something we need to pimp | The Boneyard

something we need to pimp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
its not the bball programs or the nh/hart/nyc tv mk. its our stadium.
we can put 40k in it on a given staurday. not a problem. do we have some 32k games? sure but who doesn't dip a bit when they are playing a fcs team or a nobody. were only 15 years old for christ sake and loom what were doing fan base wise, gives us another 10 and take a look then. us vs bc/cuse/pitt/ruty/umass every year is a sell out no matter the conf. our stadium was built with expansion made easy. we need to pimp that our stadium can be expanded to 55k by the time we start play in a conf(even if thats not true). we need to show we can be a big boy. maybe we don't sell out that many games the first 5 years, but eventually as the fan base continues to grow, bigger names come to town ooc etc, 55k will happen on a solid base schedule every year. think about it this way. how much have we invested into fball and big time sports in general the past 20 years? lets say 500mil for a #.
if the acc said we either going to take team x or you as our 16th. we like you more but your stadium among other things is small. is this the most major thing. no, but it is a bullet point on the list. whats another 70mil to expand the stadium when the total would then be 570mil for sports and were in a bcs conf and the future is looking so good. or we can not spend the 70 mil and in turn the 500mil was a bad investment. the state lost $ wise big time. any uconn fan would say "hell, expand the place right now" lol. but why wait? i'm not saying that we need to go break ground as soon as the last game at the rent ends this fall. but lets make some noise. maybe it might even be considered fake noise. but if were willing as a university to answer every freaking answer from the press with an ending something like "we will be in a bcs conf in the end", lets start acting like it. were putting ourselves our there so lets go for it, not half ass it. 2moro UCONN SHOULD ANNOUNCE THAT WE ARE GOING TO EXPAND THE RENT and that the project will be a 2 part with the BBALL FACILITY being done first. its your choice ct, throw 100mil into the pot for bball facility/rent expansion and be good for the next 20 year, or lose 500mil and never smell the $$ again. say that the bball facility will be done by 2014 and that the stadium expansion will have more info coming ro something. just show the fact that the bball facility will get done asap and that we are "thinking/envisioning" the rent being 55k. it will only help us.

basically i want us to at least fake that were going to expand the rent. by fake i mean show that were serious about it, put some caution tape around a concrete pillar if we have to. just show that we want to be big time in fball and were committed to it $$ wise. are we one day going to expand? yes, i think so. is that day within the next 5 years? no, its probably not. but showing that it will eventually happen shows others that it will happen and that were a player in the game.

option1- lose 400 of 500mil the state put out and just play small schools in bball and all other sports suffer. school rakings are good but don't improve without the building of a fan base/national appeal from fball/big time sports.

option 2- spend up to 100 mil more added to the 500mil already spent and be set for the future in all sports, academics continue to improve/national appeal...all sports are great and in a safe place. $$ is flowing but the state sees a ROI unlike option 1.

Reaction Score
I have said long ago we should expand the stadium even if we don't have enough fanbase right now. 40K is just too small for big time. We need to go to 55K minimal and get more students into the stadium. A big stadium shows you are serious about growing the football well into the future. I honestly think I can see the day when UCONN will get 70K attending the Rent. Maybe many years down the road but it is possible. PSU did not have a huge stadium many years ago. If RU can get to 52k, we can get to 55K.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wake-31k
duke-34k
bc-45k
cuse-50
ruty-52k
md-54k
gt-55k
UCONN-55k
ncst-58k
uva-62k
unc-63k
pitt-65k
vt-66k
miami-77k
clem-82k
fsu-82k

that puts us right in the middle of the acc stadium wise, so no one can have beef. also take another look at it. were bigger than ruty(who just expanded,out of $ now), bc, 1/2 of tb road and very close to the other half, cuse(no expanding the dome), md. recruits can't look at the stadium any more and say no thanks, ooc big boys dont have a excuse either for the most part.

Reaction Score
Anyone who wants to offer us subject to our expanding our stadium can do that. I don't know how rushing to do it helps us unless we are actually filling the seats.

Reaction Score
As a Connecticut taxpayer I can thing of a hundred more pressing needs for the state than expanding a stadium that is rarely full.

Reaction Score
I believe stadium expandability is already part of our talking points. I've heard Herbst mention it on two or three occasions. After we have a 'dream' season like Rutgers did in 2006, we'll be in a position to expand. Right now there isn't enough fan interest or political will to get it done.

Reaction Score
As a Connecticut taxpayer I can thing of a hundred more pressing needs for the state than expanding a stadium that is rarely full.

fly-swatter1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32