Source: UCONN & RU next up???? | The Boneyard

Source: UCONN & RU next up????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
why rutgers ? seriously. their football team stumbles upon modest success once a decade. thats a reason to add them to your conference ?!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
why rutgers ? seriously. their football team stumbles upon modest success once a decade. thats a reason to add them to your conference ?!
According to their fans, they own the NYC market;) But seriously, NJ is a decent recruiting area for fb.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Rutgers has gotten more mileage out of one football game than any school I can think of. I wish WV was ranked higher academically, a much better traditional program for all sports.

Reaction Score
ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Swofford said the ACC is comfortable at 14, but not philosophically opposed to 16.
Not sure if that means anything.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'm going to give K credit. I bet he wants Syracuse and UConn in the ACC. He's a guy who loves basketball, and until 2003, the ACC was tops (or always 1 or 2). After expansion with three football schools, the ACC has kind of sucked, and I think you started to see Duke flop a lot more in the NCAAs.

He may not get what he wants, but I think he'd prefer the ACC adds teams a team like UConn. Syracuse, UConn, Pitt, Duke, UNC, Maryland is a great top of the conference. It isn't the top of the 16 BE team conference, but its really good. It becomes the best basketball conference by taking 2 of the top 3 BE programs (save Louisville).
Setting up a north conference with the former BE programs and Maryland lets the Tobacco Road schools go back to a more traditional division for conference hoops, which is probably the expansion sell for Duke. That, and allowing Duke to claim membership in the best basketball conference in the land.

Reaction Score
ACC basketball tourney moving to NYC?

Just a thought.
ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Depending on contractual agreements, why couldn't ACC play tourney at MSG in future? Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt would easily sell it out.

Reaction Score
It's right now in NC - which makes sense with Duke and UNC - but they're national brands (see Duke crowd at MSG vs. UConn). MSG wants top level basketball. ACC offer that now, but with UConn, they even bring a major market there full with legend at MSG. Makes a lot of sense.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Going to the ACC would make the most sense, but that's assuming the ACC wants us, what with the lawsuit we were part of when BCU etc left.

Reaction Score
A 16 team ACC would suck all the basketball talent away from the other schools in America. It would be a one-stop shop for basketball.

ESPN would be all ACC all the time. The conference championship would make the NCAA tourney (and CBS) a formality.

Anyone who totally disregards basketball in all this is thinking small.

Reaction Score
At this point- I would love if we made this move. The BE is a shell of it's former self with Pitt and Quse gone. I feel like we need to run like Forest Gump fast and find a new home. I live in Atlanta and could drive to see games? Shut the front door- that would be awesome.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A 16 team ACC would suck all the basketball talent away from the other schools in America. It would be a one-stop shop for basketball.

ESPN would be all ACC all the time. The conference championship would make the NCAA tourney (and CBS) a formality.

Anyone who totally disregards basketball in all this is thinking small.

Interesting thought. A move to the ACC would greatly aid the next Head Coach (Ollie) in that scenario. One of the positives that could come out of this potential move.

Reaction Score
The ACC easily makes the most sense IMO. First of all, you keep the rivalries with Pitt and Quse, renew the rivalry with BC and get a chance to start a new one with Dook/UNC/Maryland. You play the ACC North once or twice a week meaning the travel won't be much worse than it is now, plus, the football program won't be any worse off than they are now. This is a move UConn has to push for.

Reaction Score
Pitt sued them too. It was a decade ago, and all the major players (state gov., state AG, school AD, school prez) are gone. Are they really going to hold that much of a grudge?
The lawsuit might be forgotten, but bcu will, most likely fight against UConn joining the ACC. That's DeFlippo with his lingering anger. Hopefully, if we are invited, bcu's opinion means little.

Reaction Score
Ruuty & UConn make perfect sense and would be almost guaranteed unless somehow ND or UT could be lured in.

Solid academics, flagship state university with a decent alumni base, and with Syracuse, UConn and Rutgers, you essentially lock up the NYC market (St. John's has appeal too, but those three outweigh them). But you need all three to really take NYC, just as you need UConn and BC to make an impact in the Boston market...

Our problem--NYC and Boston are pro towns. Is there enough of a market share?

Reaction Score
I think the only thing holds back these leagues from ironing all this out, going 16 is simply the jockeying for ND and secondly Texas. A Big Ten can call it's shot - leave slots open because of that. Any team invited by them will go. They are in no rush and want to make the right addition. What would kill them is if they expanded to 16 and forced ND to make a move to conference alignment and ND went in another direction. So I think they are playing their cards very wisely in holding out on that possibility. The ideal Big Ten conference would probably look a little like ND, Texas, Missouri and I suppose Texas Tech because of their UT ties. I think the Cuse/Pitt saw the writing on the wall that the Big Ten was going to wait on their ideals and had to make a move - they were likely not getting into the Big Ten anytime soon. I would think that all these conferences have their ideal 16 laid out. The ACC, being the weaker of the bunch, doesn't have the ability hold out, has to take the best of the 2nd tier ideals and lock itself up.

Reaction Score
Maryland and anyone else could easily leave the ACC whenever they wanted. $20 million is nothing when a conference with ND in it would vault a TV payout over $30 million per team from its current $25. That means Maryland makes its money back in 1.5 years AND we know Maryland's AD is already bleeding lots of $$.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz

Depending on contractual agreements, why couldn't ACC play tourney at MSG in future? Duke, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt would easily sell it out.
This presumes that the BET won't be happening there. I think everyone is concerned about it viability but it is bad form to bury people before they are dead. So is Swofford classless? Is there a second shoe coming? Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom