Sound like the AAC is mad | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sound like the AAC is mad

Reaction Score
Stunning Steve is not UConn fan? Seriously?

I'm stunned.

On the contrary.. I’ve been one of the biggest UConn pimps around... but it tis what it tis

I just had an opinion on this subject. I see NAVY just weighed in.

Attachments

• 75FA849D-D8F0-4668-AA81-AEDCE7A7CA46.png
    75FA849D-D8F0-4668-AA81-AEDCE7A7CA46.png
    257.1 KB · Views: 530
Reaction Score
There is some irony here because ESPN was founded by Bill Rasmussen after he was fired by the Whalers. He was looking to rent satellite time to air UConn games in state. He discovered it cost the same, at the time, for nationwide broadcasts and thus came the idea for a national all sports network. Of course that ESPN was a different animal than the current Disney/ABC version.
I remember watching UConn baseball that very first year . My local cable company was one of the original ones to pick it up before it went national.

pj

Reaction Score
On the contrary.. I’ve been one of the biggest UConn pimps around... but it tis what it tis

I just had an opinion on this subject. I see NAVY just weighed in.

I can guarantee ESPN cares about basketball. They have networks that need year-round content. They just lost a sizable part of the value of the AAC contract.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out. But the combination of the lousy TV deal and UConn's departure has severely weakened the AAC.

Reaction Score
I can guarantee ESPN cares about basketball. They have networks that need year-round content. They just lost a sizable part of the value of the AAC contract.

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out. But the combination of the lousy TV deal and UConn's departure has severely weakened the AAC.

I think early signs are pointing the other way... in terms of UConn football being a much greater asset than you believed it to be.

That being said, it sounds like they’re in no hurry. The exit period gives them and ESPN time to chart a course.

Gladchuk obviously has a key to the Captains cabin.

pj

Reaction Score
I think early signs are pointing the other way... in terms of UConn football being a much greater asset than you believed it to be.

That being said, it sounds like they’re in no hurry. The exit period gives them and ESPN time to chart a course.

I think UConn football is a very good asset. That's why I think the AAC would be silly not to invite UConn to come back as football only.

But it's also why I think we can survive as an independent with a good schedule and good revenue from a SNY deal for football and WBB content.

I agree the AAC can take a month or two. They can collect UConn's $10 million exit fee before negotiating. But ... UConn has to make a football schedule, and they have to do a SNY deal. If the AAC wants UConn to be a football only member like Navy, it needs to extend the offer soon. Otherwise, the only option will be deal like Notre Dame's with the ACC -- a scheduling agreement in which each side owns its home games, and UConn gets access to bowl slots. Then UConn sells its home games to SNY and the AAC to ESPN.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yeah and Gladchuk keeps his assets elsewhere. You look like a fool talking his opinion up.

We are most happy to just be rid of having to associate with the dregs of the American.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That is rich, the one program that is allowed to be football-only and keep a TV deal exclusively themselves is shooting down the idea of UConn doing literally the same thing.

You gotta wonder if they put these statements out and then laugh behind closed doors they are so idiotic.

Reaction Score
I’m guessing ESPN too. They lost our hoops product. They don’t have the school in the state they conduct business. They caused this mess.

All ESPN needs to do is say to The American,
UConn needs to stay put for football & we won’t take a sledge hammer to our recent billion dollar agreement.

Or UConn negotiates an exit fee & annual share payout (football) that trumps a UMass entry.

How does the state of Connecticut, after you ruined the original Big East, convince ESPN to do that? It’s politics. Make it happen.

Then both fan bases can move forward with hope.

You think ESPN cares about our football product, other than at the most as a means to get our basketball product? That's so cute.

Reaction Score
lol the ad from the school that has their own side deal in football.

you can’t make this nonsense up.
This is like a competition between Butch, huskysupporter, freescooter, Husky25, and a couple others. StunningSteve came in today and took a big lead.

Reaction Score
How many came last year?
As I said, the landscape is dynamic. Everyone bets on their horses, and all we can do is see whose resources yield a greater harvest.

7 for American last year, 5 for NBE.

Since 2014, outside of UConn and not including programs that are not in the conference any more, but counting programs that have joined since (so counting Wichita St.'s MVC wins for AAC but not Louisville's):

NBE - 62 credits (13, 14, 13, 11, 6, 5)
AAC - 33 credits (3, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7)

If you want to argue the trend... I'm optimistic about what the Big East will do this year:

Reaction Score
I’m guessing ESPN too. They lost our hoops product. They don’t have the school in the state they conduct business. They caused this mess.

All ESPN needs to do is say to The American,
UConn needs to stay put for football & we won’t take a sledge hammer to our recent billion dollar agreement.

Or UConn negotiates an exit fee & annual share payout (football) that trumps a UMass entry.

How does the state of Connecticut, after you ruined the original Big East, convince ESPN to do that? It’s politics. Make it happen.

Then both fan bases can move forward with hope.

ESPN wanted UConn hoops, not its football.

Reaction Score
7 for American last year, 5 for NBE.

Since 2014, outside of UConn and not including programs that are not in the conference any more, but counting programs that have joined since (so counting Wichita St.'s MVC wins for AAC but not Louisville's):

NBE - 62 credits (13, 14, 13, 11, 6, 5)
AAC - 33 credits (3, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7)

If you want to argue the trend... I'm optimistic about what the Big East will do this year:

Those are eggs for just one basket. And the trends mean nothing in the face of more than tripling conference revenue.
What the AAC did in 14, 15, 16, etc doesn’t take into account investment and growth.
Certain programs are not only having success on the field but are building their brands on the court as well.
There’s a synergy in an all sports league we are seeing in other high resource leagues now as well.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
You think ESPN cares about our football product, other than at the most as a means to get our basketball product? That's so cute.

ESPN only cares about itself. They reside in Connecticut.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is rich, the one program that is allowed to be football-only and keep a TV deal exclusively themselves is shooting down the idea of UConn doing literally the same thing.

You gotta wonder if they put these statements out and then laugh behind closed doors they are so idiotic.

I think they laugh because morans eat them up.

You have to be kidding me with Gladchuk.

God I am happy to be away from these losers.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
So far I’ve read, our football & basketball is worth nothing. Wow.

Reaction Score

So what if they reside in Connecticut? You think Lamont is going to threaten to push they away? You think we're going to push away jobs to try to get our university a better athletics department deal? Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
NBE TV deal is for essentially basketball only, doesn't include T3 rights, is open for re-negotiation 7 years earlier, doesn't make universities pony up for production costs, doesn't put programs behind a paywall, and is still worth 2/3 of the AAC's deal. Lol.

Think about that. How much of the AAC deal is coming from basketball? It has to be significantly less than 4 million since football drives the bus. So UConn just needs to make up $3 mil a year with football + T3 rights, and potentially even less over the back half of the deal when the AAC is still only making $7 million total in the year 2030 and NBE has a new contract.

Plus Big East has way more tourny credits (who knows if we'll see any of the existing creidts, but NBE will definitely earn more going forward as well).

We'll be fine.

I think UConn will be fine, but you are forgetting the football playoff money.

Reaction Score
So far I’ve read, our football & basketball is worth nothing. Wow.

Who is saying our basketball is worth nothing? I love our football program, but if you're even mentioning them in the same sentence you're missing the point. One has value. One we see the long term potential for value if we can get out of our deep hole.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The AAC TV contract renegotiation is going to be interesting. Well soon get to see exactly how much we were worth. Are we going to be worth more to Fox in the big east without football at all than to ESPN in the AAC with football?

Reaction Score
Trust me, you'll be thinking Aresco is pretty gangsta too when the Catholics are slapping the back of your hand with a ruler.

As FriarJ warned you, the Catholics run the show now. Instead of manning the Captains cabin, UConn is first mate.
Unfortunately the kind of abuse the Catholic church is known for now a days is far worse than slapping the back of hands with rulers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom