Sour grapes from the Memphis newspaper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sour grapes from the Memphis newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
comments section on the commerical appeal article is pretty funny.

"this story should be fall under the crime section" is probably my favorite.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
"Proud" in what way? No one, and I mean no one is ever going to mention Memphis when talking about programs of note over the last 20 years or so.

"Once" does not have an arbitrary time limit based on your memory. Keith Lee, Penny Hardaway, Andre Turner et al would disagree.

Reaction Score
Let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks that hiring a kid's father as an assistant is a good idea. Can't imagine a better way to poison team chemistry.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Memphis is closer to UMASS that any elite program. A few monochrome era stars and the personal chop shop of the squid brought some national pub first good then bad.

Reaction Score
Memphis is closer to UMASS that any elite program. A few monochrome era stars and the personal chop shop of the squid brought some national pub first good then bad.

Memphis is a solid basketball program and was before squid got there. They aren't a top 20 program but they are in that second tier.

Memphis state with Anfernee Hardaway is the same program as university of Memphis

11 sweet 16 appearances
6 elite 8
3 final 4s
2 runner-up

Espn stats ranked them #19 out of all college bball for best program from 1962-2012

They are in no way UMess except for vacated seasons in the mid 80s and derrick rose year

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UMass had Dr. J. Any program can ride an elite player to the Top 25. That was the point. Memphis most years would have finished in the bottom half of the Old BE. Even Villanova is a better program.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Let this be a lesson to anyone who thinks that hiring a kid's father as an assistant is a good idea. Can't imagine a better way to poison team chemistry.
I wonder if Lawson and his sons all are on the next train out if Pastner gets canned. Daddy needs to get paid.

Reaction Score
UMass had Dr. J. Any program can ride an elite player to the Top 25. That was the point. Memphis most years would have finished in the bottom half of the Old BE. Even Villanova is a better program.

Memphis all time record Wins -1,483 Losses-862 Ties-1 Winning Percentage- .632
UMass all time record Wins- 1,239 Losses-1,089 Ties-0 Winning Percentage- .532
Villanova all time record Wins-1,646 Losses- 911 Ties- 0 Winning Percetage- .644

2 of those schools are alike and one is not. I wonder which school is the one that isnt.

Memphis ranks 25th in all time winning percentage of every single division 1 basketball school.

Syracuse, UConn, St Johns, Nova, Cinci, Louisville are the only Big East (the big east as we remember it) that have a higher all time winning percentage. Temple is the only other team in our current conference with a higher winning percentage.

They are ranked 61 all time for all time victories even with all their vacated seasons (5 seasons I believe).

Memphis was a great bball school in the 70s-mid 90s. They fell off in the 90s and came back into the spotlight under Calipari.

You are severely underrating Memphis basketball program.

Reaction Score
Welcome to playing with the big boys. Even though the American is a hot steamy pile to us- it is a vasty more competitive conference then they have ever played in- the days of running over everyone and getting a bid are over.
Step up or shut up.

Reaction Score
I doubt that. If Memphis had been in the old BE, they likely would have gotten even better players than they had, and been a real factor in the league. You might notice that Louisville, and Cincy, who shared leagues with Memphis for most of the 70's, 80's, and 90's, had zero trouble competing in the BE when they came aboard. Neither did Marquette for that matter. As for Nova, they've been one of the most consistently competitive programs in America, since Al Severance got them rolling in the 1940s. The list of programs better than Nova is fairly short.

Reaction Score
UMass had Dr. J. Any program can ride an elite player to the Top 25. That was the point. Memphis most years would have finished in the bottom half of the Old BE. Even Villanova is a better program.[/QUOT
Welcome to playing with the big boys. Even though the American is a hot steamy pile to us- it is a vasty more competitive conference then they have ever played in- the days of running over everyone and getting a bid are over.
Step up or shut up.
The old Metro conference ,with Memphis, Louisville,and Cinn ,Georgia a Tech and St Louis University wasn't to shabby

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
maybe they should start a collection for Pastner's $10,000,000.00 buy-out

I'll send them a couple of bucks, what they're going through sucks

but how on earth did he get that good a buy-out?

Reaction Score
who would've thought when the AAC formed that memphis would be a more solid football addition than basketball

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'll send them a couple of bucks, what they're going through sucks

but how on earth did he get that good a buy-out?
The Memphis board said it's not so much a buyout penalty, as it is the money left on his (stupidly extended) contract. They overpaid for him after the first couple of years because his recruiting was good, and didn't want him leaving for a better gig.

Reaction Score
The Memphis board said it's not so much a buyout penalty, as it is the money left on his (stupidly extended) contract. They overpaid for him after the first couple of years because his recruiting was good, and didn't want him leaving for a better gig.
Schools make this mistake all the time. Xavier never overpays. When their coach moves on, they keep winning. Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and Miller have all moved on, yet the program is better than ever. VCU is on their fourth coach since they started winning, and the winning continues. If you have your program in order, good coaches will be lined up to take the job, and they'll have the tools in place to keep winning. Memphis is never going to have trouble attracting good candidates, thus they should never have put themselves in such a tough position, especially with a coach that really hadn't proved himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom