Songs that reference US Historical Events or American Folklore | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Songs that reference US Historical Events or American Folklore

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I often say that I've learned more about history from folk songs than I ever did in school.

This one is about a witch trial in Salem. A poet wrote the words, I think in the 18th century based on Cotton Mather's notes. The singer, Claudine Langille, found it and put it to music.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was torn between Joan Baez's version and this one. I'm not crazy about George Thorogood, but he slays this song, and the version I used to sing is very close to his.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The Ira Hayes ballad reminds me of an incident in Houston around 1972, as I recall. Joe Campos Torres was a Mexican American war hero, who couldn't adapt to civilian life and became a drunk. He was picked up by four of Houston's finest, smacked around a bit, handcuffed and then dropped into Braes Bayou, where he (naturally) drowned, while the cops sat around smoking dope. The local band Uranium Savages wrote a really piercing satire of Hank Williams "Fun on the Bayou". I can't post it because HW's estate got an injunction, but the refrain went; "Goodbye Joe, you gotta go for a swim-o, It'll be tough with the cuffs, me-o-my-o, Hang around, watch you drown and get high-o, Son of a gun, gonna have big fun on the bayou." The cops all got jail sentences, but mild ones.
Just a few minor factual tweaks: It was 1977, and they drowned him in Buffalo Bayou, not Brays. There was also the part where they tried to book Torres into jail after beating him up severely. A police supervisor at the jail turned them away and ordered them to take Torres to the hospital, as he was in clear need of medical attention. Instead of going to the hospital, they took him to "The Hole" at Buffalo Bayou.

Two of the six arresting officers were convicted in state court of "negligent homicide"—a misdemeanor—and were given one year of probation and fined $1 each (yes, one dollar). Later, they and one other officer were convicted in federal court of civil rights violations and served 9 months in prison.

The year after his murder, Gil Scott-Heron wrote and performed a searing tribute to Torres:

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This the first song I thought of, here comes the chorus...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I couldn't resist. This is not a song at all, but the soundtrack to a documentary about Jack Johnson. I think it's my current favorite Miles album; the 54-minute run time is perfect for a five-mile run in my old age.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's one about the moon landing from Dutch prog-metal project Ayreon:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member