Some thoughts on last nites game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on last nites game

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
One thing that should be very clear by now, and even clearer after the Georgetown game, is that reports of UConn's great depth have been greatly exaggerated. This is a 6-player team at most against quality competition.
Not true.

Reaction Score
We beat Tennessee. That's my point. We don't need it.

And when you press like Georgetown did to Villanova, it didn't tire Nova out. Because they were able to control the tempo. And if the opposing team can control tempo- those 18-21 year olds that are controlling the tempo won't tire out. So what good is the deep bench in this circumstance? It can keep your best players off the floor. That's not good. imo

And I don't understand your Nika point. You mention "3 minutes." So you are okay with Paige playing 37 minutes? In case you want less from her, I'll just also counter though - that it is easier for the offensive player that is now being guarded by Nika on defense to not exert as much energy guarding Nika vs Paige. Matter of fact, with Paige in the game the defense has to scramble to find her because she is such a threat. With Nika in the game and others that aren't so hot shooters then for example, they can sit in a zone and not expend near as much energy defending Nika and UCONN overall.

I understand that "on a good day Nika can give the team a jolt." But on "any day Paige can give the team a jolt." We saw recently even when hurt the superstar, Paige, made the winning play. To further that, we heard Rebecca praise Rae for her defense on Paige in the 1st half but in the 2nd half how many points did Rae score? Very, very few. Maybe she was getting worn down because she had to defend Paige. If Paige only plays 30 minutes instead of 37 - Rae (and the Tenn team) would have had some sort of rest on defense.
Truce. Talking about the Tenn game makes all my points. Newsflash- a couple of plays 38 minutes into that game don't happen and we're sitting with one loss just like everybody else. I get that game in the 80's and no way they can keep up with that.
Hey- does the BY know that Saylor is from the sticks? You can tell them, they'll listen to you. Storrs is big city to her. I bet the world is moving pretty fast for her about now. Blessing for her to get here early. I wish the BY would not expect Saylor to contribute this year. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
If you have cards, you have to play them. Geno has nothing to lose by seeing what Saylor can do. Give her a chance to show whether she can play now or not. Don't assume anything.
A nice fantasy, but she can't contribute at all until she learns the offense and the defense. Can't do that sitting in quarantine.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
What is being missed is the exponential increase in the number of quality players entering women's college basketball, and the quality of coaching as well (even at Tenn.)

Georgetown cannot recruit anywhere near the level of ranked players as does UConn They have suffered catastrophic injuries to many of their best players and as a result are playing with many bench players. Even so, they played remarkably well, with heart and never gave up. They are not there just for the scholarships. They have pride in their game. They clearly have an excellent coach.

Remember what the Miss. State coach was able to achieve with many unrenowned recruits.

So, I think that it is an insult to the Georgetown players and coach, and women's basketball in general, to dismiss the effort it took to beat them.
In addressing your first sentence, which I agree with, I have watched many games this season and found a number of role players helping their teams offensively. I have seen role players shooting more efficiently than UConn players. There are starters on other teams who would see very little time at UConn because their team's system is not as complicated as the read and react system. These players are having a very good season. I see freshmen who were not as highly ranked as UConn's who are thriving at their school. UConn's offensive system has struggled against the better teams the past two seasons. Some of UConn's players are hesitant at times on offense and lost on defense. I was taught that a good coach will not try to make a team fit its system but will fit the system to the talent of the players. Don't tell me about eleven championships won. The players on UConn's team evidently, based on what Geno said, are not responding to his coaching in a positive way. Tennessee tried to hold on to Pat's system and it took it's toll. The team is undefeated but, some players development has been slower than what would be expected from such highly rated recruits. They have a 6'5" player and a 6'3" player on the court at the same time and can't get the ball inside to either of them. Why?? Something is not quite right with the offense. Is it time to stop breaking down new players and building them back up? The breaking down seems to be working but the building up does not.

Reaction Score
So what exactly is not true? It was a six-player team against Tennessee and the Vols are not a top-10 team.
It was 7, Mir and Aaliyah. What's the point? Obviously (or it should be), one advantage to having depth is that you can plugs holes when injuries arise. If we had 5 people out and we were able to plug the holes and beat Georgetown, with no bench at all, does that mean UConn doesn't have depth? Sorry I'm confused. (I know I'm slow.)
I think the question to ponder is could they have beaten Tennessee with PB and Anna out. That could have been fun to watch.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It was 7, Mir and Aaliyah. What's the point? Obviously (or it should be), one advantage to having depth is that you can plugs holes when injuries arise. If we had 5 people out and we were able to plug the holes and beat Georgetown, with no bench at all, does that mean UConn doesn't have depth? Sorry I'm confused. (I know I'm slow.)
I think the question to ponder is could they have beaten Tennessee with PB and Anna out. That could have been fun to watch.

I think we're talking about players who actually play more than five minutes and contribute. McLean had one rebound, foul, and turnover in the Tennessee game. That's depth to you?

Just standing on the floor for a few minutes doesn't represent depth in the sense of anything meaningful. There are college rosters with 15 players, but that doesn't make some of those teams deep.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I'm with you on this.

Reaction Score
I think we're talking about players who actually play more than five minutes and contribute. McLean had one rebound, foul, and turnover in the Tennessee game. That's depth to you?

Just standing on the floor for a few minutes doesn't represent depth in the sense of anything meaningful. There are college rosters with 15 players, but that doesn't make some of those teams deep.
Yes it is. My recollection was that she played 12 minutes. Frankly, as a fan watching the game with a somewhat critical eye, I would not have minded if Mir was on the floor 30 minutes. To answer your question.

Reaction Score
We may have to revise our thoughts about Tennessee. They took down number 12 pretty easily yesterday. To me, they don't appear to be as bad as some think (hope) they are. They aren't as clueless as they were just a few games ago. They seem to play for Kelly and are improving. They actually run offense now.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
So what exactly is not true? It was a six-player team against Tennessee and the Vols are not a top-10 team.
McClean, Muhl, and Edwards are quality reserves and would be starting on teams that don't have a complex offensive system. Tennessee may not be ranked as a top 10 team but tell me what nine teams are playing better ball lately? There is good talent on UConn's bench but most are freshmen. Expectations should be tempered. If they don't develop will that be on the players or the coaches? For instance, Liv should have more offensives move than she has after two plus seasons. Just because Geno did not play Muhl or McClean does not mean they would not have produced.

Reaction Score
McClean, Muhl, and Edwards are quality reserves and would be starting on teams that don't have a complex offensive system. Tennessee may not be ranked as a top 10 team but tell me what nine teams are playing better ball lately? There is good talent on UConn's bench but most are freshmen. Expectations should be tempered. If they don't develop will that be on the players or the coaches? For instance, Liv should have more offensives move than she has after two plus seasons. Just because Geno did not play Muhl or McClean does not mean they would not have produced.
I agree with the tone and point of your post but disagree [vehemently] with your comment on Liv; it is a false narrative. Apparently, opposing coaches think Liv has enough offensive moves in the low post to routinely double or triple team her. Liv has a beautiful drop-step [both ways] and can score easily with either hand. She also has an effective fade-away, spinning clockwise. No, at 6'5" with long arms, Liv does not need a jump hook or any other moves in the low post. I mean, why would you tinker with her very basic, solid moves down low, eh?
In addition, Liv runs the floor and scores in transition as well as a guard and, besides leading the team in rebounding, is adept at putbacks as she showed in the TN game at a crucial time.
And nothing was as crucial in the TN game as her two blocks in the 4th quarter which put a stop to the TN offense.
No, what Liv needs from the coaching staff is equal minutes with the other players on our team who are also vying for All-American honours.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I agree with the tone and point of your post but disagree [vehemently] with your comment on Liv; it is a false narrative. Apparently, opposing coaches think Liv has enough offensive moves in the low post to routinely double or triple team her. Liv has a beautiful drop-step [both ways] and can score easily with either hand. She also has an effective fade-away, spinning clockwise. No, at 6'5" with long arms, Liv does not need a jump hook or any other moves in the low post. I mean, why would you tinker with her very basic, solid moves down low, eh?
In addition, Liv runs the floor and scores in transition as well as a guard and, besides leading the team in rebounding, is adept at putbacks as she showed in the TN game at a crucial time.
And nothing was as crucial in the TN game as her two blocks in the 4th quarter which put a stop to the TN offense.
No, what Liv needs from the coaching staff is equal minutes with the other players on our team who are also vying for All-American honours.
She is easy to guard by players her height and some shorter. Two moves?? A jump hook helps Collier and Boston. Those are basic. The more moves the harder to guard. Coaches have her double teamed because she is taller than their players. I bet SC won't double team her. Neither would SCST or any team with a 6'4" or 6'5" post.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes it is. My recollection was that she played 12 minutes. Frankly, as a fan watching the game with a somewhat critical eye, I would not have minded if Mir was on the floor 30 minutes. To answer your question.

Mir played 5. Anna played 12.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I don't think Muhl would be starting for anyone in the top-25. Mclean maybe but that would not be good for her growth. She's like a wild puppy right now.

We agree about Liv, but if Geno isn't playing Muhl or Mclean there's a good reason.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I don't think Muhl would be starting for anyone in the top-25. Mclean maybe but that would not be good for her growth. She's like a wild puppy right now.

We agree about Liv, but if Geno isn't playing Muhl or Mclean there's a good reason.
I am not thinking about growth. Horston has been starting for almost two seasons and has shown little growth, as has some other flowers but . I believe you are wrong about Muhl. I believe Muhl could start for Tennessee. They need a point guard and if allowed to start would perform better than the guards they have. Some of the teams in the top 25 are not stocked with high level talent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I am not thinking about growth. Horston has been starting for almost two seasons and has shown little growth, as has some other flowers but . I believe you are wrong about Muhl. I believe Muhl could start for Tennessee. They need a point guard and if allowed to start would perform better than the guards they have. Some of the teams in the top 25 are not stocked with high level talent.

Tennessee needs stability and shooting in the backcourt and Nika's biggest issues are decision-making and shooting. She's 3-21 from the field and averages 5.5 TO's per 40 minutes.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Tennessee needs stability and shooting in the backcourt and Nika's biggest issues are decision-making and shooting. She's 3-21 from the field and averages 5.5 TO's per 40 minutes.
You don't think that would improve if she were playing more? Decision making in the UConn system is a lot different from decision making at Tennessee. Just how good was Gabby or Collier after only nine or ten games in their freshman season? Decision making was one of her strengths back home. I just think she will be an asset to UConn and you evidently do not. Just different opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You don't think that would improve if she were playing more? Decision making in the UConn system is a lot different decision making at Tennessee. Just how good was Gabby or Collier after only nine or ten games in their freshman season? Decision making was one of her strengths back home. I just think she will be an asset to UConn and you evidently do not. Just different opinions.
I think Nika will be a terrific asset .. she reminds me of Jen Rizzoti...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A nice fantasy, but she can't contribute at all until she learns the offense and the defense. Can't do that sitting in quarantine.
Longtime, it’s not a fantasy. You’re correct. She must learn enough of the system and be at a minimum level of physical proficiency before she can play. That’s understood and a given. I assumed anyone that read that comment understood that. I didn’t think I had to mention the obvious. I did not mean to suggest that she join the team today, and play tomorrow.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom