Someone please list a 4 guard lineup that won championship! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Someone please list a 4 guard lineup that won championship!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I believe it was an example sarcasm and gentle teasing aimed at some board members who take umbrage with those that disagree with the coaches methods, not so much the not wanting others to disagree with them thing...

Really? Sarcasm and gentle teasing?

It's the same old thing. Poster A targets Geno. Poster B doesn't like it and says so. Poster A accusing Poster B of telling them not to post.

If you side with Poster A's opinion, you agree that he is being censored. And poor Nan get's it from both sides.

Reaction Score

It's the same old thing. Poster A targets Geno. Poster B doesn't like it and says so. Poster A accusing Poster B of telling them not to post.

If you side with Poster A's opinion, you agree that he is being censored. And poor Nan get's it from both sides.
The

It goes both ways,

Reaction Score

Nan Is a Great person from what I have gathered and I never mean to cause undo stress for her, I do apologies to Nan if I have done so. As to your other odd thought, Were is it that I sided with any party concerning a censorship issue ? to assume .... it was a mild statement that those that take issue with those that disagree with coaches practices say the same things as those that pretend they are being censored, not more. Gotta go have a nice afternoon.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Nan Is a Great person from what I have gathered and I never mean to cause undo stress for her, I do apologies to Nan if I have done so. As to your other odd thought, Were is it that I sided with any party concerning a censorship issue ? to assume .... it was a mild statement that those that take issue with those that disagree with coaches practices say the same things as those that pretend they are being censored, not more. Gotta go have a nice afternoon.

That extremely LONG post by Frank was a mild statement? And he was siding with another poster that was getting on Geno.

Reaction Score
I liked the Kiah Stef combo. Kiah has just recently been getting more minutes. Hopefully that will continue, however imo thats not why we lost. We have lost twice in a row to ND on the road and imo the reason is UConn dosnt foul but in ND games on the road there are alot of fouls called on UConn and in this game 26 turnovers????? My question is why is UConn called for so many fouls againest and only againest ND on the road???? You can call it a complaint but it is an observation backed by the replay

Maybe someone should call in to the GA show and ask him to clarify that statement. How many fouls can you commit before you fall into the catagory of a team that fouls? Is it 15, 18, 20? Is it just committing more fouls then your opposition? Last year UConn had a handful of games where it committed more fouls then their opponent. At least the FF game total was ballooned from extending the game at the end. UConn committed more fouls then Baylor, Stanford, St. John's, WV, and ND( at least one and another with tied total) in their match-ups last year. The foul totals in those matches were between 17-22 for UConn. There were also quite a few games that foul total differences were just a few. Does that mean that there are dozens of teams that don't foul?

IMO the answer is that it's a false statement. UConn does foul, but only when the talent level is comparable and/or style of play of the opposition is defense based. Those two situations just don't happen very often. Familiarity of the teams come into play too. Doesn't make sense to think that your team doesn't foul against Pacific and Holy Cross so we shouldn't be fouling against Baylor or ND.

Reaction Score
That extremely LONG post by Frank was a mild statement? And he was siding with another poster that was getting on Geno.

Getting on Geno is fair game, both sides try to persuade the other sides opinion, happens all the time, nothing new, nothing out of the ordinary, and yes it was tongue in cheek and mild, and frankly funny, Frank was being gently sarcastic and teasing toward those that take umbrage with those that feel Geno could have done things different and "secured the win". Its nothing to get up about. I do suspect both sides of this argument take themselves far to seriously, but as I said it is nothing to get up about. Got to go to work now, have a great day.

Reaction Score
She didn't have to. Her passing skills were not equal to that of Dolson and her outside shooting was not great - only shot 50% FT. What she did well was defend the paint and rebound. She had 5 assists the year they won the NC - that's for the ENTIRE YEAR! She wasn't passing the ball to anyone.
Well, you are talking as if Dolson is averaging 6 assists, and hitting 15 footers with regularity. All I am saying is that with her at the key all the time she is turned into a guard , when she is 6'5 and and should be cleaning the boards. It's not as if she is Kobe Bryant.

Reaction Score
It's always interesting when people say that they "can't" say certain things. Obviously they can. What they really mean to say is that they don't want other people to disagree with them.
I have a thick skin NAN. I never took anything remarks as be adversarial. This is all open to discussion, hopefully positively. After all , we all LOVE our HUSKIES!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well, you are talking as if Dolson is averaging 6 assists, and hitting 15 footers with regularity. All I am saying is that with her at the key all the time she is turned into a guard , when she is 6'5 and and should be cleaning the boards. It's not as if she is Kobe Bryant.
When you are so absolute about something, it's hard to take it seriously.

She has played plenty in the post, fighting hard for position. It's like you don't watch the games. Maybe the ND game she was at the key more than other games, but certainly for the season, she is in the post many times.

Reaction Score
When you are so absolute about something, it's hard to take it seriously.

She has played plenty in the post, fighting hard for position. It's like you don't watch the games. Maybe the ND game she was at the key more than other games, but certainly for the season, she is in the post many times.
Really, I never miss games, and I guarantee I've seen more basketball than most. If you are telling me that you think Steph is spending most of her time in the low post, then I guess I am blind.

Reaction Score
By the way. I was not getting on Geno. He is a great coach, and husky accomplishments cannot be questioned. I would just like to know "why" huskies are playing 4guard offense with post playing high. If Steph was consistently hitting 15 footers, I would probably love this offense. Huskies would be nearly unbeatable. Some people just don't like questioning status quo.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Really, I never miss games, and I guarantee I've seen more basketball than most. If you are telling me that you think Steph is spending most of her time in the low post, then I guess I am blind.

Did I say most? I said plenty, and that is true.

You said "at the key all the time". Clearly overstating it. This just isn't true.

You're not blind, but you are seeing what you want.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
the 2009 team and the 2010 team, too. It was Tina and 4 players 6' and under.

It all deppends on "How" yoy define a 4 guard offense.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Maybe someone should call in to the GA show and ask him to clarify that statement. How many fouls can you commit before you fall into the catagory of a team that fouls? Is it 15, 18, 20? Is it just committing more fouls then your opposition? Last year UConn had a handful of games where it committed more fouls then their opponent. At least the FF game total was ballooned from extending the game at the end. UConn committed more fouls then Baylor, Stanford, St. John's, WV, and ND( at least one and another with tied total) in their match-ups last year. The foul totals in those matches were between 17-22 for UConn. There were also quite a few games that foul total differences were just a few. Does that mean that there are dozens of teams that don't foul?

IMO the answer is that it's a false statement. UConn does foul, but only when the talent level is comparable and/or style of play of the opposition is defense based. Those two situations just don't happen very often. Familiarity of the teams come into play too. Doesn't make sense to think that your team doesn't foul against Pacific and Holy Cross so we shouldn't be fouling against Baylor or ND.

Why didn't you ask him yourself?

Reaction Score
Cafe Poliziano

Cafe Poliziano and Magic, sorry you were not informed...Section 4, Artical three, segment 1A...On this board you are not allowed to suggestion Geno is making coaching mistakes or Challange Doty's play or her playing time...e.g. playing four guards...shame on you as John A. would say go to your corner.... But I could not agree with with you more. For whatever reason Geno is intent much like he was in the NC last year to live and die by playing is "nominated players", not giving the NC the best shot by giving experience to players that could be better long term prospects. Yeah we beat up on the easy teams, but look at the trend...Look at all the big games that Doty has played in Since Nat'l Championship 2010....Final Four, Baylor, Stanford, ND (exclude T A&M). When do we give the rest of the team a chance? Imagine if he actually started KLM, Hartly, Ferris, Stokes and Dolson. Go back and watch the ND game midway through the second half. When that line up was in, they were playing like the old days, having fun, being creative, moving the ball. Then Geno came to his senses and got Stokes out of there and put in Dolson, and then Doty and Hayes came back in....and ooops there goes the lead.......Oh did you notice Geno Yelling at everybody like KLM leading scorer and Hartly could not even say good job to after lighting up ND. No was too buys smiling at Doty and telling her good job for punching the ball out of the defenseless ND player hand well after the whistle blew with about 1:30 left or saying better try next time when she missed that layup at the end of regulation. Sorry Magic...this year you need to sit back and just accept that we are going to win or loose with the name starting five no matter what......BTW did you notice who was on the flow at the end of over time.....hum why are your starters not on the floor?

Anyway, Magic, had to say it even though the moderators are going to burn me at the stake.....

I agree you should burn at the stake!! We can't have all this losing--4 games in 4 years. Geno is making too many mistakes. Before going overboard on Stokes as a saviour look at her defensive play in the game. By the end of the year my guess is that both Stokes and Banks will have earned a lot of minutes and there will be a 8-9 person rotation.

Frank

Roundabout
Reaction Score
Chuckle, really NCorBust. I found it amusing that 8 minutes after I said I would get burned at the stake, the first comment did not approach the analysis I put forward, only a misspelling, Raleigh???[actually Really but I thought I would have fun]. Actually, I missed stated/spelled a couple of words, but I would be the first to jest of my long Steve Martin nose (Roxanne), but not of others. At times on here when somebody posts a controversial position, it becomes mop mentality to attack the person [Doesn't like to be wrong], instead of engaging the "what if" possibility. "Stop the ranting, Where is the ignore button when you need one..Ditto that, Geno is the best...who are you to question him, It's been one loss and the sky is falling, Geno knows BB better than all, and as Johnathan wants - Should be burned at the stake {That Salem witch [Frank] - Known because Frank quacked like a duck} ....I have been following the ups and downs of the UCONN men and women since the 80's, and an avid reader of this board, and enjoy John A weekly Chat's. Many fun to read, informative, smart and inspiring people like FREDDYKOOL, PolarBear with a capital B, HuskyNan, DoggieDaddy, and even yourself have great input that makes my day and I really enjoy reading. Nobody is attacking the Geno's career, just challenging a moment in time that possibly could have another answer. Are you saying Geno cannot consider other combinations? Wasn't that what he did last night? Controversial opinions sometimes need a little room to grow without the messenger being attacked, you never know they just might be right sometimes....and perhaps I was a bit too sarcastic for most to enjoy in my last comment so I will just have to practice my blogging [Starting with shorter replies in the future...chuckle]. Thank you for adding some clarity Cafe.....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Frank I think Geno has tried different combinations the last three games. Some of them were really interesting, Kiah and Stef, five guards, Kiah and Brianna both getting more time. Other combinations with Kelly and Bria on the bench. He has done a lot of mixing and matching. To me that says less that he is frustrated by the team play, especially, if you read his comments and more that given practice he sees more options that need to be tested in game situations.

This is a good sign.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
the 2009 team and the 2010 team, too. It was Tina and 4 players 6' and under.

It all deppends on "How" yoy define a 4 guard offense.

IIRC, Maya was always listed as a Forward, and in many quotes and on-camera comments from Maya it was clear she also self-identified as an 'inside player'. She took that as a point of pride--despite her love for 3-pointers.

Lord knows she spent plenty of time scoring from the perimeter, moving in and out of the lane, but ...... those weren't 4-guard starting lineups in 2009-10, despite Maya's 6'0" height. I see Kelly as more of a real hybrid. At times she plays the 4, other times not. At times she guards the opponents' 4, other times the 2. And I think she is listed as a Guard, besides the fact that Geno often refers to this year's lineup as a 4-guard lineup, something I don't recall hearing in the salad days of 2009-10. And we spend more time running a high-post + 4 guards offense than in those days.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I realize that Mike but I wanted to note that at 6' she easily could be designated a guard as could have Kalana by size, Maya did play a lot of time up high like a guard taking shots from guard type positions on the court. My point is that much of the identifying of players is rather arbitrary. There were times that Geno referred to four guard line ups the last two years.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I realize that Mike but I wanted to note that at 6' she easily could be designated a guard as could have Kalana by size, Maya did play a lot of time up high like a guard taking shots from guard type positions on the court. My point is that much of the identifying of players is rather arbitrary. There were times that Geno referred to four guard line ups the last two years.
I think Geno's primarily interested in getting his best players on the floor. Generally speaking if you recruit like UConn does, your best five should be better than your opponent's, and If you've got a distinct talent advantage, small and fast/big and tall/etc. is a mismatch in your favor. It also helps recruiting to preach and demonstrate this approach. Geno can always say that in his 1998 class, Swin, Ashjha, and Tamika all played basically the same position in high school, but he found a way to get them on the floor at the same time. That resonates with kids looking at the projected depth chart.

However, this year doesn't have quite the marquee player(s) previous incarnations have, and as a result, there are a few teams out there who can create matchup issues for UConn. Geno seems to be doing everything he can in response as far as developing posts, tinkering with different lineups, etc. It may prove to be enough this season, and if it isn't, the team will still be that much better for it (and the cavalry is coming next season).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom