South Carolina coach Dawn Staley encourages all colleges to 'get out of their comfort zone' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina coach Dawn Staley encourages all colleges to 'get out of their comfort zone'

Reaction Score
At the core of this all anybody can do is go by their own personal experience. I see things very clearly. I look back on what I have directly experienced. Anything else I say is speculation or based on third party (viewing, listening or reading about something). All three of those experiences have to be discerned carefully.

Forcing anything on people never has a very good outcome. When things evolve and we see change happen over a period of time, it is more sustainable.

Look I wish things were further along for black people. A lot of progress has been made but these issues never get better overnight.

You can’t really refute what I said other than saying something to demean me. I have not criticized or demeaned anyone over this. I am just sharing my opinion.

Back to the original article,I predict we will see more black head coaches in all sports in the years to come but it will be because they have earned it by performance and results, not by some forced diversity. I welcome that and look forward to seeing it evolve. At Mississippi State, I was a big Coach Croom fan and supporter. He did a great job with our football program while he was there. But guess what, he earned the job by his coaching expertise and experience. That was what gave him the opportunity to be the HC. Not some flimsy diversity program.

You seem to ignore counterpoints to your opinions are continue with your strawman points.
You also seem to refused to even entertain the possibility that other people’s take on a situation may be valid and that there is not necessarily ONLY ONE valid way to tackle a problem/view an issue.

Reaction Score
I know exactly what diversity is all about .
In my previous career my career, my boss, my manager was a black man who I worked under for 20 years. We got along just fine (how many of you can say that?). We each respected the other. We did not always agree but it had nothing to do with skin color. Sometimes we just looked at things differently.

In my current career I work under a man from India and a woman from Spain and we serve white, Black, Hispanics, Filipinos, Vietnamese people etc. Guess what? They are all people to me.

This was/is in MS where supposedly we are the worst racists the country. That may have been true 60-70+ years ago.

I have black friends that go back two-three generation’s. They are family. Many of them have succeeded in life. Why? Because their parents/grandparents did not let them use being discriminated against as an excuse for not succeeding. Yes they had to overcome obstacles that were not fair at the time.

Nowadays, I have an old classmate (she calls me her brother and she is like my sister) whose Mom is still living (she is in her mid-eighties). Her Mom bemoans the fact that today these kids are not taking advantage of the vast opportunities that they have today that she was denied back in the 1940’s, 1950’s etc.

So yes life is not perfect but as for diversity it not the core issue here. Forced diversity is not going to help in anyway.

I don’t pretend to live in some comfortable world where all is perfect. Also I have traveled around this country extensively so I don’t just live in a bubble.

Today most businesses, medical organizations, industries, schools etc are looking for competent people who can perform, do the job, are honest and responsible etc. regardless of skin color.
Are their exceptions to this? Absolutely but it is more the exception today and less the rule.

No need to feel sorry for me. I don’t have a warped opinion. Just different from yours but that is okay.
Right. Dude, this is your state flag. This is 2020.

1592591928688.png

The voters in your state voted down a referendum to change it in 2001 - THIS century. So how do you suppose this makes your old boss feel?

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score

View attachment 55540

The voters in your state voted down a referendum to change it in 2001 - THIS century. So how do you suppose this makes your old boss feel?

Actually I voted for the new flag in 2001 but not for the reasons that most people did.

My boss did not really care. The flag situation to him was superficial.

Another one of my black co-workers (who was a tremendous friend to my wife and myself until he died lung cancer later) felt the same way. The flag issue to him did not mean a hill of beans. He was more interested in his son getting his education and doing well in life. I am glad to say that his son has done well for himself as an adult. It was because his Mom and Dad raised him to study hard and work hard and not use excuses as a reason to fail. It goes back to Mom’s and Dad’s instilling values in their children.

My boss had a great Mom and Grandparents (his father was non-existent). Same thing with him. His Mom (whom I love and cherish) and her Father taught him and his brother the value of hard work and the importance of an education. This family was not well to do at all. Just solid middle class. He and I are still good friends today. His Mom, even to this day, has worked tirelessly to help youth take advantage of their opportunities (not letting them use the woe is me as an excuse not to succeed).

I would like to see the flag changed and have supported just that over the years but at the core of that it will not make any real difference.

Reaction Score

View attachment 55540

You should've known the response was going to be I have a black friend or friends who don't have any issues or concerns about that flag.:)Head bang

Last edited:

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
You should've known the response was going to be I have a black friend or friends who don't have any issues or concerns about that flag.:)Head bang
I have a black friend....I had a black boss...I liked them...they liked me...so the world has no issues with blacks....They wrote a paper about this. The Dunning/Kruger effect. I posted a link for GoDawg but I am sure it will be ignored.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I have a black friend....I had a black boss...I liked them...they liked me...so the world has no issues with blacks....They wrote a paper about this. The Dunning/Kruger effect. I posted a link for GoDawg but I am sure it will be ignored.

I am aware of the D/K effect. It is not applicable here. Does not not have anything to do with the conversation at hand but that is okay. I respect your opinion anyway.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I am aware of the D/K effect. It is not applicable here. Does not not have anything to do with the conversation at hand but that is okay. I respect your opinion anyway.
Your statement "it is not applicable here"....just proves exactly what it says...you can not assess your own short comings. Trust me...it applies to you exactly. It's sad you have no idea how horrible and non sensical the very things you say, really are. You could not be more wrong in your position if you tried....but...I will not reply if you are that clueless. It just becomes dark comic entertainment and I am not interested in that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom