OT: - Sommelier | The Boneyard

OT: Sommelier

Reaction Score
Just a little fun OT that had me cracking up tonight:

I have always struggled to pronounce the word "Sommelier" but decided that I would master it tonight (with the help of a little wine, of course). After searching for the pronunciation guide on google, sommelier was decoded as "suh-muhl-yay".

Now, I had a pretty good idea of what it should sound like, but after seeing the decode all I could focus on was one thing: MUHL. And once seen, I couldn't UNSEE it. And pronouncing it as Nika's last name is not helpful AT. ALL. I was literally lmao on the floor by the 35th attempt. So yeah. That's my story. :D I figured the only people in the world who might understand is The Boneyard Family :rolleyes:

"In a world were you can be anything...be KIND"

IMG_0684.jpeg

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As you were struggling with the pronunciation of sommelier while also contemplating the pronunciation of MUHL, I hope you were enjoying a bottle of Plavic Mali, a Croatian red wine cultivated along the Dalmatian Coast.

And yes, the Dalmatian is a breed that originated in Croatia as a hunting dog.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you were having trouble remembering how to pronounce it, pretend you are a Canadian who is cheering for Bent and just…

“say Molly, eh.”

I’ll see myself out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My issue with "Sommelier" is with spelling the darn word. ;)

EDITED

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once went to a way too expensive restaurant where the the Sommelier came to our table, opened our bottle of wine and tasted it for us. I said to my wife, I’m glad he liked it. How does he know that we will? I’m still not over it. If it wasn’t for the two martinis I had before the wine came, I’m not sure what I would have done.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
When we were in college I had a friend who served as our unofficial sommelier. Once on a road trip , he recommended that we mix Boone's Farm Wild Mountain Grape with a six pack of Iron City and a pint of Seagram's Seven. I do not remember the rest of the trip, but we had fun once we got to our destination. At least I think we did.

Reaction Score
See if you can find "Uncorked". A series from 2015 ish about a group of people trying to become master sommeliers. Fascinating about what they have to know and how on earth they do it. Down to a test where they taste several wines and have to describe them, including things like "it's a chardonnay from the alsace region of France, grown on the north side of Mt. Whatever vineyard"and have to get all of it right. Crazy stuff!

Reaction Score
Once went to a way too expensive restaurant where the the Sommelier came to our table, opened our bottle of wine and tasted it for us. I said to my wife, I’m glad he liked it. How does he know that we will? I’m still not over it. If it wasn’t for the two martinis I had before the wine came, I’m not sure what I would have done.
It was probably done, not for taste, but to see if the wine had gone bad or sour. Then he would have gotten you another bottle. It was also done for show I'm sure.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Interesting, I get wine cellar ads when I'm on this thread. :rolleyes:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It was probably done, not for taste, but to see if the wine had gone bad or sour. Then he would have gotten you another bottle. It was also done for show I'm sure.
I think it was entirely done for show. The cork will indicate whether it's corked, soured, or gone bad/infected. The cork wouldn't tell you if it was insufficiently aged, but it should really be up to the customer rather than the sommelier to decide if the wine is sufficiently aged or good enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was all show. Even I, who once strongly considered opening up a bottle of Aqua Velva after running out of booze, could tell if I was served a bad bottle of wine.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think it was entirely done for show. The cork will indicate whether it's corked, soured, or gone bad/infected. The cork wouldn't tell you if it was insufficiently aged, but it should really be up to the customer rather than the sommelier to decide if the wine is sufficiently aged or good enough.
I think most people are entirely clueless what they are looking for when handed a cork including most waitstaff.

Reaction Score
I think most people are entirely clueless what they are looking for when handed a cork including most waitstaff.
I know what to do with them if I was given one, I have another one of these to fill. :rolleyes:

1628119462215.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom