Sounds Like Wichita Doesn't Agree with Aresco... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sounds Like Wichita Doesn't Agree with Aresco...

Reaction Score
Aresco will be profoundly embarrassed in front of his schools when ESPN renegotiates the deal downward.
He already is. UConn just put a big dent in his P6 narrative.

He obviously should have rather had us paid as such, rather than sacrifice us to his TV buddies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Mike Aresco might be the worst commissioner in the country
We had worse though

784A6A36-6D74-470E-AE5C-2E22AB172033.jpeg

What about Marinatto's brilliant plan to try and move Villanova up to FBS? That wasted six or seven months all by itself. What about, I don't know, maybe getting aggressive and trying to tear apart the Big XII in the middle of their 2010 existential crisis? Instead, Marinatto sent the Big XII office flowers after they settled their differences, because he was more worried about losing teams than trying to gain them. What a nice guy!

Reaction Score
Also smart to be nice to UConn.

IF the big east ever wanted to add a 12th (I don’t think they will) Wichita St would be heavily considered
i wish we could bring them with us after reading this.

Reaction Score
He already is. UConn just put a big dent in his P6 narrative.

He obviously should have rather had us paid as such, rather than sacrifice us to his TV buddies.

Yea, he knew we did not like the new Conference agreement with ESPN. But he took it. Didn't compensate us as the alpha dog we were in that conference. Anyone who says otherwise is a short term thinker. Big mistake. Now I don't know if this would have happen anyways but he took a risk. Travel was a problem for us. Not being able to go to conference tournaments easily for basketball was a problem. Now he has a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For starters, UConn was the largest national brand in the conference and gave the American a huge presence in the northeast. While UConn men’s basketball team has struggled recently, it did win a national championship as recently as 2014, and Geno Auriemma and the women’s basketball team are established as the best program in the country.

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright said there’s no denying it is a blow to the conference.

“To say it isn’t is complete garbage,” Boatright said. “They are a fantastic national brand and operate some great programs, and their men’s basketball program is in a resurgence, which would have led to financial gain for the entire conference.

“It hurts, but we sure understand it. You have to go through and evaluate your institution and what’s best for it, and the term ‘best’ can be defined in many different ways.”

Not too long ago, it was Boatright who was evaluating the state of his athletics program in the Missouri Valley Conference and determining the AAC would be a better fit for the Shockers moving forward. From that perspective, he can relate.

“We hate to see them go, but I don’t blame them if they believe that’s what is best for them,” Boatright said. “They were a fantastic partner of ours and an ally of ours when we were going through the process of trying to get an invitation into the American. I’ll never forget that and our institution will never forget that either. Connecticut will always have a friend in the Shockers.”

‘We hate to see them go’: WSU athletic director opens up about UConn’s departure from AAC

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Aresco is a major jackarse, all you need to know is how he handled the TV contract negotiation.
The ESPN+ deal did everything to satisfy a bonus clause in his employment contract ($1 billion) and little for ALL AAC members or their fans!

Reaction Score
Bottom line, the AAC is a conference made up of schools that are looking for greener pastures. Every school is looking out for their best interest. We can debate if moving to the Big East is the right LT decision for UConn, but every AAC school would leave in an instant if they were offered what they perceived was a better option.

Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ESPN+ deal did everything to satisfy a bonus clause in his employment contract ($1 billion) and little for ALL AAC members or their fans!

Is there a source for this?

Reaction Score
I wanna hear what Cincinnati has to say about this but I’d love to schedule WSU OOC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom