Sounds Like Wichita Doesn't Agree with Aresco... | The Boneyard

Sounds Like Wichita Doesn't Agree with Aresco...

Reaction Score
For starters, UConn was the largest national brand in the conference and gave the American a huge presence in the northeast. While UConn men’s basketball team has struggled recently, it did win a national championship as recently as 2014, and Geno Auriemma and the women’s basketball team are established as the best program in the country.

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright said there’s no denying it is a blow to the conference.

“To say it isn’t is complete garbage,” Boatright said. “They are a fantastic national brand and operate some great programs, and their men’s basketball program is in a resurgence, which would have led to financial gain for the entire conference.

“It hurts, but we sure understand it. You have to go through and evaluate your institution and what’s best for it, and the term ‘best’ can be defined in many different ways.”

Not too long ago, it was Boatright who was evaluating the state of his athletics program in the Missouri Valley Conference and determining the AAC would be a better fit for the Shockers moving forward. From that perspective, he can relate.

“We hate to see them go, but I don’t blame them if they believe that’s what is best for them,” Boatright said. “They were a fantastic partner of ours and an ally of ours when we were going through the process of trying to get an invitation into the American. I’ll never forget that and our institution will never forget that either. Connecticut will always have a friend in the Shockers.”

‘We hate to see them go’: WSU athletic director opens up about UConn’s departure from AAC

Reaction Score
For starters, UConn was the largest national brand in the conference and gave the American a huge presence in the northeast. While UConn men’s basketball team has struggled recently, it did win a national championship as recently as 2014, and Geno Auriemma and the women’s basketball team are established as the best program in the country.

Wichita State athletic director Darron Boatright said there’s no denying it is a blow to the conference.

“To say it isn’t is complete garbage,” Boatright said. “They are a fantastic national brand and operate some great programs, and their men’s basketball program is in a resurgence, which would have led to financial gain for the entire conference.

“It hurts, but we sure understand it. You have to go through and evaluate your institution and what’s best for it, and the term ‘best’ can be defined in many different ways.”

Not too long ago, it was Boatright who was evaluating the state of his athletics program in the Missouri Valley Conference and determining the AAC would be a better fit for the Shockers moving forward. From that perspective, he can relate.

“We hate to see them go, but I don’t blame them if they believe that’s what is best for them,” Boatright said. “They were a fantastic partner of ours and an ally of ours when we were going through the process of trying to get an invitation into the American. I’ll never forget that and our institution will never forget that either. Connecticut will always have a friend in the Shockers.”

‘We hate to see them go’: WSU athletic director opens up about UConn’s departure from AAC

Look, he’s right, he’s intelligent and classy. Amazing.

Reaction Score
Aresco is a major jackarse, all you need to know is how he handled the TV contract negotiation.

Once ESPN figured out Aresco was more interested in getting to a big, round, shiny number to boost his own ego than he was in extracting maximum value for the AAC, they absolutely abused him in the negotiations. That media “deal” was a travesty.

Reaction Score
And now, rather than shutting his mouth publicly and figuring out his next move with the remaining schools, ESPN, and the AACs lawyers, Aresco is shooting his mouth off about UConn every chance he gets to make himself sound big. That is only going to hurt him and help us.

Reaction Score
I'll say it again. This was so completely avoidable, The AAC was easily the next best conference outside of the P-5(in football) and hoops was/is definitely on the rise. They totally effed up the TV deal, and kind of forced UConn's hand. Not would I would have done here....but it is done, and I get it. The Football team will have to work harder than ever or blow it up. I would hate to see the latter happen.

Reaction Score
I posted this a few years ago but I'll say it again. A friend of mine is in the sports broadcasting business and had meetings with Val Ackerman and Aresco days apart a few years ago. He told me he was impressed with Ackerman as an executive and underwhelmed with Aresco. He said the whole conference was in trouble if we were relying on Aresco to lead the conference to prominence. That comment always stuck in my head.

Reaction Score
Wow that was actually really nice, even beyond just a professional level. Schedule a baseball series at the very least.
As the possibility of playing UConn at least 2X/season was likely one of Boatright’s biggest internal arguments for Witchita St to join the AAC and leave the MVC, his comments are no surprise. On top of maintaining his relationship with people and a school who went to bat for him and WSU, not so shockingly he’s likely covering his backside internally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom