South Carolina as 2015 NC Contender | Page 2 | The Boneyard

South Carolina as 2015 NC Contender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
South Cackalacky is a pretty solid squad. They've got the ingredients you need to win a championship: some very good guards, some very good posts. They just haven't integrated them as well as the strong historical UConn teams, or the Griner/Sims version of Baylor, etc. Still time to improve, though. Beating UConn in February will likely require them to live up to some of the preseason "hype" they had, and play at their highest level thus far. And if they do that, it will be the first time they've lived up to the hype against top competition, which is a pretty important thing to do if you want to win championships. :D

I also like what I've seen, re: Staley's management of A'ja Wilson. Remember what the talk was like before she committed anywhere? Stuff like "she'll only want to play the guard/wing role," or "she'll want to go somewhere she can start immediately." Well, we're halfway through the season and A'ja is still coming off the bench, and she's often playing more as a post with some guard skills than a tall guard.

In summary, I will hold on to my "SC as championship contender" shares, rather than sell them or buy some more.

Reaction Score
First of all SC is not beating UConn anywhere and will be very lucky to stay within 20 pts. Second next season they will be a contender to every team but UConn. I don't think people realize how much better UConn is then everybody else. How many teams can be missing starters and win by 25+ pts against ranked teams? UConn has. Stanford was a early season fluke. Right now there isn't a team that can come within double digits of UConn and most not within 20+pts.

Tonyc- - - Yes Stanford was an early season fluke. but it was also the best & most important thing that happened to the Huskies this season! I think Geno & the coaching staff was thrilled in hindsight with the loss, because at that time, it woke the players up to reality and the coaches got their full attention for the rest of the season! The players without both S. Dolson & B. Hartley were feeling their oats and thought they just had to phone it in as UCONN on their jersey's were enough to beat anyone! Look at the improvement in the defense, offense and individual play since the Stanford loss, every aspect of their game is 100% better! And once Ekmark rounds into shape they'll have 9 players they can go to for some quality playing time!
I still think that SoCar though very athletic, has had an easy ride with an overall weak schedule, is not ready for UCONN's offensive and defensive potential! The SEC even with the 6 teams ranked in the top 25 is not as strong as it once was, and their Out-of-Conference schedule was horrible!
You're right, "there isn't a team that can come within double digits of UCONN and most not within 20+pts."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn didn't look like world-beaters against St. Johns, and that was quite recent after all the Stanford lessons had presumably been learned. If they had played like that against South Carolina or even Tennessee, it could have been Loss #2.

I would go easy on the bravado. The ceiling for this UConn team is very high (e.g., against ND), but the consistency remains to be established.

Reaction Score
We convince the Mods to toss you off this board. :)

But...wait...I like cockhrnleghrn ...and... a couple of the Dukies...not, like, the SC asshat who cracked on Courtney...not that one...no...but diversity is good...reasoned opinions are to be considered...even if they are wrong...and misguided...right?...right?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Wilson's got her name on every basketball, you don't hear us complaining about it. :rolleyes:
South Carolina is a poor state and Connecticut is a wealthy one; we have to hang our hats on something!

Reaction Score
The University of South Carolina was founded nearly 50 years before California was even a state.
But nobody cared! Just kidding! There are some people that care but Southern Cal has had a much more historic sports history than does South Carolina. When most people hear SC, they are definitely not thinking of the Gamecocks. The vast majority relate it to the Trojans of Southern Cal. I think this South Carolina team and program carries the hopes of a lot of South Carolina people because they're like UConn in the sense that without any major professional team, we pin our hopes and dreams on the state university's exceptional programs. Can the Gamecocks be successful and continue to be successful? Who knows. Time will tell. Meanwhile, our women's program is historic in nature. Unprecedented in nature!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
South Carolina is for real. they have good guard play and wilson is only getting better. they will be there at the end of the season. i think Tenn is improving also and they will be there to. In the End though We are the best team. if we play our game we win.
Doesn't it figure that maybe UConn is improving, as well??? People come here and say the same things all the time, like their team is maturing and getting better but they are THE ONLY ONE THAT IS???? Tuck hadn't played healthy in forever and now is. Williams is a freshman who is only now becoming the player she can be, after having a very serious injury. Nurse is still evolving, being new to the program though she does have international experience. There are so many different weapons that the Huskies have and UConn has been pretty much kicking butt despite the fact that some of their "stars" have had somewhat flawed performances at times. When everyone is clicking, who would stand a chance. I'm not sure if anyone can stand a chance with two or three players having "off nights". That's the level of depth and talent this team has. The only way to convince people is to do it on the court so I guess we'll have to wait, right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
But nobody cared! Just kidding! There are some people that care but Southern Cal has had a much more historic sports history than does South Carolina. When most people hear SC, they are definitely not thinking of the Gamecocks. The vast majority relate it to the Trojans of Southern Cal. I think this South Carolina team and program carries the hopes of a lot of South Carolina people because they're like UConn in the sense that without any major professional team, we pin our hopes and dreams on the state university's exceptional programs. Can the Gamecocks be successful and continue to be successful? Who knows. Time will tell. Meanwhile, our women's program is historic in nature. Unprecedented in nature!!!!!!!!!!!!

two states.png

:cool:

Reaction Score
Mark down that Kia Nurse will continue to get better as the season goes on. Tournament time, stars step up see Stewie, and Kia with her international experience, IMHO will do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom