South Carolina @ Georgia | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina @ Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do we know who is doing the broadcast Monday? Would be great to see Carolyn choke on that.
To be honest, I don't think the announcers care. Maybe they have biases in terms of who they pick, but I don't think they give a crap if their predictions turn out wrong. They are getting paid either way.

Reaction Score
Why is there so much dislike for the SEC on this board? The league is definitely tough! I've watched a lot of WCBK games over the years and you can really tell the SEC is just "different" than other leagues. Its more physical, almost every team has something they're good at that you have to worry about. Yea you can say....."they haven't been to a FF since 2008"...but before LSU and Tenn were pretty consistent getting to the FF. But that is the past! I'm not being biased here at all btw...I enjoy women's basketball in general and get to watch it a lot...everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but the SEC isn't chopped liver like some here make it out to be.

No, they're not chopped liver. Just over rated. You can't discard the fact that no one from the conference has made it to the final four in a dog's age.
Year after year we hear the same thing, "The SEC is the toughest conference in WCBB." The only problem is they haven't proved it in 6 years. Every year, starting in 2009, the SEC teams were eliminated before making the final four. Last year the SEC had two #1 seeds. Both of which folded as soon as they played a team that offered them some resistance in the round of 16. That is the very definition of underachievement. If you want to be held in higher regard, win something.

Reaction Score
To be honest, I don't think the announcers care. Maybe they have biases in terms of who they pick, but I don't think they give a crap if their predictions turn out wrong. They are getting paid either way.
For all we know ESPN (owners of the SEC network) told her to build up SC, to hype Monday's game. I kinda doubt it though. I'm going with the, "She's just a UCONN hater" theory.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No, they're not chopped liver. Just over rated. You can't discard the fact that no one from the conference has made it to the final four in a dog's age.
Year after year we hear the same thing, "The SEC is the toughest conference in WCBB." The only problem is they haven't proved it in 6 years. Every year, starting in 2009, the SEC teams were eliminated before making the final four. Last year the SEC had two #1 seeds. Both of which folded as soon as they played a team that offered them some resistance in the round of 16. That is the very definition of underachievement. If you want to be held in higher regard, win something.

Too good a post for a simple like. +++++

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Just looked at the box score. SCar shot 38.6% from the floor, 37.5% on threes and 44.4% on fts. Against Jahjuh. How in the name of Abner Doubleday are them same folks going to shoot 49% against UConn? Don't bother to answer, that is what you call your "Rhetorical Question."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think one new experience that UConn will have on Monday night is getting a number of their shots blocked. That hasn't (and won't) happen in the AAC. We will have to see how that affects their offensive output.

I continue to think that ...

1. If UConn makes 8 or more 3-point shots, and shoots 40% or more from 3-point land, UConn will win by double digits.
  2. If points in the paint are roughly equal, UConn will win by double digits.
  3. If Stewie, Morgan, and Kiah can all play 30 minutes or so, and avoid foul trouble or poor performances, UConn will win (although not necessarily by double digits if #1 and #2 are not true).
  4. If Morgan can get 12 points and 8 rebounds, and not give up a lot of points to the Gamecock bigs, UConn will win.
  5. If (somehow) South Carolina can shoot 49%, then the game will be within single digits and South Carolina may win. I consider this very unlikely.
  6. If Gabby Williams can score against South Carolina's post defenders remotely as well as she has been doing in the AAC, UConn will win.
  7. If Bianca Cuevas can outplay Moriah at both ends, South Carolina will have a chance. Quite unlikely.
  8. If UConn can give up 12 or fewer offensive rebounds, and 12 or fewer second-chance points, UConn should win.
  9. If UConn's transition points exceed SC's second-chance points, UConn should win.
I don't think South Carolina wants to play a fast game against UConn. Dawn Staley's game plan may resemble a typical Rutgers game plan -- force both teams into a half-court game, and count on SC's front-court depth to prevail in that game. Geno, on the other hand, will want a fast pace and will want guard play and outside shooting to decide the game. I think Geno will get his wish.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Well Doris can be maddening in her own way, but she doesn't make me want to have a tail just so I could bite the damn thing the way Coach Carolyn does. How she keeps her job is more than I can understand. Can hardly wait until Swin and Sue take over!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Or MoJet, Nurse, STewie. Or... Incidentally, they did not have "minutes played" in the box when I looked. I will be interested to see just how many minutes their much-lauded bench played. I did see that Cuevas had 16 points and Wilson 4.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, Peck thinks SC can shoot 49% against UConn, but they're shooting 40% against a mediocre Georgia team missing two of its best players.
Georgia IS 7th in scoring defense; it's not like they haven't played good defense this season.

Reaction Score
Why is there so much dislike for the SEC on this board? The league is definitely tough! I've watched a lot of WCBK games over the years and you can really tell the SEC is just "different" than other leagues. Its more physical, almost every team has something they're good at that you have to worry about. Yea you can say....."they haven't been to a FF since 2008"...but before LSU and Tenn were pretty consistent getting to the FF. But that is the past! I'm not being biased here at all btw...I enjoy women's basketball in general and get to watch it a lot...everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course but the SEC isn't chopped liver like some here make it out to be.

I don't dislike the SEC. I dislike the ridiculous hype they receive. My problem is that despite not having any national level success for nearly 7 years their mouthpieces in the media still have the nerve to say they have the best conference and put their top teams at the same level as the best teams in the country. It's been going on for the 20 years I've been watching. Twenty years ago there was some truth in it but that train left the station long ago. And when I see a team like Georgia remain in the top 25 year after year, only to exit the tournament the first weekend ( and play as pathetically as they did tonight) it tells me that the conference has been living on a combination of past glory and the reflection of their football prowess.

As far as the league play, there is way too much physicality allowed and too little basketball skill displayed. It seems that they recruit big, strong, athletic women who can't dribble, can't pass and can't shoot. And they graduate 4 years later without ever learning to do anything but rip balls out of the arms of the opposition. Offense in the SEC consists mostly of a missed shot followed by 8 players turning the paint into a mosh pit in a fight for offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Until this year I never got to see many P12 games but my cable co. added the PAC12 network and I have watched a lot of games. They play a much more wide open style. There are actually moments when there is no one in the paint, opposed to the SEC defenses where it seems like they use the native American style of staking themselves in the paint. And in the P12 they actually call fouls on contact. And they can shoot the ball and it goes in the hoop. It's entertaining. In the SEC hip checks and shoves away from the ball are as common as ants at a picnic.

Of course this is just my opinion and I am often wrong. :rolleyes:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I don't dislike the SEC. I dislike the ridiculous hype they receive. My problem is that despite not having any national level success for nearly 7 years their mouthpieces in the media still have the nerve to say they have the best conference and put their top teams at the same level as the best teams in the country. It's been going on for the 20 years I've been watching. Twenty years ago there was some truth in it but that train left the station long ago. And when I see a team like Georgia remain in the top 25 year after year, only to exit the tournament the first weekend ( and play as pathetically as they did tonight) it tells me that the conference has been living on a combination of past glory and the reflection of their football prowess.

As far as the league play, there is way too much physicality allowed and too little basketball skill displayed. It seems that they recruit big, strong, athletic women who can't dribble, can't pass and can't shoot. And they graduate 4 years later without ever learning to do anything but rip balls out of the arms of the opposition. Offense in the SEC consists mostly of a missed shot followed by 8 players turning the paint into a mosh pit in a fight for offensive rebounds and putbacks.

Until this year I never got to see many P12 games but my cable co. added the PAC12 network and I have watched a lot of games. They play a much more wide open style. There are actually moments when there is no one in the paint, opposed to the SEC defenses where it seems like they use the native American style of staking themselves in the paint. And in the P12 they actually call fouls on contact. And they can shoot the ball and it goes in the hoop. It's entertaining. In the SEC hip checks and shoves away from the ball are as common as ants at a picnic.

The media hypes the SEC because the conference is good or great in most sports. Through the years, the SEC has been arguably the best overall WBB and Football conference, one of the top 2 baseball conferences and has the all-time winningest MBB program. In WBB, the SEC hasn't been at the top for the last half dozen years, but still has had a number of good teams. Success aside; other than Vandy and the 2 Mississippi schools, the other schools in the SEC all some of the largest fan bases in the country and, let's face it, announcers, ESPN, etc. are in business to make money. Fans watching on TV = money in their pockets. Right or wrong, announcers do play to their audience.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Georgia IS 7th in scoring defense; it's not like they haven't played good defense this season.

They're pretty decent, 36th in D-FG% but, again, Donald and Barbee were out. Those are by far Georgia's top two rebounders. Coates being out negates some of that but not all.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
They're pretty decent, 36th in D-FG% but, again, Donald and Barbee were out. Those are by far Georgia's top two rebounders. Coates being out negates some of that but not all.
Most definitely; Georgia was definitely shorthanded, but I'll take any win over our second most hated rivals.

Reaction Score
Paraphrasing, but Peck thinks that South Carolina can beat uconn because they are focused, have a strong bench and play great defense. She also mentioned that South Carolina shoots 49% FG and if they do all that, they can win.

HUSKY: thanks for that paraphrase as I didn't hear Peck. Before I respond to her comments, I'll say that I am one of the few on here (nothing new about that position) who see Peck in a positive light for the most part: she is unassuming, seems to be open, personally appealing (to me) AND has coached an NC team at Purdue (I've been part of a lot of championship teams along the way as I'm sure many of you all have as well, but NONE of them were at the top nationally).
That said, and assuming that your paraphrase if quite close to the essence of her comments: "focused"? What team comes to mind? What coaching staff comes to mind? "Strong bench"? What team an staff comes to mind given these last couple of weeks of performance? "Great defense?" I rest my case...........

Reaction Score
While no team in ANY conference is challenged every game, some conferences offer stiffer competition more often.

Since the Huskies are no longer in the toughest league in WBB, kids come to UConn to be challenged every day by the most demanding staff in the game, play a non-conference schedule that is second to none and play in the Final Four as if it was a birthright.

GENET: all that well said. Would add challenged every day in practice by not only demanding staff but also by one of the top handful of teams in the country. Is that an over-statement regarding our second five? If so, Next year it won't be.

Reaction Score
I think one new experience that UConn will have on Monday night is getting a number of their shots blocked. That hasn't (and won't) happen in the AAC. We will have to see how that affects their offensive output.

I continue to think that ...

1. If UConn makes 8 or more 3-point shots, and shoots 40% or more from 3-point land, UConn will win by double digits.
  2. If points in the paint are roughly equal, UConn will win by double digits.
  3. If Stewie, Morgan, and Kiah can all play 30 minutes or so, and avoid foul trouble or poor performances, UConn will win (although not necessarily by double digits if #1 and #2 are not true).
  4. If Morgan can get 12 points and 8 rebounds, and not give up a lot of points to the Gamecock bigs, UConn will win.
  5. If (somehow) South Carolina can shoot 49%, then the game will be within single digits and South Carolina may win. I consider this very unlikely.
  6. If Gabby Williams can score against South Carolina's post defenders remotely as well as she has been doing in the AAC, UConn will win.
  7. If Bianca Cuevas can outplay Moriah at both ends, South Carolina will have a chance. Quite unlikely.
  8. If UConn can give up 12 or fewer offensive rebounds, and 12 or fewer second-chance points, UConn should win.
  9. If UConn's transition points exceed SC's second-chance points, UConn should win.
I don't think South Carolina wants to play a fast game against UConn. Dawn Staley's game plan may resemble a typical Rutgers game plan -- force both teams into a half-court game, and count on SC's front-court depth to prevail in that game. Geno, on the other hand, will want a fast pace and will want guard play and outside shooting to decide the game. I think Geno will get his wish.

JOE: one of the most interesting posts of all time. Thank you, and A tip o' the cap.

Reaction Score

AL: also VERY interesting observations. Appreciated here.

Reaction Score
The media hypes the SEC because the conference is good or great in most sports. Through the years, the SEC has been arguably the best overall WBB and Football conference, one of the top 2 baseball conferences and has the all-time winningest MBB program. In WBB, the SEC hasn't been at the top for the last half dozen years, but still has had a number of good teams. Success aside; other than Vandy and the 2 Mississippi schools, the other schools in the SEC all some of the largest fan bases in the country and, let's face it, announcers, ESPN, etc. are in business to make money. Fans watching on TV = money in their pockets. Right or wrong, announcers do play to their audience.

C: seems on target to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown