Some Very Interesting Words from Kevin Ollie, Rick Barnes | The Boneyard

Some Very Interesting Words from Kevin Ollie, Rick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That is a tremendous read. Thanks for posting. Especially love Barnes's comments about Calhoun. Great insight on Kevin, too.

Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Love that Austin Croshere anecdote.

Barnes duck*ed that up.

Travis got to UConn a year before they recruited Croshere.

Howie actually got a commitment from Croshere, but had to call Austin and retract the offer after speaking to Calhoun. UConn wanted and got a commitment from Kirk King which left Croshere to land at Providence.

I think Barnes left Providence at the end of Croshere's freshman season where AC scored about four points a game, so I'm fairly sure he's just regurgitating something he read in a Calhoun article last month.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Barnes duck*ed that up.

Travis got to UConn a year before they recruited Croshere.

Howie actually got a commitment from Croshere, but had to call Austin and retract the offer after speaking to Calhoun. UConn wanted and got a commitment from Kirk King which left Croshere to land at Providence.

I think Barnes left Providence at the end of Croshere's freshman season where AC scored about four points a game, so I'm fairly sure he's just regurgitating something he read in a Calhoun article last month.

The version of the story that I recall, as told by Howie I believe, involved Kirk, not Travis. Pretty funny in any event.

Reaction Score
Anyone think KO will bust his asst.s b4lls the way JC did? During a game?

Uh no. He doesn't have it like that. Remember he was promoted over his assistants, which is already precarious for him, no need to make it worse.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Really interesting stuff.

The biggest takeaways for me:

1) While I'm not expecting KO to get bounced from any games, it was interesting to note that Miller is the de facto #2 guy.

2) Even privately, KO won't b*tch about the 7-month contract. The dude is grateful for the opportunity, passionate, and confident. He's not concerned.

3) As much as the media hates Calhoun, boy do most coaches respect and -- gasp! -- even like him. For every Gary Williams, there are a Barnes and (surprise, surprise) Coach K who think JC's not just a fantastic coach but a solid person.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My memory is getting more shot as the years go by...but the Travis reference didn't sound right. But seeing JC spin around yelling "Wrong guy!!" is too funny.

I'm sure he shouted "Wrong %@^#$! guy!!!", tho.

Reaction Score
http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2012/10/some-very-interesting-words-from-kevin.html

He added that there's a running joke around the players that "Coach Ollie is different now," moving from head coach to assistant, "but they understand what’s on the line, and putting on that UConn jersey is something special.”

Seem to read or hear something like this a few times a week regarding the 1 year contract. Barnes makes it pretty obvious here that that it will hinder him in recruiting, and that other schools will use it against him. Hopefully 2013 recruits look past it and he is signed long term at the end of the season.

The more I think about this hire the more unique and appealing it becomes. We have a true NBA mentor as our coach who can really relate to the kids he is coaching. He has that going for him now, and then by the time he gets older he will have some great seasons and players under his belt to turn to.

Easy things to say before the guy coaches a game. Was optimistic about the PP hire in theory also haha.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that KO seems to want to stay and gives no indication that he is looking or will be looking to go elsewhere no matter how well he does next year. UCONN is a top of the food chain coaching position and KO stills bleeds UCONN blue. Good read even if the facts were not 100% correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom