Sorta OT - BY Forgive me | The Boneyard

Sorta OT - BY Forgive me

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
My son who works in a NYC law firm was invited through a friend to a U of Kentucky practice. They met Squid who he said was
quite charming and funny, explaining a lot about what they were trying to teach. In answer to my question, my son said he didn’t tell Calipari that UConn fans think he’s a slimy crook. My son is a Wolverine alum.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
My son who works in a NYC law firm was invited through a friend to a U of Kentucky practice. They met Squid who he said was
quite charming and funny, explaining a lot about what they were trying to teach. In answer to my question, my son said he didn’t tell Calipari that UConn fans think he’s a slimy crook. My son is a Wolverine alum.

You should’ve instructed your Son to ask the Squid if he’s familiar with the names Boatright and Shabazz. You have to make Demarcus Cousins your avatar for two weeks.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You should’ve instructed your Son to ask the Squid if he’s familiar with names Boatright and Shabazz. You have to make Demarcus Cousins your avatar for two weeks.
My son confessed only afterward. Them Wall St lawyers are a shifty bunch Plus he can keep my grandchildren away from me which, I have to say, carries more weight than the BY. Where do I find a photo of Cousins?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I had cocktails one night in Vegas with Boneyard villains Calipari and David & Dana Pump who are friends with a childhood neighbor of mine. They were all charming and fun as heck to hangout with. No shame in your son being civil and enjoying his company.:)

Reaction Score
Where do I find a photo of Cousins?
Here ya go.

december-2009-connecticut-huskies-forward-gavin-edwards-shoots-over-picture-id577733988

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He’s very personable.

A lot of these guys are - tough to actually be a bad guy and keep a job that demands you relate well to people. Of the three Boneyard boogie men, (Cal, Boeheim and K), I’ve met all three and they are genuinely nice people.

Of all of the athletic department and coaching types I’ve met, I’ve really only disliked three or four. I really didn’t like Matt Brady when he was at Marist. I didn’t like Diaco, possibly because by the time I met him, I really wanted him to be fired. And I didn’t like Jeff Hathaway.

I asked Hathaway a question and he actually ran away. I don’t remember the question exactly, but it had something to do with how badly the school was handling PR over a few things. He listened and then said he really wanted to answer but he had to go check on something first, And then he ran into a different room and didn’t come out.

Pudge was there - he just laughed and said, yeah, that guy’s not coming back. It was odd.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He’s very personable.

A lot of these guys are - tough to actually be a bad guy and keep a job that demands you relate well to people. Of the three Boneyard boogie men, (Cal, Boeheim and K), I’ve met all three and they are genuinely nice people.

Of all of the athletic department and coaching types I’ve met, I’ve really only disliked three or four. I really didn’t like Matt Brady when he was at Marist. I didn’t like Diaco, possibly because by the time I met him, I really wanted him to be fired. And I didn’t like Jeff Hathaway.

I asked Hathaway a question and he actually ran away. I don’t remember the question exactly, but it had something to do with how badly the school was handling PR over a few things. He listened and then said he really wanted to answer but he had to go check on something first, And then he ran into a different room and didn’t come out.

Pudge was there - he just laughed and said, yeah, that guy’s not coming back. It was odd.
My wife and I travel with a couple (actually in Aruba as I write). The woman has worked in the UConn athletic ticket office for years. She said nobody liked Hathaway. I’m sure Calipari is charming. Whether he, let’s say, cut corners more than most coaches is beyond my knowledge.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Your son should have asked him what he said to John Chaney to set him off.
My son is fairly athletic, and while not he’s not short , he’s not so beefy as Cal and he has a fine looking nose that he’d prefer to keep the way it is. And he was a guest, after all.

Reaction Score
I had the opportunity to meet Rick Pitino. I have a picture with him. I’d share it but I still had a lot of baby weight in the picture - I gained 85 lbs with a child that weighed 5’13” at birth. And people wondered why I only had one? Do you know how hard it is to lose 85 freaking pounds???

That aside, he was amazing to talk to one on one and he told me he was impressed by my basketball knowledge (I was asking he would rather recruit a one and done like a Carmelo or a raw but unproven athlete like Okafor - this was in 2005 or 2006). He said you would take both because you never knew who would pan out and you needed the best players you could get. You would hope you had lighting in a bottle with Anthony and that Okafor would develop just like he did. That didn’t always happen. Then he said, “you really know your hoops”.

Great thing about the pic is that I’m taller than him. And I’m not tall and I’m not wearing more than a 1 inch heel!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He’s very personable.

Huggie Bear is a p#ick I have spoken to dozens of high end coaches throughout my career and the only one I can say is a total jerk is Huggins. And it was not a one time issue I have tried at least 1/2 dozen times during the OBE tournaments.
I was working out in the hotel gym with a BE women's coach who I know through Geno and told him about Huggie and he said that he knows Huggie and not at all surprised Another coach suggested I hand him a drink and you will at least get a smirk

Reaction Score
He’s very personable.

Who’s the 4th?

C

Chief00

He’s very personable.

I know there’s not much sympathy for Coach P here, but one dumb thing Jeff did was immediately sign all of Randy’s assistants to coach the next year. He thought it would ensure continuity and reassure the fan base. But, no good head coach would take a job where he doesn’t get to hire his assistants. Coach P did hire one and it was a train wreck (Coach D), but he should have been given the opportunity to fail all on his own.

C

Chief00

Huggie Bear is a p#ick I have spoken to dozens of high end coaches throughout my career and the only one I can say is a total jerk is Huggins. And it was not a one time issue I have tried at least 1/2 dozen times during the OBE tournaments.
I was working out in the hotel gym with a BE women's coach who I know through Geno and told him about Huggie and he said that he knows Huggie and not at all surprised Another coach suggested I hand him a drink and you will at least get a smirk

LOL - Calhoun liked him - and since Geno’s friend didn’t - that makes sense

Reaction Score
Speaking of Geno, his bestie is Phil Martelli at St. Joe’s. Ex-husband went to St. Joe’s and he’s a Phil fan boy. He and his college friends found out Martelli was a Springsteen fan and the first year the Linc was open, Springsteen did a few shows there. They had this huge tailgate and had a few extra tickets and thought “hey, what if we email Phil and invite him and his wife?”
No joke, they came. So we spent the night hanging out with them. Lovely, lovely people in spite of the fact that all of his friends were standing around like 6th grade boys at their first dance afraid to go talk to girls... so I was the only one talking to them. We bonded over Phil’s friendship with Geno. Totally good guy. His wife is a really nice lady. Can’t believe they came to the concert and tailgate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom