Some thoughts on "showing up". | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on "showing up".

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
All of this disrespectful drivel about players “not showing up” just absolutely gravels my posterior. “Not showing up” has definite connotations of a lack of either interest, effort or intestinal fortitude on the player’s part. The fact of the matter is that a player can be determined to win, play her butt off, be absolutely fearless, and still have a bad game. If UConn beats Memphis by 40 or so tonight, and one of our players, say, for example, Chrystal goes 3 for 18, (it could happen) no one is going to accuse her of “not showing up”. It is only when one of our kids has a bad night against a good team, that a lot of posters take it upon themselves to attribute it to a lack of interest or of guts. IMHO, it is damned ridiculous. The other side of that coin is the judgement that the player “tried to do too much. She should relax and let the game come to her.” Well whatthehell does THAT mean? Where is the golden mean between “not showing up” and “trying to do too much”?

Every young woman on our team wants to win, prepares physically and mentally to the best of her abilities, and busts her butt on every play. To imply otherwise is ignorant and sometimes rises to the level of slander. No matter how prepared a player might be, sometimes the shots won’t fall, the rebounds won’t come to her, she gets her pocket picked by some other player who sees an opportunity and takes it, or she just has an all-around bad day (Ever had one of those? Ever have one when you were, say, 19?). When Ann Strother had three freebies against Notre Dame, with time expired and the Huskies trailing by two, she missed two of them, not because she choked, not because she couldn’t stand pressure, but simply because sometimes the shots just won’t fall. It happens. End of screed. And, imho, of course.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Incidentally, I don't think that we have ever had a player who put her body on the line more fearlessly and consistently than Tiffany Hayes! (Unless maybe Ashley Battle.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When Ann Strother had three freebies against Notre Dame, with time expired and the Huskies trailing by two, she missed two of them, not because she choked, not because she couldn’t stand pressure, but simply because sometimes the shots just won’t fall. It happens. End of screed. And, imho, of course.
People forget that Arike had two FT in overtime against Uconn with ND up 3 and 38 seconds left and she bricked them both and Dangerfield then tied the score. Maybe Uconn should have just fouled her again instead of letting her get a shot off.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A different understanding of not showing up - having no impact on the game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
People also forget that just before Maya's fantastic steal and Ketia's coast-to-coast dash, Renee had missed two freebies that would have won the game. And Renee had plenty of moxie. She just missed them.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Any player can have a bad night shooting, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. In my mind, "Not showing up," means a lack of HUSTLE. You can have a bad offensive game, but if you never slack off on offense or DEFENSE, you HAVE showed up!

Reaction Score
When Ann Strother had three freebies against Notre Dame, with time expired and the Huskies trailing by two, she missed two of them, not because she choked, not because she couldn’t stand pressure, but simply because sometimes the shots just won’t fall.
No way to know this. 'Choking', ie inability to perform well under pressure is a real thing. Not imaginary. Happens to even the best at their sport. They also just happen to miss sometimes. I have played a lot of golf and for me 'choking' has always been a problem. I get very nervous and just can't perform sometimes. Had the same problem with foul shot's in high school.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some of Crystal's comments in the last couple of days have suggested that toughness is an issue perhaps. An Anna remark can be interpreted as the team didn't run its stuff (rattled?).

Reaction Score
Sometimes I play against weak defenders: I can get open easily; and I have all the time in the world to make a shot, over a small player who is never in a million years going to block my shot. Sometimes I shoot 10-12. Sometimes the defense is taller, faster, more physical: getting open is hard work; making a pass requires more precision; driving the lane, the ball might get stripped; I get boxed out hard every time. Sometimes I shoot 1-8 and I probably tried much, much harder to "not show up".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom