Something I want to see DH do | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Something I want to see DH do

Reaction Score
Because it's not his role, nor is he expected to. But if you make it his role for a game and put expectations on his results, he might surprise everyone.

I would've liked this early year and probably agreed at that point. But the more I watch him the less I want him to even attempt to go the hole. He doesn't make a lot of good decisions, we know he's not going to make more than 30% of his attempts because he can't shoot and his "floater" is a throw. Right now I hate to say it because he should be our glue, he's just not a very good basketball player at this point. He's got beat off the dribble repeatedly last night just as much as anyone. He does rebound but for the last few games, that's pretty much it. Last night he had a put back and ran a great 3 on 2 break in which he delivered a money pass to Karaban. Other than that?? I mean he's been stupid in fouling people unnecessarily and in the half court no one is guarding him. Even when he makes a 3 they don't care they are better off taking Hawk and others out of their offensive games but sloughing off AJ.

Not sure how they fix this but for now it's not pretty.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
In not sure about AJ but I hope that DH having to watch on TV today forced him to rethink some player dynamics.
That is a very interesting take. I like it

Reaction Score
He tried to take it to the hoop twice early in the second half resulting in a TO and a missed floater. His misses were part of SH comeback for sure
If AJax drives to the hoop more frequently, he'll also get points, assists and fouls drawn. He has the potential to be better and the coach has to find a way to make the player reach his potential.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The only thing I want DH to do is to decide that being a basketball coach is more complicated than recruiting and throw the kids into the fray hoping that their athleticism and skills bring him victories. I say this because it becomes more obvious with every game this is what he does. No switching lineups, no apparent plays run to free shooters or creating a mid range game, very little game management. There's a lot of guys out there that would love to coach, coach UConn in particular and would cost less than nearly $3Mill per year.
Get a damn mentor (not your father) and swallow that Manhattan sized ego - if not for yourself DH , for the players and the fans.
He has it in him but something is standing in the way - he's been around basketball too long to not have realized at this point that he has to get his hands dirty in all aspects of the job.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The idea this team should beat anyone by 20 points at this point is ludicrous.
Did I miss something? I don't think anyone referenced beating anyone by 20, unless it's someone I've blocked.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Maybe no matter what they try they are still what they were predicted to be pre season and maybe a bit worse with the regression of Newton. I think looking for answers at this point is not a productive use of time. The only answer is to reset expectations. We should just be happy with any win moving forward as there are sure to be more losses than wins left on the schedule. Remember that CB for the Giants that picked up the nickname”toast” well that should be this teams new nickname.

Reaction Score
The dilemma of an imperfect player.

I think we all recognize why he’s getting 30 minutes a game.

We’d be toast without his defense. That steal in the passing lane tonight was next level awesome. Almost as awesome as the missed layup that ensued.
Ajax did help numerous times with doubling up on defense, and that helped Sanogo or Karaban contain their player. He would sometimes help for few seconds and then run back to his own person.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Did I miss something? I don't think anyone referenced beating anyone by 20, unless it's someone I've blocked.

What other point differential would be sufficient to let Andre Jackson play horse during a conference game?

Reaction Score
Sit players immediately who go for the shot fake and jump into air to block the shot only to foul the opponent.
Sit players immediately who receive pass while out of bounds.
Somehow the players have to learn and take responsibility for basic things
There are probably some other circumstances that require players to ride the pine awhile, but they can start with these.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What other point differential would be sufficient to let Andre Jackson play horse during a conference game?
He's not starting from a base of zero. So if you wish to be this obtuse, the correct answer to your silly question is 13.8. Or specifically for BE games, 13.33.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He's not starting from a base of zero. So if you wish to be this obtuse, the correct answer to your silly question is 13.8. Or specifically for BE games, 13.33.

You've just watch the team lose 5 of their 6 games and are of the belief that we should 1) not only be able to be up such a significant amount against a Georgetown team who gave us everything we could handle at Gampel, but 2) once we're up by a "safe" amount - which we just saw last night the team blow a 17 point lead - that we should force feed one of our worst scoring options to get him 20 points... just because?

And I'm obtuse?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mean, as a "throw something at a wall" idea, ok. What do we have to lose? But I'd rather he not think about scoring at all. I'd prefer he just tried to be the best version of Dennis Rodman he can be.

This team is already confused. Nobody seems to know what their role is.

Reaction Score
You realize he had 10 rebounds and 4 assists right? Stop acting like his overall game isn’t valuable.
I realize that.

I guess the more realistic upside I see is Newton returning to a serviceable point guard than AJ improving on his deficiency in season.

AJ can be very effective 15-20 minutes a game. Especially with pick and a rim running Donavan. That would allow him to be aggressive on defense and boards and not worry about fouls.

He plays with meaningless aggression. I wish he could just focus his aggression and play with restraint.

Reaction Score
I realize that.

I guess the more realistic upside I see is Newton returning to a serviceable point guard than AJ improving on his deficiency in season.

AJ can be very effective 15-20 minutes a game. Especially with pick and a rim running Donavan. That would allow him to be aggressive on defense and boards and not worry about fouls.

He plays with meaningless aggression. I wish he could just focus his aggression and play with restraint.
I don’t think you’re going to see that, just as I don’t think we’ll see the more obvious move to play Sanogo 20 minutes or less. Why would you want to cut the team leader in assists who averages 4.6 APG’s minutes in half?

Reaction Score
February 4 @ G'Town - a team UConn should beat with one good half. Give AJax a goal of 20 points, at least half must be in the paint. Run plays specifically for him. Make sure he knows it's for purposes of screwing up every BE coach's plans on how to play him, thus good for the team. AJax is a team guy. He's got the ability to do it. Make him have the willingness.
So the goal is another loss?

Reaction Score
I don’t think you’re going to see that, just as I don’t think we’ll see the more obvious move to play Sanogo 20 minutes or less. Why would you want to cut the team leader in assists who averages 4.6 APG’s minutes in half?
In terms of a scout it’s way to easier to defend jackson on the court. You know he is not going to shoot.

At least Newton when playing well is much harder to defend.

I know I’m just focusing on the offense, but defensively I feel the same. If Jackson is on you, hesi and back cut all day long, pump fake and drive, and go up strong because he will foul you way more than he will block you.

I think Jackson’s best attributes are actually paired with Donovan. He does a better job with the pick and roll/run run. And defensively Donovan can help his over aggressiveness.

Jackson does not space the floor well with Sanogo.

I like jackson, Joey C, Donovan rotation.

And Newton, Hawk, Sanogo.

Karaban and another guard can mix with either set up.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Because it's not his role, nor is he expected to. But if you make it his role for a game and put expectations on his results, he might surprise everyone.
I said something similar about insisting that Newton drive to the basket to shoot and either score or draw a shooting foul 5 times every game.

Yesterday he got called for the offensive foul that many fely was a robbed 3-point play. He kicked out to Karaban who unfortunately missed a well-chosen shot that could have been the game-sealer, and he went 6-6 from the line after being 0-3 in the losses to Xavier, Providence, Marquette, and St John's.

Insist that Adama shoot his first 5 shots either moving toward the basket or shooting down at the rim.

It seems like there's some kind of 'game' that could be set up with each player who keeps doing something that is known not to work well instead of something that's known to have worked well but is avoided.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd rather do this for Newton, who has at least proved on another team that he once was a prolific scorer.
Fair point, I think we'd all like to see more of him taking it to the hoop.

Only thing is it doesn't do anything to make opposing coaches worry about Jax, so they'll still play off him. My wish is that Jax show enough offense where he has to be guarded regularly.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Fair point, I think we'd all like to see more of him taking it to the hoop.

Only thing is it doesn't do anything to make opposing coaches worry about Jax, so they'll still play off him. My wish is that Jax show enough offense where he has to be guarded regularly.
Jackson needs to be a better cutter to the rim. That’s where his game has to be at this point.

Teams pay no attention to him playing off ball. On the rewatch there was a few times SH players were not looking at him off ball. He has to see that and cut to the rim instead of standing at the three point line waiting for to maybe launch another 3.

It’s what Seton Hall did all game. 2 or 3 guys would constantly cut to the rim whenever they had a chance. Especially on doubles and it put pressure on us. They didn’t just wait at the 3 point line to throw up at 3.

Reaction Score
Peak Boneyard: let's try to break out of our streak by drawing up more scoring opportunities for our worst scorer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom