Some thoughts | The Boneyard

Some thoughts

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Forever Tenn played close to home because they had the biggest fan base. Did they have an advantage? U Bet they did. Pat won 8 NC's. Think about that for this year and I mentioned this in another thread. What team wants to face a healthy UConn team now? What would be fair? We saw a depleted UConn beat Depaul Creighton and Tenn pretty bad.

Now that you've all seen Azzi what do you think? We beat up on a good Tenn team without Paige Caroline and Dorka playing only a few minutes. I think many of our UConn fans are beginning to think like me. lol We are a very very strong team lead by guards who can put up alot of points in a short amount of time. More importantly they are playmakers. Some top teams dont have great guards at least none have a Paige Azzi and Caroline. NONE. Guards lead teams to championships and UConn has'em. There will comparisons of Paige and Azzi and Diana and Sue. Right now Paige and Azzi have to show they can do what Diana and Sue have done....and they will.

I caught some flack early in the season when I said I was told Azzi resembles (is not Maya but resembles) Maya Moore. I also mentioned that Azzi is as good as Paige. I was told that by people who know. Some of you didnt believe me. Some of you who dont know me dont know what I know and some of you who know me know I know. I dont post BS. For those of you who are new to this board I wanna say there are people who post to this board that have sources, connections and know alot about what is going on Try to read inbetween the lines when you read posts. For those of you who dont, who these posters are, dont ask who they are. Those people remain quiet for good reasons.

Back in the day when Geno and UConn were taking over WCBB there was alot of hate. Some people didnt want to see that happen. Geno and UConn have put WCBB at another level and fans should be grateful. You think its easy to do what Geno has done for not only UConn but WBB as a whole.

If UConn continues to blow out everybody and I think we're at that point now to consider it. Its only fair to leave UConn in CT. For no other reason then UConn has earned the right to host the regionals. After all why do you think they are having a Regional in Bridgeport? They are having it in Bridgeport because UConn draws big and is willing to pay alot of money especially in lower Fairfield County to see their Huskies. You dont think they scheduled Bridgeport for some other team do you?? You think when they held the Regionals in Tenn they did it for some other team to host????

The selection committee has a problem. UConn is getting healthy and coming back and stronger then ever. You could see this over the past few games. Yesterday we saw vintage UConn. Vintage UConn is a team that can pass the ball, and execute UConn basketball and it almost doesnt matter who they put on the floor they run their plays and score. I remember a few years back when UConn was hit with injuries and was entering their OOC schedule. Maryland Penn St and a couple of other top 10 teams. UConn had injuries to KML and I think it was Bria Hartley and one other key player. Fans were concerned. We won every one of those games because we were able to plug in players who could run/execute Genos plays. Thats what we did against Tenn and we did it without Paige Caroline and for the most part Dorka. As big and as tall and as strong as Tenn is they couldnt handle it.

I kinda get the impression from reading the board that we have some believers. Believe UConn can win it all. I think with a healthy team we can dominate any team in WCBB for the rest of the season and the next 2 seasons looking forward. The biggest question now is how will opponents defend us. Going into the NCAAs we have Paige Azzi and Caroline hitting from deep and for the most part will be shooting over 50% for the game. How do you defend all of them without leaving one of them open. We're gonna get a good taste of what to expect from UConn over the next few weeks. When Paige gets back and I think that will be towards the end of this month. She will be the one missing piece that puts UConn over the top. More importantly we have a young BIG 3 coming back for a few more years. We also have veterans in Christyn Liv Dorka and Evina who can lead these young stars with their experience. Their leadership will be very important down the stretch.

Over the past few games we've seen alot of players reach a new level of play and you know what? Theyre gonna get better. This is what happens in February players reach another level of confidence and they believe they can do it.

Who is the selection committee going to have UConn face?? The selection committee has a tuff choice to make. On Selection Day....The first thing every coach and every team is going to look at is where they're scheduled to play and the second thing they will look at is where is UConn.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'm just here waiting for the Gamecock fans to start bragging about their guards...to start with :).

Reaction Score
I'm just here waiting for the Gamecock fans to start bragging about their guards...to start with :).
Nope. We won’t brag about our guards - on offense for sure. But they can play some mean defense.

In fact, why brag? We are who we are. You are who you are. If we meet again this year, we’ll se what really is - on that day. THEN will be a time for bragging - until next year.

Reaction Score
After reading your post doubt started to creep into my head. Then I remember two things: First, this is the same thing almost verbatim that I read before we met in November. Second, I believe Dawn built her team to counteract what UConn does well. She did not take those early beatings because she likes to lose. The pretty passes and the wide open 3s will be very scarce. Remember, the last 3 games UConn half-court offense has not been that great against SC. We will run you off the 3-point line and dominate you on the boards. I wish we would have played you in January because you have a short memory my friend. I won't predict a victory because anything can happen in the tournament. Winning and losing can be razor thin. Also, there is a good chance we may not cross paths.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
After reading your post doubt started to creep into my head. Then I remember two things: First, this is the same thing almost verbatim that I read before we met in November. Second, I believe Dawn built her team to counteract what UConn does well. She did not take those early beatings because she likes to lose. The pretty passes and the wide open 3s will be very scarce. Remember, the last 3 games UConn half-court offense has not been that great against SC. We will run you off the 3-point line and dominate you on the boards. I wish we would have played you in January because you have a short memory my friend. I won't predict a victory because anything can happen in the tournament. Winning and losing can be razor thin. Also, there is a good chance we may not cross paths.
Yikes. I guess there aren't enough SC threads on the General board to keep you entertained and you're already bored with Volnation.

If your team is that good, how did you lose to Missouri? I guess not motivated enough against your hated archrival? Or did Dawn forget to build her team to counteract what Missouri does well?

Reaction Score
Yikes. I guess there aren't enough SC threads on the General board to keep you entertained and you're already bored with Volnation.

If your team is that good, how did you lose to Missouri? I guess not motivated enough against your hated archrival? Or did Dawn forget to build her team to counteract what Missouri does well?
Well, there was a bit of a cbaiting by @Centerstream

Some fish bite; some turn and swim away - as I am doing again. :)

Reaction Score

Actually, I enjoy reading Tonyc threads.

Reaction Score

I am not trying to get into a debate of what team is better. UConn chance of winning it all is just as good as SC. I have no excuse for SC losing to Missouri. They were just better that night for some reason. My main point is that due to matchup it is not always going to look that easy.

Did you think I was being disrespectful in my previous post? If so, have the moderator take it down. I am not trying to get into a back and forth on this thread so I will leave it here.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well, there was a bit of a cbaiting by @Centerstream

Some fish bite; some turn and swim away - as I am doing again. :)
True enough. I'm sure it's not always easy to refrain.

I am not trying to get into a debate of what team is better. UConn chance of winning it all is just as good as SC. I have no excuse for SC losing to Missouri. They were just better that night for some reason. My main point is that due to matchup it is not always going to look that easy.

Did you think I was being disrespectful in my previous post? If so, have the moderator take it down. I am not trying to get into a back and forth on this thread so I will leave it here.
You're fine. Just being a fan. I will have our man's back, that's all. If only I could have some of his boundless optimism rub off on me ...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I was not trying to post clickbait material @visitingcock . I only posted it because in other threads, Gamecock posters would post about their team and their guards, Destanni, Zia and Brea and how they played against us in November. I probably got the theme of the OP wrong because I thought it was (subliminally) really about us vs the Gamecocks if we were to meet again this season. Like I said, I probably got the message wrong.

Reaction Score
The only UCONN vs South Carolina game that matter is
the next one, maybe in Minneapolis ?? The real discussion
starts after that tipoff!!!! and " may the best team win "???
I suspect that each team may be on opposite sides of the draw??

Reaction Score
I kinda get the impression from reading the board that we have some believers. Believe UConn can win it all. I think with a healthy team we can dominate any team in WCBB for the rest of the season
It has been a very difficult season. Then I saw your post. Now I’m a believer.

Reaction Score
OK... point made... BUT, opponents can lay off Paige and Caroline at their own peril. ;):D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Thats because defenses are and key on them. Put Paige in the lineup and they cant key on them and their percentages will go up.

Reaction Score
Uconn with Paige puts them in the conversation with Stanford, SC and NC State. Even some other teams could win it all. I'm a women's basketball fan and a Uconn fan. Of course we can appreciate the other teams. I think any of them could win on any given night assuming Paige comes back strong. SC crunched us like a bug not too long ago. Each of these teams have incorporated Freshman or transfer window talent more since the beginning of the year. What is very encouraging for Uconn fans is that both Azzi and Caroline look like major contributors going forward. Starting level players who potentially fix the biggest weakness of our team earlier in the year. The lack of outside shooting and 3 point shooting especially. Those two players are potentially game changers for us and we need that against SC
's front line. It's interesting that SC has struggled some recently with their 3 point shooting. If Paige comes back strong we may have an edge there now. Stanford does as well.

Reaction Score
I actually think the next meeting if there is one will be different, because like Missouri,we’ll have at least 3 3pt shooters if not 4 and that will spread South Carolina’s defense… I think if Paige,Azzi,Caroline,Muhl and if Westbrook and Chrystin get hot from the 3… UConn can be Nasty!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It has been a very difficult season. Then I saw your post. Now I’m a believer.

I can't understand why they are not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, considering some of bands and others that are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom