Something about Recuits | The Boneyard

Something about Recuits

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Its not how good you are, its about how good you want to become. Its not about me its about us. T.E.A.M = Together Everyone Acheives More. There is no "I" in Team. Attitude is Everything. These are just a few acrohyms Ive used over the past 24 years on this board and it just doesnt seem to change. Those who want to be here and who Geno wants will come and if they dont "Next". We cant be worried about who didnt come, we should be more concerned about who is coming and are they willing to commit to the team. At UConn its a team game. Success at UConn is spelled G.E.N.O. You trust him, you believe in what he says and do what he tells you and you have a chance to do something special with your life.

Why do so many coaches want to come to UConn and see Geno run practices? They want to get inside his head. He is a movtivator, and builder of women and a builder of teams. He breaks you down and builds you up. He makes you better then you ever thought you could be. You must make a commitment to come to UConn and a commitment to do what ever it takes especially if you dont want to do it if you want to get better and be the best you can be. There are two types of teams in the world...those who think they can and those who thing they cant...and theyre both right.

I remember when my daughters were much younger and we were at UConn as my oldest was looking at colleges. My youngest daughter saw Shea Ralph who invited us into a practice. Diana shooting shots from one spot with a huge basket underneath the rim shooting the balls back to her. I lost count after 50 shots and she was there still shooting. The magic is practicing the right thing until it becomes reflexive and that goes for what ever you do in life.

Recruiting is all about keeping the team chemistry in synch. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. So when we dont get every top recruit thats fine. We get enough that are committed and are willing to do what ever it takes to make the team better. Looking at this years roster we have enough top 10 players to be a top 3 team. Not one team in WCBB has a superstar so they all have to play as one unit and depend on each other. The minute one of those teams face another top team and they have to depend on one player they most likely wont win. Winning is an attitude unfortunately so is loosing.........

Reaction Score
Its not how good you are, its about how good you want to become. Its not about me its about us. T.E.A.M = Together Everyone Acheives More. There is no "I" in Team. Attitude is Everything. These are just a few acrohyms Ive used over the past 24 years on this board and it just doesnt seem to change. Those who want to be here and who Geno wants will come and if they dont "Next". We cant be worried about who didnt come, we should be more concerned about who is coming and are they willing to commit to the team. At UConn its a team game. Success at UConn is spelled G.E.N.O. You trust him, you believe in what he says and do what he tells you and you have a chance to do something special with your life.

Why do so many coaches want to come to UConn and see Geno run practices? They want to get inside his head. He is a movtivator, and builder of women and a builder of teams. He breaks you down and builds you up. He makes you better then you ever thought you could be. You must make a commitment to come to UConn and a commitment to do what ever it takes especially if you dont want to do it if you want to get better and be the best you can be. There are two types of teams in the world...those who think they can and those who thing they cant...and theyre both right.

I remember when my daughters were much younger and we were at UConn as my oldest was looking at colleges. My youngest daughter saw Shea Ralph who invited us into a practice. Diana shooting shots from one spot with a huge basket underneath the rim shooting the balls back to her. I lost count after 50 shots and she was there still shooting. The magic is practicing the right thing until it becomes reflexive and that goes for what ever you do in life.

Recruiting is all about keeping the team chemistry in synch. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. So when we dont get every top recruit thats fine. We get enough that are committed and are willing to do what ever it takes to make the team better. Looking at this years roster we have enough top 10 players to be a top 3 team. Not one team in WCBB has a superstar so they all have to play as one unit and depend on each other. The minute one of those teams face another top team and they have to depend on one player they most likely wont win. Winning is an attitude unfortunately so is loosing....
@Tonyc Lots of stuff here. 2 things stand out---1) Attitude. As one who taught at the college level--attitude--made the difference between success and failure, it's not just for Basketball. 2) Old fashioned Rote still works as DT proved by repetitively shooting the same shot, however weak muscle memory doesn't work so well. Then too a dedicated teacher HS or College can turn a poor attitude student into a dedicated learner.
While some loser in Education or Basketball speak a good game of not caring more often than not all want to succeed but don't know how it all begins with the leader, instructor, professor, teacher. Unfortunately, some just cant be reached.

Reaction Score
Enjoyed this very much, Tony! You expressed what many feel about Geno and his program.
I would add that Sabrina Ionescu is superstar material, as is, I believe, Christyn Williams.

Reaction Score

Recruiting is all about keeping the team chemistry in synch. One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. So when we dont get every top recruit thats fine. We get enough that are committed and are willing to do what ever it takes to make the team better. Looking at this years roster we have enough top 10 players to be a top 3 team. Not one team in WCBB has a superstar so they all have to play as one unit and depend on each other. The minute one of those teams face another top team and they have to depend on one player they most likely wont win. Winning is an attitude unfortunately so is loosing....

Tonyc- - -PRACTICE DOESN'T MAKE PERFECT.......
PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Well said Tonyc.... UConn is a special place where special people come to play and achieve very special things. These next 4-5 years are going to be very exciting, not that the last 25 haven't been. But, really...look at this years roster and the projected roster for the next 4 years...incredibly deep and talented. It Azzi Fudd is added to this group of talented girls, UConn might just get voted out of WCBB by the other coaches...I mean...it borders on unfair. The amazing thing is these girls are not only talented but they are also good, wholesome kids. How blessed we have been to have lived through and shared the Geno / Daily era of UConn Women's Basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom