players should be avoided at all costs for the Gamecocks.
South Carolina (substitute any team here) will face major challenges before playing in the Final 4.

Reaction Score
W
We’re beatable because any team is, but that’s a really convoluted way to frame it. Except for a ten pointer on Senior Night, Iowa hasn’t beaten a ranked team by double digits all season.

The teams I would least like to see early in the postseason are Texas, UCLA, and LSU. Also wouldn’t want to face Rickea Jackson in the 2nd round, but seeding rules mean I’d certainly take them in the Final Four.

Thankful if we see LSU again, it will likely be in the title game and the SEC CG means it will almost certainly be well officiated.

Reaction Score
Except for a ten pointer on Senior Night, Iowa hasn’t beaten a ranked team by double digits all season.
And except for beating Indiana, 84-57, in January... it seems there are always exceptions to the exceptions, right?;)

Reaction Score
Why is that?

Reaction Score
Well, here we are at 34-0. Yes, we are still beatable (as are all teams). Indiana could do it tonight. If not, Notre Dame or the Beavers could knock off the 'Cocks in the Elite Eight. Final Four if we are lucky enough to go that far? Who knows, but they will all be talented teams.

If SCar makes it, it will be because of its small but talented bench.The Gamecocks roster has 12 players, but one has already entered the portal after a half-season suspension and another is an injured, early enrollee who is redshirting. Thus, it is an actual roster of only ten players.

MEET THE GAMECOCK BENCH

GUARDS: the two guards substitutes are freshmen, MiLaysia Fulwiley (a 1/2) and Tessa Johnson (a 2/3) . Both were McDonald's All Americans ranked in Hoopgurlz Top 25.
----- "Lay Lay" Fulwiley, a Columbia native, was benched in the regular season game against UNC after 3 only 3 minutes for not giving enough defensive effort. She learned! In the tournament rematch, she had 3 steals and 3 blocked shots on defense to go with her 20 point offensive production. She is the Gamecocks second leading scorer with an average of 12.2 ppg on only 18.9 minutes per game. She backs up the pint guards and shooting guard positions.

-----Tessa started in the tournament opening game against Presbyterian and scored 0 points. The next game, she came off the bench and scored 11 points mostly on 3 pointers. She shoots 43% from long range and averages 5.8 ppg on a 17 minute average. She often has the ball in her hands during the final minutes because she is the team's best free throw shooter hitting at an average of 85%.

BIGS: Contrary to a popular misconception, Dawn rarely utilizes a 3-big lineup. The Gamecocks have three bigs on the bench and one of them, senior JUCO transfer Sakima Walker (6-5), sees limited, mostly mop-up action. The other two, sophomore Ashlyn Watkins (6-3) and junior Saniah Feagan can backup either the 4 or 5 position. Both were McDonald All Americans ranked in Hoopgurlz Top 15.
------Ashlyn is the first off the bench and has started at post/center when Kamilla has been absent. She is a phenomenal leaper with several dunks to her credit and who averages 2.4 blocks per game while playing only 20.3 minutes per game. Her offensive game improved greatly since her freshman year and she averages 9.7 ppg and 7.3 rpg in her "half game minutes. She will start at center next year. She is equally effective at the SF positions to start or backup Chloe Kitts who has almost identical offensive stats.

-----Saniah (15.1 mpg) has always had the offensive skills with her soft touch and nice midrange. Her defensive game has improved this year with the departure of the 2019 "freshies." There is little drop off from Kitts/Kamilla to Watkins/Feagan.

Gamecock stats at South Carolina Gamecocks 2023-24 Women's College Basketball Stats - ESPN

But, one game at a time. Go Gamecocks. Beat the Hoosiers!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Well, here we are at 34-0. Yes, we are still beatable (as are all teams). Indiana could do it tonight. If not, Notre Dame or the Beavers could knock off the 'Cocks in the Elite Eight. Final Four if we are lucky enough to go that far? Who knows, but they will all be talented teams.

But, one game at a time. Go Gamecocks. Beat the Hoosiers!
Good synopsis. Until today, I've said that the only team that could beat S Carolina is S Carolina. Indiana will need to play a more than perfect game, as I don't think they have the offensive power right now. I'll await the results of this game before opining on the next opponent, as I'm not assuming anything past this round. :D

Reaction Score
All the article titles over the past few days have been cracking me up. We went from "This is South Carolina's world and we're just living in it" to "South Carolina is flawed" in the matter of 24 hours. I think this bipolar response to my team is a symptom of their youth and inexperience at this level. They're very talented but lack the focus to sustain their drive when they are up by a big margin.

With that said, I thought Indiana would be the toughest matchup in our region. I feared them more than I did Notre Dame or Oregon State because of their mix of talent, experience, and efficiency at multiple positions that creates a sense of offensive balance. Concerning Notre Dame, they're more guard focused and Oregon State is more interior focused. I think my fear was that we would shut down one aspect of Indiana's game but the other aspects would thrive, whereas with Oregon State and Notre Dame there really isn't a plan B if plan A fails. Oregon State does have some shooters but I don't think they have the same ability to create an opening in 1-on-1 matchups as someone like Sarah Scalia or Sidney Parrish and instead will rely on their offensive scheme to get them open.

So with all that said, I feel more comfortable with our elite eight matchup against Oregon State than our sweet sixteen matchup against Indiana. I hope it isn't a false comfort. :oops:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
SC fan here. SC has been beatable all year. Nobody’s has found a way though. There’s not one player on our team that is a superstar…yet. It’s a collection of great players who play as hard as they can for 40 mins and “literally” not 1.1 second less. That’s the beauty of this team. There’s a different “star” every game. We all thought this team would be good but to have the kind of season they are having is really incredible. They are fun to watch.

Tennessee is a really good team. They lost some of their games when Rikea was hurt and then when she got back it took a while. Key was on limited minutes for much of the season. They will be tough for whoever gets them in their bracket.
The reason...........

Coaching

Chemistry

Character

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Umm a tackle doesn't normally occur when someone has their back turned to them. That was a typical post up but still a bad call.
A steamroll? It was something.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom