Song or Artist with a number or ordinal number | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Song or Artist with a number or ordinal number

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Robert Johnson, for sure, and have you heard Barbeque Bob (Hicks) He was a slide guitar bluesman and, yes, a cook from Georgia. Good stuff!

Brilliant. I'd never heard of him.

Reaction Score
Brilliant. I'd never heard of him.
I had to find a Bbq Bob song with a "number" but the rest of is album is really good too. I've played my CD again and again over the years. Check out the others on YouTube. Here's another seldom heard 20's guitarist Blind Willie Johnson...yes another Johnson. The video here from 1927 is terrific too. (Sorry, but 1927 is a number, please excuse my OT violation)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This group was the bomb in my high school days and trigged a spate of copycat "girl bands".

You know you're for real when you go live at the Apollo and it's well received. Great lead vocal by Gioia Bruno.

Plebe

Reaction Score
On the theme of all-female groups ...

This takes me back to those sophomore year dances that were an odd mix of fun and awkward.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Great! Something for my outdoor Halloween display. How did you find this? And not know Barbeque Bob?
I've owned the album, since it came out in 1978. I think I own everything Eno did before the mid-80's. It's no accident that he's a Knight of the Realm since he (paraphrasing Miles Davis describing himself) changed the course of music two or three times.

I did ask my brother, a blues afficianado (I'm a prog rock/folk guy/Eurometal guy) about Barbecue Bob, and he's heard of him but hadn't heard anything by him. He enjoyed the song you linked and was gonna look up more stuff by him.

Reaction Score
I've owned the album, since it came out in 1978. I think I own everything Eno did before the mid-80's. It's no accident that he's a Knight of the Realm since he (paraphrasing Miles Davis describing himself) changed the course of music two or three times.

I did ask my brother, a blues afficianado (I'm a prog rock/folk guy/Eurometal guy) about Barbecue Bob, and he's heard of him but hadn't heard anything by him. He enjoyed the song you linked and was gonna look up more stuff by him.
I checked my cd racks for a Brian Eno cd I remember having, without luck, but I did find my Deuter and Jean-Michel Jarre cds among the Windham Hill group. 40 years ago! Yikes. This was one of my first and favorites...

Plebe

Reaction Score
From the legendary Egyptian chanteuse Umm Kulthum.

Song title translates as "A Thousand and One Nights".

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Without looking back thru the thread, there have probably been a few classical pieces. Almost limitless options with ordinal numbers (Beethoven's 5th, etc.). Here's something, not the full piece, just the finale. Kaboom!

Reaction Score
From the legendary Egyptian chanteuse Umm Kulthum.

Song title translates as "A Thousand and One Nights".

To be honest, I have some difficulty in appreciating Near Eastern music. Perhaps Amr Diab, and Anoushka from Egypt or Turkey's Suzen Aksu are easier to listen to, but others are unfamiliar to me. Maybe I should explore more artists, to be fair. One singer from Israel does have a voice I like, Chava Alberstein, is pretty well known in Europe. This song is very moving, if you listen to the translation, or speak Yiddish. It's worth a listen. She introduces it in English. (Sorry for OT misstep)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's Frank Zappa's and Captain Beefheart's tribute to the US bicentennial:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member