Sorta OT: ESPN Body Issue | The Boneyard

Sorta OT: ESPN Body Issue

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Also mentions USA National Team, not sure whether that is Basketball or Soccer??

I believe this is all one phrase describing the teams Rapinoe plays for "U.S. women's national team and Seattle Reign forward Megan Rapinoe"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I believe this is all one phrase describing the teams Rapinoe plays for "U.S. women's national team and Seattle Reign forward Megan Rapinoe"
Kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. But then later they say Crystal Dunne from the WNT. ???

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess "objectified" is out of the vocabulary when it's ESPN and naked women? I'm no prude but the total hypocrisy is sorta mind numbing. It's like an alternate universe run by SNL. I find the whole thing pretty darn funny.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Well, it's objectification for both men and women, but more in the sense of "look at how amazing and different all these bodies are," all of whom are at the very top of their athletic field. Their bodies are used as their livelihoods. This is much, much, different than the swimsuit issue of SI, for example. Highly doubt there would be a story in there about Breanna Stewart's sexual abuse, for example. Or Sue Bird's journey toward publicly coming out. The only gratuitous thing you see is butts, anyway. I love this issues and look forward to it every year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
This is my Fav:

puig_001.jpg

SEE THEM ALL Here: The Body Issue 2018

Reaction Score
L-G-B-T-Q All these letters are confusing, but it seems that women avoid the "L" and opt for the "G." Why is that?

1st LGBTQ couple featured on cover of ESPN The Magazine's body issue
I don't find the letters confusing. That said, I think that Megan and Sue use "gay" rather than "lesbian" in this context because no couple representing any of the sexual identities represented by the letters has been featured on the cover of the body issue. "Gay" is more generic than "lesbian". However, I suspect that Megan would have preferred to use "queer", but Sue was afraid it would freak some people out.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
L-G-B-T-Q All these letters are confusing, but it seems that women avoid the "L" and opt for the "G." Why is that?

1st LGBTQ couple featured on cover of ESPN The Magazine's body issue

Most women I know use Lesbian instead of Gay, though older women are much more likely to use Gay as the all-encompassing term. I've been an activist for almost 30 years and I've seen a clear evolution of terms used during that period of time.

Reaction Score
I guess "objectified" is out of the vocabulary when it's ESPN and naked women? I'm no prude but the total hypocrisy is sorta mind numbing. It's like an alternate universe run by SNL. I find the whole thing pretty darn funny.

You're being "objectified" if you are doing this against your will. The stunning athletes that made the choice to pose did so willingly (and were probably paid a pretty penny). That is the difference.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You're being "objectified" if you are doing this against your will.
Women have repeatedly attacked women for feeding the objectification of women by posing suggestively for $. Your distinction is just a difference, do a distiction. Every beauty contest is attacked as objectifying, yadda yadda. Sorry, but your rationale just doesn't fly.

Reaction Score
Women have repeatedly attacked women for feeding the objectification of women by posing suggestively for $. Your distinction is just a difference, do a distiction. Every beauty contest is attacked as objectifying, yadda yadda. Sorry, but your rationale just doesn't fly.
Although I often used the phrase "distinction without a difference" during my 30-year tenure as s a law professor, I knew in my heart of hearts (yes, lawyers have hearts, although many are occluded) that the phrase is empty. Great if you want to be argumentative; not so great if you want to engage in meaningful sorting. With respect to your global claim about what "women" have said, it seems to me that Stewie stands in the sneakers of Sojourner Truth who plaintively asked "Ain't I a woman"? Also, there is a long rich debate among avowed feminists on the subject you are raising. You really should read more widely.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Also, there is a long rich debate among avowed feminists on the subject you are raising. You really should read more widely." I'm well aware of it and I would argue it makes my point. Lots of women don't condone or excuse what they consider exploitation because the woman involved profited from it.

I don't feel strongly about this, and I'm not the one who advanced the notion that being "in control of" and getting paid for your nude display makes it something other than exploitation of human sexual characteristics. The magazine special issue is predicated on the desire of the readers to see athletes in the buff.

"I’ve always enjoyed this issue the most because I admired and looked up to the athletes who were sending the message 'strong is sexy.'" Ric Flair's daughter, Charlotte, poses nude for photo shoot

I do understand :

"I’m on a mission and one of my bucket list goals was to have the opportunity to be in this issue so it’s one part pinch me moment and second part another reason why the women’s evolution is continuing to make an impact on all fronts around the world," she added. "Being able to feel strong, sexy and comfortable in my own skin is empowering and I hope this helps others to feel the same."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well - I can only speak for myself - as a woman and all...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom