Songs about love and loss | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Songs about love and loss

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Its getting to be that time of year - Van Morrison and 10:37 minutes of pure bliss and beauty:

Chestnuts roasting outside
As you walk with your love by your side
And the old accordion plays mellow and bright
And you go home in the crispness of the night

Van Morrison is a treasure that keeps giving. His lyrics are impeccable, and his style and timing sublime. "You'll be smiling, eyes beguiling" Who doesn't want to be there? :cool:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone's seen this, but it is a gem, I think.

It is a 50 carat diamond. It helps to have Marc Ribot and T Bone Burnett playing too.

Reaction Score
I liked the Van Morrison Autumn post and with Fall foliage only 2 or 3 weeks away here is another offering on Autumn in New England with perfect accompaniment music from the Red Priest, Antonio Vivaldi.

Reaction Score
Our son went to see her at the Civic Center in Hft. He said she wore a girl scout uniform when she performed. I believe her version of "Blue Bayou" is one of the greats of all time.
Linda Ronstadt for sure. And Roy Orbison close behind with Blue Bayou. Another favorite of mine is done by The Cox Family and Allison Krauss. Suzanne Cox's voice is just beautiful.

Reaction Score
This song was written in 1893, and became the number one song for many years around the turn of the last century. The Irish group Arcady (with Frances Black, of the Black Family) does a very nice job of capturing the sentimental story of lost love. Also, the second part of this is called "The Spinster's Waltz." It's a "free" extra tune and a pleasant one, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's a really old English or Scottish folk song that got transported to Appalachia. Not the version I was looking for, but this isn't bad.

Reaction Score
Here's a really old English or Scottish folk song that got transported to Appalachia. Not the version I was looking for, but this isn't bad.

Jean Richie and her dulcimer songs bring me back to the Folk Song Era, of the 50s and 60s. Talk about ballads. Interestingly, they called this a "child ballad." It reminds me of "The Banks of the Ohio" best sung by Joan Baez.

Reaction Score
As mentioned before ....this is one of the most powerful songs in any musical. Sung by one of the most powerful voices who never reached the fame he should have had...Harve Presnell.

Hoops, there have been so many versions of this, some good, some not so good. I sort of enjoyed the Kingston Trio's version. This one is great. Thank you.

Reaction Score
This song was written in 1893, and became the number one song for many years around the turn of the last century. The Irish group Arcady (with Frances Black, of the Black Family) does a very nice job of capturing the sentimental story of lost love. Also, the second part of this is called "The Spinster's Waltz." It's a "free" extra tune and a pleasant one, too.

She and Kiernan do a great job on "Everybody Loves A Lover."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Jean Richie and her dulcimer songs bring me back to the Folk Song Era, of the 50s and 60s. Talk about ballads. Interestingly, they called this a "child ballad." It reminds me of "The Banks of the Ohio" best sung by Joan Baez.

Not a child ballad, but a Child Ballad. Francis James Child collected songs, initially in England and Scotland, eventually traveling to Scandinavia and the New World. Much of what we know of traditional song comes from Child. There are two other well-known collections, not nearly as extensive as Child, one is maybe Routh(?), the other Cecil Sharpe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom