Sour grapes from the Memphis newspaper | The Boneyard

Sour grapes from the Memphis newspaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn looked fantastic in the second half. But, the Commercial Appeal ran an article with this quote:

?A once-proud basketball program was losing by 20 points to a thoroughly mediocre Connecticut team."

Mediocre?? What??

Reaction Score
To this point, we are mediocre. They have a gripe. Memphis played really soft and let us dominate them. Our guys had a lot to do with it but if we played like they did, we'd be saying the same thing. That was not a gritty performance by Memphis, especially at home.

Personally, it appears we've turned a corner with Adams evolution and soon enough, the rest of the country will know it. Then this Memphis writer will realize what really happened last night.

Reaction Score
UConn looked fantastic in the second half. But, the Commercial Appeal ran an article with this quote:

?A once-proud basketball program was losing by 20 points to a thoroughly mediocre Connecticut team."

Mediocre?? What??

It's just a hometown columnist greasing the skids to get a coach fired. He's not looking to denigrate us, he's building the 'Pastner must go' narrative.

Reaction Score
It's just a hometown columnist greasing the skids to get a coach fired. He's not looking to denigrate us, he's building the 'Pastner must go' narrative.
This!
UConn can't afford to have Memphis playing like S. Florida while they're in this league. A total collapse by Memphis will get Pastner out of there so they can hire a real coach.

Reaction Score
"Proud" in what way? No one, and I mean no one is ever going to mention Memphis when talking about programs of note over the last 20 years or so. I agree, it has to be a setup to start putting the pressure on Pastner to be fired.

Reaction Score

One of my friends worked for the Commercial Appeal last year covering the Memphis Grizzlies beat. According to his sources, many prominent boosters wanted Pastner out last year, but his contract calls for a $10M buyout which was a major roadblock

Reaction Score
"Proud" in what way? No one, and I mean no one is ever going to mention Memphis when talking about programs of note over the last 20 years or so. I agree, it has to be a setup to start putting the pressure on Pastner to be fired.
Memphis is obviously not at the level of the elites, but let's not act like they're Rutgers. 12 trips to the NCAAs in the last 21 years. Georgetown, who most on this board view as some sort of elite program, has the exact same number in the same period, with a similar performance in the tournament. Memphis isn't Duke, but they should be better than what they're showing lately (Georgetown too for that matter).

Reaction Score
Memphis is certainly a notable program.

For their constant violations.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
even when they were "proud", we were better

and I want them to improve, we need them

Reaction Score
To this point, we are mediocre. They have a gripe. Memphis played really soft and let us dominate them. Our guys had a lot to do with it but if we played like they did, we'd be saying the same thing. That was not a gritty performance by Memphis, especially at home.

Personally, it appears we've turned a corner with Adams evolution and soon enough, the rest of the country will know it. Then this Memphis writer will realize what really happened last night.

Their FT shooting was god awful... It they make a better %, it would have kept things a lot closer...but in general, Memphis played the 2nd half like they had another appointment that they needed to get to...

Reaction Score
One of my friends worked for the Commercial Appeal last year covering the Memphis Grizzlies beat. According to his sources, many prominent boosters wanted Pastner out last year, but his contract calls for a $10M buyout which was a major roadblock
To back this up, a good friend of mine is sports director for one of the Memphis TV stations. He told me weeks ago that Pastner is on thin ice. I have not however had lunch with Andre.

Reaction Score
"Uconn team still finding it's identity lays down the hammer on a never all that proud memphis program"

Fixed

Reaction Score
I was shocked to see the place was about 60% full and there was NO energy in the building. But if they report basketball attendance the way they do football it was probably a sellout.

Reaction Score
In the last 20 years they have probably accomplished more in basketball than any member of the former BE outside of us, Cuse and Lville (i may be missing someone) and their fan support has been equally as impressive. This is not PC or Seton Hall we are talking about.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I look at that statement as a compliment to the program.
This is definately not the best UConn team, not even top 15 (maybe), yet there are many programs who would love to have the guys on this team.
So yeah, this is a mediocre in the sense of it being a UConn team.
I think it was more of a slap to the Memphis program than anything else.
Wonder if Pastner knows how to coach bigs?

Reaction Score
Their FT shooting was god awful... It they make a better %, it would have kept things a lot closer...but in general, Memphis played the 2nd half like they had another appointment that they needed to get to...

The thing with the missed free throws on Memphis' side of the scoreboard is that we should have taken 20 more free throws than we did. For us to throttle them while being screwed on call after call is even more impressive.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
We are high end mediocre.
I like it.
We're like the top brand at Macy's, he haven't exactly reached Nordstrom's yet, but the way we play D, there's a good chance we could actually end up at Neiman Marcus of Houston at the end of the season.

Reaction Score

Mediocre programs don't win 20 games in what they consider awful years.
Calling this year's addition mediocre is a little harsh ,but I don't think it was aimed at us as much as it was aimed at the current state of the Memphis program and its coach. Teams with the tradition of Memphis shouldn't be humiliated at home by anyone,let alone another unrated team struggling for recognition.
( this is my 2000 post) wow. ( I really would have preferred commenting on a P5 invite or number 5 ,but I feel good about last night)

Reaction Score
maybe they should start a collection for Pastner's $10,000,000.00 buy-out

pastner.png

Oh, they're trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads