Someone explain the Granting of TV rights to me please | The Boneyard

Someone explain the Granting of TV rights to me please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When the Big12 talks about granting rights for 13 years. Is that a method of keeping teams around because, if they were to leave, the league would own the TV rights to that team for 13 years? SO if Mizzou moved to the SEC the SEC could not televise them and collect any money because it would go to the Big 12? or am i totally missing the boat on this? Maybe I should just ask whats the good of a 13 years rights agreement?

Reaction Score
That's it, you've got it. Any money made off televising those teams in those markets reverts to the conference. Makes teams much less attractive for new conferences.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Or they would have to negotiate their media rights in addition to the regular buyout.

The immediate underlying issue is the 2016-17 contract which is promised at $20 million. A team electing to stay in the B12 wants that number in ink for whatever the length of that contract might be--that's where the 13 years comes in. The 6 was to guarantee that the contract would get signed which is somewhat meaningless.

Imagine the worst case scenario: Texas and Oklahoma got to the SEC in 2017 and the new contract is negotiated down from $20 million to $13 million when re-opened . Missouri looks stupid for not leaving for the SEC in 2011 after both teams tried to throw Missouri under the bus in 2010 and 2011.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
From what I understand (and it is six years by the way) any member who leaves the B-12 will have to pay to the conference all (non local) television revenues it receives for the conference to distribute equally to its membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom