Songs from artists who passed away too soon | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Songs from artists who passed away too soon

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
An early pioneer of country rock, was in such bands as the Byrds and the Flying Burrito Brothers as well as doing some solo work (Emmylou Harris did background vocals on a couple of his albums). Packed a lot into his short career, died at 26.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Probably more well known for other artists covering his songs. Wrote some damn fine tunes. Died at 52. Not as young as many on this thread but still too soon.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Chester Bennington was 41 when he died.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Both Bobby Fuller and Sam Cooke owned the copyrights to their own music, both had the same manager, both were murdered at young ages under suspicious circumstances. Sam Cooke remains the most important and copied singer today. Every pop singer you hear since him from Marvin Gaye, to Michael Jackson, to Justin Timberlake, Whitney, Christina, Luther, Ariana and any singer that bends a blue note bends it the way Sam did. Every singer that uses gospel influences in their music does it because Sam was the first. He was also the first African-American artist to own the copyright to his music. If James Brown is the godfather of hip-hop, Sam is the godfather of modern pop singers.
Oh, that's very, very bad. So they are to blame for that crap on the radio today??? :cool:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Oh, that's very, very bad. So they are to blame for that crap on the radio today??? :cool:
Music appreciation is and remains an empirical experience. Fortunately because of human variance your beauty isn't necessarily mine. Nor will it necessarily be yours or mine in the future. We are all to blame for our own collective poor taste. Aren't we all some kind of genus?

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Marvin Gaye's duet partner Tammie Terrell died at 24 of a brain tumor...they sang the famous version of Ashford & Simpson's (RIP Nick Ashford) "Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...

And Marvin Gay was shot by his father at the age of 44.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And Marvin Gay was shot by his father at the age of 44.
Forced his father to shoot him, and then thanked his father for killing him. The man had issues.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Terry Kath, original lead guitarist of Chicago, and lead vocalist on some songs, shot himself at age 31.

Guitar solo at 2:30 of video

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I might've missed it, but I don't think Whitney has been included yet. Died at 48.

Reaction Score
Terry Kath, original lead guitarist of Chicago, and lead vocalist on some songs, shot himself at age 31.

Guitar solo at 2:30 of video

Just to be clear, he shot himself by accident. Didn't know the gun he was playing around with was loaded. Tragic. Great guitar player.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Original Rolling Stone guitarist Brian Jones found dead in his swimming pool at the age of 26 from drug overdose - one month after being booted from the band...

Reaction Score
Pianist/organist Nicky Hopkins, age 50 from Crohn's disease. He played with many notable acts, including the Who, Rolling Stones, the Kinks, Jeff Beck Group, and Quicksilver Messenger Service way back in the early 70's:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom