Some thoughts on the game | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on the game

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Big Mak knocked down 2 treys. This is exactly what she needed and I hope this breaks the ice for her. If it does we have one more 3 pt shooter that will draw the defense out to guard opening the middle for more dribble drives and hopefully get us to the foul line alot more. One thing this season that has hampered us is not getting to the line which is two fold. Its easy points and it gets opponents in foul trouble. Anna knocking down treys will also get us one more player scoring in double figures and that will breed confidence not only to Anna but the entire team and we wont be dependent on the core 4 to do all the scoring.

We shot 50% from the field and from trey range and everybody played. Thats big before the Thanksgiving break. We've come a long way already this season and we still have a long way to go but I see signs that we are beginning to come together. Just watching Molly Anna and Kyla is fun. Theyre running the plays with confidence. Molly taking charge of the offense last night getting players set up when she brings the ball up the court.

Im not going into individual plays to much however Kyla and Mak hitting treys will lift this team to another level. Right now Geno has the team playing to their strengths. Yeah we're not as quick overall as some Uconn teams of the past but Geno knows our limitations and has the girls playing to their strengths.

So now we have a few days off and a week off til our next game and we need it to heel. Seaton Hall and then ND. Both games we should prevail easily. I like were we are right now. We are not where many fans want us to be but we're getting there. I saw the non starters but up a combined double digets which we will need every night. I saw Mak knock down 2 treys with confidence which we will need going forward. Patience fans We're improving each game. We're getting there.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless to all

Reaction Score
above all, we need to get healthy. Lot's of chicken soup

I love how exciting this team is because you have absolutely no idea who is going to step up.
I haven't seen the replay yet. I'm planning to do that soon. I've read enough here from Tony and the BY to have a good idea of what I'll see. As I posted before the game, Crystal's absence and the game's setting was an opportunity for everyone to step up, both individually and also as a team. I think I'll see that. I'm looking forward to it.

...and BTW, here it'll be (lots of) TURKEY soup, sandwiches, and casserole. Hope everyone enjoys what is often a special day

...and it just occurred to me to include those who are elsewhere and not be able to do so, especially those in service to our country and to those in need.

Reaction Score
What Tony said!

I agree with health and happiness. A very strong key to success. But one thing is going to be interesting: how will they play against teams with extra ordinary height and talent like Oregon and Baylor which also have some bench strength.

Reaction Score
What I found interesting was when Ania came in for Molly and essentially became the point guard. That is also when UConn went on a run and put the game away.

Dayton knew Bent was not a threat to shoot the ball so her defender sagged way off. This clogged up the lane and allowed her defender to double down on entry passes into the post. Bent played well, but she is going to have to be more aggressive on offense in order to keep her defender honest. When Makurat came in and quickly made a couple 3 pointers in forced Dayton to guard her and thus opened up the lane for UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big Mak knocked down 2 treys. This is exactly what she needed and I hope this breaks the ice for her. If it does we have one more 3 pt shooter that will draw the defense out to guard opening the middle for more dribble drives and hopefully get us to the foul line alot more. One thing this season that has hampered us is not getting to the line which is two fold. Its easy points and it gets opponents in foul trouble. Anna knocking down treys will also get us one more player scoring in double figures and that will breed confidence not only to Anna but the entire team and we wont be dependent on the core 4 to do all the scoring.

We shot 50% from the field and from trey range and everybody played. Thats big before the Thanksgiving break. We've come a long way already this season and we still have a long way to go but I see signs that we are beginning to come together. Just watching Molly Anna and Kyla is fun. Theyre running the plays with confidence. Molly taking charge of the offense last night getting players set up when she brings the ball up the court.

Im not going into individual plays to much however Kyla and Mak hitting treys will lift this team to another level. Right now Geno has the team playing to their strengths. Yeah we're not as quick overall as some Uconn teams of the past but Geno knows our limitations and has the girls playing to their strengths.

So now we have a few days off and a week off til our next game and we need it to heel. Seaton Hall and then ND. Both games we should prevail easily. I like were we are right now. We are not where many fans want us to be but we're getting there. I saw the non starters but up a combined double digets which we will need every night. I saw Mak knock down 2 treys with confidence which we will need going forward. Patience fans We're improving each game. We're getting there.

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless to all

UConn's seasons, regardless of its players, always come down to a few key match-ups. Typically, these involve teams like ND, Baylor, SC, and a few others. This year it's Baylor and Oregon. We seem not to lose often to underdogs (ie, almost everyone). [Ask Duke men how that feels.] As I wrote a few weeks ago, we may very well come into the Baylor game undefeated. That's the good news. The bad news is that until Baylor we won't really be tested. With our up and down team this year, we'll just have to wait until next year to see what we have.
Every year at this time I feel especially thankful for the UConn women and the light they bring to the seemingly long dark winter months. Bless them and all of the BYers who continue to believe.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that Molly is having some issues with shooting because of the wrap on her shooting hand. she won the 3-pt shooting contest during the teams opening night festivities over CD, Meg, and Mak, without the wrap. Whatever the wrap is for she seems to favor passing instead of shooting.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I believe that Molly is having some issues with shooting because of the wrap on her shooting hand. she won the 3-pt shooting contest during the teams opening night festivities over CD, Meg, and Mak, without the wrap. Whatever the wrap is for she seems to favor passing instead of shooting.
I hope that this game has convinced Geno that when that "wrap" comes off, Molly should get 10-12 minutes per game as PG, backing up Crystal. It will preserve Crystal for the end of the season and give Molly the seasoning she needs to fill in when (due to fouls or injuries) Crystal or Christyn can't play 35-40 minutes.

Reaction Score
You make a valid point, but we have yet to see Molly being aggressive with respect to shooting...particularly the " three," which you say she excels at. But she did show evidence of being a capable replacement for Dangerfield, when needed. And like most athletes,I think she does better as she gets into the flow of the game. It is hard to excel when covering for Dangerfield for under two minutes.

Reaction Score
above all, we need to get healthy. Lot's of chicken soup

I love how exciting this team is because you have absolutely no idea who is going to step up.
Is there a report on Ania's injury? And we can only hope that Crystal's " back spasms," are actually that, and not a cover for something else. She really seemed " banged up"in the OSU game, and had trouble getting back up after several hard landings on the court. I am especially concerned, given her relatively recent hip surgery ( though we know none of those details). Anyone have " health" updates? I can't get local newspaper articles because I live in Ca.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Just watched the vidoe of the game and thought it was a solid effort.

Anna looked to be on her way to a strong game before getting injured. Maybe coming off the bench is better for her.

Some nice athletic takes to the hoop by Aubrey.

Steady play from Bent and Irwin. Dayton`s defense did not press the ballhandler very much and I think that helped both of them get into a flow out there, especially Molly. Perhaps it is her thumb, but we have see the reluctance to shoot in prior years as well. Molly needs to let it fly and live with the results. The perfectionist in her is holding her back as much as her thumb.

Walker, Williams, ONO, we are counting on them to carry us every night and they did not disappoint. I like how they are all looking for their shot and are playing aggressively on the offensive end.

The offense was streaky and way too many missed layups, but good enough and very good from three point range. Good ball movement and offensive flow, again probably helped by Dayton`s lack of pressure. Our defense was very stingy, again. This is a pretty fun team to watch.

Evelyn is painting by the numbers and not looking to the hoop. That is understandable. I hope it looks different in February.

Two encouraging observations on the injury front. First, ONO was still on the floor at the end of a 38 point blowout. If she was in a lot of pain, she would not have been out there at that point. She also said afterward that she felt better than against OSU. She had 7 blocks - how many if she were fully healthy?

Second, it looked like Anna`s left foot/ankle turned or got stepped on with about 4 minutes to go in the second quarter. She walked to the locker room under her own power with a slight limp. She came out and played the first two minutes of the third quarter before being taken out. When she came out, she sat on the bench and no one was providing any medical assistance, not even ice as far as I could tell. She looked ok running up and down and defending, but not 100%. In any event, this looks pretty minor to me and I would expect her to be back for Seton Hall on December 5.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She has always shied away from shooting the ball since she has been at UConn.

Reaction Score
Aubrey did well in the game despite her limited minutes. She brings defensive pressure Anna does not, streeks to the hole that Anna could only dream about, has a very decent mid range shot, and can out jump Anna even if Anna is on a 3 foot stool. I hear alot of hope about Anna's shot IS coming around and you can point to the last game, before she got hurt, that she buried a couple of 3s but considering the whole body of work thus far (6 games) she is not as electrifying as Aubrey. I am sure posters will say Aubrey is a spark off the bench but consider all the negative playing minutes Anna is in there not producing. I am a johnny on lately, show me what you have done lately - not projected hopes of someone turning the corner. Aubrey as the 5th starter would be awesome.

Reaction Score
I hope that this game has convinced Geno that when that "wrap" comes off, Molly should get 10-12 minutes per game as PG, backing up Crystal. It will preserve Crystal for the end of the season and give Molly the seasoning she needs to fill in when (due to fouls or injuries) Crystal or Christyn can't play 35-40 minutes.
I saw nothing that would convince me that is the case. Actually, Ania showed much more playmaking ability than Molly. She is a better passer, much more of an offensive threat and has a superior handle, at least IMO.

Reaction Score
I saw nothing that would convince me that is the case. Actually, Ania showed much more playmaking ability than Molly. She is a better passer, much more of an offensive threat and has a superior handle, at least IMO.
Comparing the two, Anna appears the better offensive threat. Molly needs a breakthrough moment, more likely with playing time, when she might be encouraged to continue to the basket with a stop and pop or a layup. If Geno talked to her like he did with Megan, Molly might take more chances. It seems as if Geno will only go to Molly as the last option. Aubrey impresses me with her length, speed and confidence.

Reaction Score
Aubrey did well in the game despite her limited minutes. She brings defensive pressure Anna does not, streeks to the hole that Anna could only dream about, has a very decent mid range shot, and can out jump Anna even if Anna is on a 3 foot stool. I hear alot of hope about Anna's shot IS coming around and you can point to the last game, before she got hurt, that she buried a couple of 3s but considering the whole body of work thus far (6 games) she is not as electrifying as Aubrey. I am sure posters will say Aubrey is a spark off the bench but consider all the negative playing minutes Anna is in there not producing. I am a johnny on lately, show me what you have done lately - not projected hopes of someone turning the corner. Aubrey as the 5th starter would be awesome.
No need to trash Anna in order to praise Aubrey. That said, if you truly want to make a side by side comparison, you should also take account of Anna's virtues and Aubrey's deficits, and also consider how well the people on the floor complement one another. Finally, being electrifying isn't everything, or even the most important thing when it comes to team basketball. Gabby Williams was electrifying from the get go. It took her a minute to become a complete basketball player.

Reaction Score
I think that will happen, but she is not ready to start. She doesn't know the UConn system ( the offense, I mean ) well enough yet. She is also a "true freshman,"as they say. Needs time to grow and build muscle tone. But I have no doubt she will be a major contributor to this team's success. As an aside, it is really not important who starts and who comes off the bench, in Geno's system. But she is an excellent recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom