Sounds like Art Briles is pissed | The Boneyard

Sounds like Art Briles is pissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big 12 commisioner Bob Bowlsby. He is upset that the conference all year has trumpeted the slogan "One True Champion". Immediately after the game Bowlsby said he would present both them and TCU as conference champions to playoff commitee. It would be poetic justice if the Big 12 gets left out due to not having conference championship game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Art Briles is a dimwit who will never play for a national championship because he will never coach a defense good enough to win one. His argument that his team is worthy of inclusion ignores the fact that he played in a conference full of mediocre to downright awful teams, except for the top three.

I am very amused at the position the Big 12 finds itself in. What a bunch of weak-kneed loser schools, still allowing Texas to call all the shots. They all acquiesced to all of T Sip U's demands about them being allowed to have their own private TV network, which has turned out to be a financial disaster for everyone involved (ESPN), and they allow one school to continue to run roughshod over all the rest of the schools in the conference. The only reason they have no conference championship game is because The T sippers are wet pants scared about losing it, because they've lost it so many times in the past, keeping them out of the running for the BCS national championship game. The league won't have a rep in the Top 4 this season, thanks mostly to the T sippers.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's no shortage of stupidity here on a daily basis, but I'm still trying to get my mind around "Art Briles is a dimwit". If he's a dimwit, the rest of the country is being coached by amoebas.

He's like 22-3 over the past two years. He's sitting with a top six team right now. He just helped Baylor open a facility nicer than the Taj Majal and he's one of the guys proving that offensive efficiency is probably the number one statistic predicting success in college football right now. (Oregon, Baylor, Bama and OSU all top six in OE.) He's turned Baylor into a national name.

As for the Big 12, their members are probably all clearing near enough to $30M once T3 rights are tallied. Whether they put a team in the playoffs or not, (and they did have three teams in the top nine going into the day), I think they'll be all right.

I get that you seem to hold some bizarre grudge against Texas, but good god, man, be rational.

Reaction Score
I think Briles has a point, :

Yet in July at Big 12 media days Bowlsby said, “We're always going to apply a tiebreaker to determine who our champion is, because we have to put forth a representative to one of the bowl games. So even though the records may be exactly the same, there's either a head-to-head competition with the same record or there's a tiebreaker imposed. So we always are going to get to the point of a true champion.”

He just sees that TCU has better overall resume. Oh well and yeah, Briles has turned Baylor, Baylor into a schoo that can be talked about in the same breath with the true heavyweights. No small task.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think Briles has a point, :

Yet in July at Big 12 media days Bowlsby said, “We're always going to apply a tiebreaker to determine who our champion is, because we have to put forth a representative to one of the bowl games. So even though the records may be exactly the same, there's either a head-to-head competition with the same record or there's a tiebreaker imposed. So we always are going to get to the point of a true champion.”

He just sees that TCU has better overall resume. Oh well and yeah, Briles has turned Baylor, Baylor into a schoo that can be talked about in the same breath with the true heavyweights. No small task.

Bowlsby is the guy who fired Tom Davis as the basketball coach at Iowa, just because he was too old, in his opinion. I believe Davis' last game was in the Sweet 16 vs. UCONN in 1999. They almost beat us in that game. Then Bowlsby hired Steve Alford, which didn't work out all that well for Iowa. Bowlsby is a clueless UT lapdog.

I think it's hysterical that Baylor hired a PR firm to lobby for inclusion in the Final Four. If they were in fact a "true heavyweight" they wouldn't have to resort to mailing out flyers to committee members, who will do nothing but toss 'em in the trash can anyway. Let your record speak for itself and quit whining!

Reaction Score
Art Briles is a dimwit who will never play for a national championship because he will never coach a defense good enough to win one. His argument that his team is worthy of inclusion ignores the fact that he played in a conference full of mediocre to downright awful teams, except for the top three.

I am very amused at the position the Big 12 finds itself in. What a bunch of weak-kneed loser schools, still allowing Texas to call all the shots. They all acquiesced to all of T Sip U's demands about them being allowed to have their own private TV network, which has turned out to be a financial disaster for everyone involved (ESPN), and they allow one school to continue to run roughshod over all the rest of the schools in the conference. The only reason they have no conference championship game is because The T sippers are wet pants scared about losing it, because they've lost it so many times in the past, keeping them out of the running for the BCS national championship game. The league won't have a rep in the Top 4 this season, thanks mostly to the T sippers.

What has hapened to this board? The level of lunacy it takes to call a coach a Nitwit who has taken BAYLOR to back to back Big XII titles or co-titles is absolutely beyond my comprehension. The "nitwit," with any objectivety, has done one of the best jobs coaching in the country. And saying 'Bama is better than Baylor does not make the job Saban has done better than the job Broyles has done.

There are days I think this fanbase doesn't deserve a decent football program.

Reaction Score
What has hapened to this board? The level of lunacy it takes to call a coach a Nitwit who has taken BAYLOR to back to back Big XII titles or co-titles is absolutely beyond my comprehension. The "nitwit," with any objectivety, has done one of the best jobs coaching in the country. And saying 'Bama is better than Baylor does not make the job Saban has done better than the job Broyles has done.

There are days I think this fanbase doesn't deserve a decent football program.
I'm sorry did someone insinauate that Saban has done a better job than Briles? I'd argue no one has done a better job than Briles. The only two in the conversation are Peterson when he was at Boise, and Patterson at TCU. Whittingham at Utah also stands out. Barry Alvarez turning Wisconsin from Indiana into what they are now was the most the amazing job I had ever seen personally. If Briles succesors keep them humming close to their current level he may even trump them, but they need many years of sustained excellence for that.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry did someone insinauate that Saban has done a better job than Briles? I'd argue no one has done a better job than Briles. The only two in the conversation are Peterson when he was at Boise, and Patterson at TCU. Whittingham at Utah also stands out. Barry Alvarez turning Wisconsin from Indiana into what they are now was the most the amazing job I had ever seen personally. If Briles succesors keep them humming close to their current level he may even trump them, but they need many years of sustained excellence for that.

The second post in the thread, repeated, said that Briles was a dimwit. My comment was not directed at your OP.

Reaction Score

I would agree with the above but the all time number 1 job in building a program is the job that Bill Snyder has done at KState not once but twice.

Reaction Score
I would agree with the above but the all time number 1 job in building a program is the job that Bill Snyder has done at KState not once but twice.
Yeah, I agree don't know he slipped my mind. He is usually the guy I point to when I make the point that the right coach can win big anywhere.

Reaction Score
“My opinion, since people are asking, I think the committee needs to be a little more regionalized with people that are associated with the south part of the United States,” he said. “I’ll say that. I’m not sure there’s a connection on there that’s familiar with the Big 12 Conference. To me, that’s an issue. We’re all humans. When I die, they’re not going to bury me in Maryland. They’re going to bury me in Texas. When those people die, they’re not going to bring them down here and lay their body to rest. They’re going to lay them to rest where they’ve lived all their lives and teams they follow and know.

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Art-Briles-Get-happy-or-get-your-ass-out

I do not agree with Art. Think he is a great coach, but he is proposing bias and favoratism. Should we strictly leave this in the hands of a computer system in order to make sure we DONT get what Briles is proposing? Impose some limit where no more than two teams from one conference can make so the SEC doesn't take all four spots?

Reaction Score
Yeah, but imagine the stink if Ohio Sate was left out.

The B10 would have gone ballistic.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree don't know he (Snyder) slipped my mind. He is usually the guy I point to when I make the point that the right coach can win big anywhere.
Sure, with a roster of Jucos, minimal academic considerations which won't fly at UCONN, etc.

Reaction Score
Sure, with a roster of Jucos, minimal academic considerations which won't fly at UCONN, etc.
Over rated aspect to what he has done. If it was that easy, everyone would take JUCOs.

Reaction Score
He's a very good O coach, but he is also comes across in a not positive way. Bowlsby said there would be a tiebreaker to decide bowl games, and there is, and Baylor got it.

And now this guy is crying about the B12 being under represented while Ollie Luck sat there in the room. He's all over the place. The message the Committee is delivering and Art is not listening to is play somebody, anybody. But playing Buffalo, SMU, and Northwestern State are not sufficient. Play the non-P5 schools, just not exclusively. The schedule was set up in the hopes of getting 10 wins. Guess what - you succeeded. Oh, and guess what, the committee also fired a warning shot at your 15 schedule, which consists of SMU, Rice and Lamar.

Reaction Score
bowlsby should have known better, the committee stated that conference champions would benefit, he should have labeled baylor as the conf champ due to the tie-breaker and given the bears a better position, it probably wouldn't have mattered in the end, but at least he would have fought for his league instead is getting steam rolled by the committee.

Reaction Score
bowlsby should have known better, the committee stated that conference champions would benefit, he should have labeled baylor as the conf champ due to the tie-breaker and given the bears a better position, it probably wouldn't have mattered in the end, but at least he would have fought for his league instead is getting steam rolled by the committee.
He blew smoke up their butts telling them they didn't need a ccg. The schools all bought in because they do not want their payouts diluted and were blinded by greed.
The only reason his hand was forced on the co champs is how does one explain if tcu got in the playoffs them not being the conference champ? Their greed and arrogance got exposed and now they have to reconsider.

Reaction Score
I miss the days when Baylor fans were calling for Briles head after losing to us.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but imagine the stink if Ohio Sate was left out.

The B10 would have gone ballistic.
Exactly. I said this a few months ago. They were going to fit the analysis to the result of ensuring B1g, SEC, PAC and then ACC or Big12 for last spot. It's all about the $$. Preference is ACC over Big 12 because of eyeballs and dollars.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is crazy I know... but there were 6 options and they chose the teams with the four best resumes.

Not inviting lesser programs to your conference isn't greed. It's common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom