South Africa | The Boneyard

South Africa

Reaction Score
Has anyone been?

SO teaches/researches at the university-level and she has a job interview in Cape Town. Thinking we'll take 10 days or so and see the sights.

Any recommendations? There's stuff all over the internet, but I trust the Boneyard more ;)

Reaction Score
Has anyone been?

SO teaches/researches at the university-level and she has a job interview in Cape Town. Thinking we'll take 10 days or so and see the sights.

Any recommendations? There's stuff all over the internet, but I trust the Boneyard more ;)
Just saw your post so I am not sure if you already went. If you did ,it would be a nice post to share your experiences.

If you are still deciding, the stats show it is a high crime country, but many tourists still visit it.

If I were up in the air about it, I would call your Congressperson and ask him or her to dig around and find out for you. They have contacts with Embassy Personnel and Security Experts and can give you a fairly scientific answer without being biased or "having any skin in the game."

I have no direct knowledge of the place, but anywhere where there are extensive security precautions, might give me some pause.

Whatever you and the SO decide, I wish you both the best.

Reaction Score
Just saw your post so I am not sure if you already went. If you did ,it would be a nice post to share your experiences.

If you are still deciding, the stats show it is a high crime country, but many tourists still visit it.

If I were up in the air about it, I would call your Congressperson and ask him or her to dig around and find out for you. They have contacts with Embassy Personnel and Security Experts and can give you a fairly scientific answer without being biased or "having any skin in the game."

I have no direct knowledge of the place, but anywhere where there are extensive security precautions, might give me some pause.

Whatever you and the SO decide, I wish you both the best.

The job wouldn't be until 2021. We are going to try to stay in the USA, I think. The stuff she researches has more conferences and colleagues here, and we have pets/family etc. to consider.

I think we'll still take a visit next summer though. South Africa is known as a high crime area, but the main tourist drags are going to be okay with some basic safety precautions, it seems. We are both experienced travelers, so we're not too concerned on that end.

Plan is probably to go to Cape Town + the peninsula, a few days on the Garden Route, up to Johannesburg, and into Kruger for maybe 5 days self-drive safari.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom