Someone who played D-1 please explain.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Someone who played D-1 please explain....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Edsell took Drew Wilson with him to MD but Jerry Martin who run the program is still there and backfilled a few football positions.
That concerns me because we were putting out athletes that were. Built like Greek gods hopefully these guys can keep it up

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Smart answer aside.....my guess would be that weight training is not a big part of the in season training regimen. Most of the guys are in "football shape" which is different than being cut up like a Greek God.

But that's just my best uneducated guess.

It is this. There isn't a focus of heavy lifting and strength gain during the season. Most guys who've made it to the end of the season are nursing injuries and just trying to make it to the finish line. A college football season is a very grueling thing.

Reaction Score
That concerns me because we were putting out athletes that were. Built like Greek gods hopefully these guys can keep it up

Here's the bio:

Todd Devers, who has been a member of the Dallas Cowboys strength and conditioning staff since 2007, has been named an Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach at the University of Connecticut with primary responsibilities of working with the football team.With the Cowboys, Devers implemented in-season and off-season conditioning programs, designed programs for rookie players and worked with the rehabilitation process.

He served as the strength and conditioning coach for the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League from 2005-09 and worked at private training and rehabilitation centers from 1999-2007.Devers was the assistant strength and conditioning coach of the Colorado Xplosion of the American Basketball League in 1997-98.He is a 1997 Northern Colorado graduate with a major in kinesiology and a minor in biological sciences.

pj

Reaction Score
There's such a thing as overtraining, if you never rest you can't perform well. To perform well in a game, you can't be lifting in the days immediately prior. You also can't practice optimally immediately after lifting. That reality limits the ability to do high intensity lifting during the season. So you build up muscle in the offseason, then nurse it through the season as best you can.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Tell me this was Lyle McCombs...

I'd love to hear that he's shooting for 175 pounds next year. Ugh.

Reaction Score
Uhhh you out of shape = cant make it down the staires without losing breath.

d1 football player out of shape = 40 time going from 4.4 to 4.45

you out of shape = lose to your kid at pick up basketball in the backyard.

d1 football player out of shape = bench press went from 275 to 265

Reaction Score
. You will always hear NFL athletes complain that they are never in better shape than when they report to the first day of training camp.

Something to be said for that observation. Football games and football practice are effective only in getting you in shape for . . . ahhh, well. . . football. Another thought is that these kids are talking about "in shape" the way Dick Vitale talks about his "All Airport Team". You know, the guys that look like they are chiseled from granite, all buff and cut. They look the part, even though that doesn't guarantee they can play at all (Tony Mandrich being the poster boy). On the other hand, Vince Woolfork, Tony Siragusa, the late Alex Karras didn't look like athletes, but man are/were they ever.

Finally, Tweets? Seriously? These are kids and when it comes to texting and Twitter they are numbnuts, sorry to say. Much like their professional brethren they actually believe anyone gives a crap what they're eating or what they're work regiment is. Right? I mean, people don't right?

Unfortunately they are folks who apparently do and so these kids Tweet away without thinking. They forget that in today's Facebook, Twitter world that maybe some discretion is advised. Case in point. . . if I'm a coach I'd make darn sure they were never in a position again to much such a stupid proclaimation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom