Something about our last play ain't right | The Boneyard

Something about our last play ain't right

Reaction Score
Please try and explain our final play. I see no cutters, no open players, everyone standing around the perimeter watching, and Hurley not directing players right in front of him. Was this an actual drawn up play?

What was supposed to happen even with perfect execution?

Last edited:

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Watch Tyrese before the turnover.

Reaction Score
Martin was supposed to go to the hole and either get a shot up or, if double teamed, find the open man. He held the ball way, way too long on the wing and didn’t see the double team come. If you’re going to hold the ball that long before making your move, he needs to get to the middle of the court first so he has a better chance of seeing the double team coming.

Reaction Score
Dribble hand hand off to Polley. Rotate ball to the side line to Tyrese for an entry pass into Sanogo at about 10 seconds.

Tyrese couldn’t get the ball to Sanogo and the play broke down. At that point a play needs to be made with 6 seconds left, and Tyrese is going to take his man off the dribble. Sanogo comes out, tyrese waived him off, but he comes anyway and brings a second defender / double team to Martin against the sideline. low basketball IQ basketball play by Sanogo who usually doesn’t make those types of mistakes.

You don’t want people cutting on an entry pass to Sanogo because it clogs up the lane. It was a clear out. When the play broke down Sanogo should have cleared out the lane and let Martin go ISO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m guessing the play is get the ball to sanogo right? Isn’t that the play you would call?

Reaction Score
Last play didn’t go well but it’s a pressure situation which makes it worse and we see it in games all the time and usually the team that’s behind doesn’t make it. Why? Because the % to score on each possession is lower than 50%.

Reaction Score
Play was to go to Sanogo, he didn’t have good position, came up to create a pick which resulted in double team trap TO.

Terrible execution but been trademark of this team for a few years. Down 1, I’d rather be aggressive, and take it to the rim without draining the clock. Open the possibility of made shot, rebound or foul. With no one on the court who can create, why try the same failed approach over and over?

Reaction Score
Dribble hand hand off to Polley. was to ball to the side line to Tyrese for an entry pass into Sanogo at about 10 seconds.

Tyrese couldn’t get the ball to Sanogo and the play broke down. At that point a play needs to be made with 6 seconds left, and Tyrese is going to take his man off the dribble. Sanogo comes out, tyrese waived him off, but he comes anyway and brings a second defender / double team to Martin against the sideline. low basketball IQ basketball play by Sanogo who usually doesn’t make those types of mistakes.

You don’t want people cutting on an entry pass to Sanogo because it clogs up the lane. It was a clear out. When the play broke down Sanogo should have cleared out the lane and let Martin go ISO.
Exactly, not Hurleys fault. We have good players and a good team, but the top players with high bbiq’s make plays in those moments. We will make noise, but we are still a level off with some pieces on the bench. Just where we are.

Reaction Score
We may have been better off if Sanogo had held the screen instead of slipping it. At least then there may have been a 1 on 1 mismatch.

Of course, if Sanogo had just cleared out, I would be OK with Martin going 1 on 1 given the circumstances. There wasn't really a lane for Martin to make a clean pass after the slip.

There were about a dozen things that went wrong on that play.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
For my money, it wasn't nearly as bad as our last play of regulation. Cole pounding the ball near mid court to take the clock down, then driving into a crowd of set defenders. If you're going to take the clock down, everybody has to be moving in a pattern designed to clear the lane at go time.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
That's our offense sans Cole. We would SUCK without him

Reaction Score
It's just that I see Polley and Gaff standing in the same spot.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Play was to go to Sanogo, he didn’t have good position, came up to create a pick which resulted in double team trap TO.

Terrible execution but been trademark of this team for a few years. Down 1, I’d rather be aggressive, and take it to the rim without draining the clock. Open the possibility of made shot, rebound or foul. With no one on the court who can create, why try the same failed approach over and over?
Right before this Willard was coaching his team on denying Sanogo. It seems coaching adjustments do work.

Reaction Score
Dribble hand hand off to Polley. Rotate ball to the side line to Tyrese for an entry pass into Sanogo at about 10 seconds.

Agree with this.

But why don’t you at least run a off ball base line screen for Sanogo by Jackson to help him get to the low block in better position for the entry pass?

Reaction Score
For my money, it wasn't nearly as bad as our last play of regulation. Cole pounding the ball near mid court to take the clock down, then driving into a crowd of set defenders. If you're going to take the clock down, everybody has to be moving in a pattern designed to clear the lane at go time.
Also agree here, for me, this was the play that looked like everyone was confused. Cole took the worst possible shot here after wasting a lot of time, I blame him for this play. Also with may be a little more time than we’d want to leave Seton Hall but I believe on this play Polley came up to him at the top wise open and he ignored him, for me I was screaming there’s our shot and just as quickly Polley was covered. Just poor decisions, this team should take the first shot it has because running down the clock doesn’t work with the level of talent we have. Hopefully it’s all part of the process.

Reaction Score
It's just that I see Polley and Gaff standing in the same spot.
And Jackson marooned in far corner. No one cutting, maybe hoping someone swoops in for rebound?

Reaction Score
The play was clearly to dump down to Sanogo. I'm not sure what he was doing with his original post set up. If you watch him he had a chance to post at the mid block but he chooses to adjust and back post Obiagu. At first I thought it looked like Williard told Obiagu to Front Sanogo but it didn't even look like he choose to it was how Sanogo initially posted. If Sanogo did back post and seal, AJ should've flashed to the high post and gone high low dump down like we executed perfectly in the first half. This is where Hurley needs to give his players a few options on the last play depending on how they align their defense. Frustrating watching this.

Reaction Score

Because our coach believes in a game plan driven by insanity: keep trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Last play didn’t go well but it’s a pressure situation which makes it worse and we see it in games all the time and usually the team that’s behind doesn’t make it. Why? Because the % to score on each possession is lower than 50%.

It was a pressure situation? they had to try to make a basic play with 15+ seconds of dead time. This wasn't Burrell to Tate length of the court in :01.

Reaction Score

That’s what you want cutters to do - create congestion and someone open comes out if it. I know in WBB sometimes we have the perfect open cutter out of nothing but in higher D1 MBB - you either do a very sharpe reverse cut or you cut through congestion and the defenders and screeners get in each other’s way.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Exactly, not Hurleys fault. We have good players and a good team, but the top players with high BBQ’s make plays in those moments. We will make noise, but we are still a level off with some pieces on the bench. Just where we are.

This is all coaching. End of game scenarios should be drilled in to the players' heads and be second nature. No different than a football team executing last second plays near the goal line.

There should be 2-3 plays they can run. Tie game, down by 1, down by 2, down by 3. Since Cole is the only PG Hurley trusts they need to run them with Cole and without Cole.

The lack of movement away from the ball keeps all five defenders engaged and able to help.

Hurley said in the paper he's sick of losing. Well, when he gets sick and tired of being tired and makes changes in his coaching leading up to end of game scenarios, then he'll see better chances at change and winning.

I don't expect every last second play to work or every shot to go in, but they do need to come up with better plays.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I mean if Tyrese sees it we had Aiken on Sanogo. This play wasn’t poorly drawn up. We had exactly what we wanted

Reaction Score
. At that point a play needs to be made with 6 seconds left, and Tyrese is going to take his man off the dribble. Sanogo comes out, tyrese waived him off, but he comes anyway and brings a second defender / double team to Martin against the sideline. low basketball IQ basketball play by Sanogo who usually doesn’t make those types of mistakes.
Thanks for posting this play in a manner to dissect it.

It might be an ambiguous motion, but watching it several times, I thought he was motioning to Adama where to come out and set the pick for him and had nothing to do with a bad BBIQ play by Adama. In any event, if this is what was drawn up, it was drawn up for Bouknight. How often during game play do we purposely put the ball in Martin's hands with time running out on the clock, and tell him to go make a hero play. How often is Martin throwing entry passes to Sanogo in scoring position? These haven't been his roles or demonstrated strengths. Martin's role at the end of shot clocks has been to receive the ball and put it up.

I'm with @Kitaman being underwhelmed by design. We put Jackson, Polley, and Gaffney out of any ability to contribute to the play, and, put Martin in this unusual role.

Polley: If Polley is on the court he has to be a primary option for a spot up 3, or primary diversion. Polley at the top of the 3 point line moved 3-4 ft in the whole possession and could have been guarded by a player who never needed to move at all. No picks, no movement, nothing. He isn't a threat to take the ball into the paint from that position. If there is not going to be any action to free him, he really needs to be in a spot up 3 position on either wing or corner. As a diversion at least 1 defender is completely out of the play.

Jackson: We saw the Jackson 3 pt airball, I assume Jackson's job outside the 3 point line was just to get a running start to crash the boards for a tip in or a lob. The problem is that when Sanogo is fronted, Jackson's man sloughed off and prevented a lob to Sanogo. If Polley or Martin were at that wing position or deeper in the corner, it might have kept the defender more attached, and helped an entry pass possibility.

Absent a set with a lot of movement and options, it seems to me that Jackson or Gaffney had to be called on to make a play with the ball from the top. Penetrate and dish to Sanogo inside, or, to Martin or Polley on the wings, or, take it to the rack themselves. Jackson is predisposed to pass and handle the ball, he has a knack for penetrating and finding shooters at the end of shot clocks, and that includes to Martin in the corner in this game.

Time is also a factor down 1 point. I favor the shot at about 4 seconds. We can rebound a miss, or foul and have a bit more time to get a 3 point shot off if the opponent makes their foul shots.

Gaffney gives to Polley who gives to Martin with nobody rotating to the corner Martin left. 2 players 3 feet from each other at the top of the key, no cutters, no screens, particular players not in their best positions, nor playing to their strengths, and no plan B when the pass to Sanogo was defended. Nice set.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom