Some thoughts on Azzi | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Azzi

Reaction Score
You are right you can't be mediocre and do that you can be down right awful. Holly Warlick brought her teams to the Elite Eight in three of her first four season as head coach of TN. In those same 4 years Holly also won the SEC twice. Cori has had 10 seasons at UCLA and has never won a PAC 12 regular season or tournament championship. During her 10 years in that conference (5) other conference schools (Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and Washington) have advanced to a FF.
UCLA player development under Cori? Well that's on an uptick recently since Michaela Onyenwere was named WNBA rookie of the year for 2021. Before that things were kind of sparse for Cori's former players when it comes to success in the W. Kristine
Anigwe career average in the W is 3.3 PPG. and she was not on a WNBA roster in 2021. Jordan Canada seams to be regressing as Sue's backup in Seattle after showing some promise in her second season. Kennedy Burke and Moniquie Billings are the only former Cori players in the WNBA.
Besides the above what prompted me to call Cori a mediocre coach is the last USA U19 team that she coached recently. Did you happen to catch any of those games? Her team lacked defined roles was at times were defensively indifferent and there were some confounding changes to the starting line up especially in the early games. in contrast the U16 team was organized, had well defined roles and worked much more cohesively. The U16 was coached by a HS coach-Sue Phillips. I was not crazy about Jeff's coaching of the U19 team and although he takes a lot of static here for his recruiting Jeff is a very good coach. Jeff might be considered outstanding especially if you compare him to Cori.
Did Anigwe play for UCLA or cal

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
You are right you can't be mediocre and do that you can be down right awful. Holly Warlick brought her teams to the Elite Eight in three of her first four season as head coach of TN. In those same 4 years Holly also won the SEC twice. Cori has had 10 seasons at UCLA and has never won a PAC 12 regular season or tournament championship. During her 10 years in that conference (5) other conference schools (Oregon State, Oregon, Arizona, Stanford and Washington) have advanced to a FF.
UCLA player development under Cori? Well that's on an uptick recently since Michaela Onyenwere was named WNBA rookie of the year for 2021. Before that things were kind of sparse for Cori's former players when it comes to success in the W. Kristine
Anigwe career average in the W is 3.3 PPG. and she was not on a WNBA roster in 2021. Jordan Canada seams to be regressing as Sue's backup in Seattle after showing some promise in her second season. Kennedy Burke and Moniquie Billings are the only former Cori players in the WNBA.
Besides the above what prompted me to call Cori a mediocre coach is the last USA U19 team that she coached recently. Did you happen to catch any of those games? Her team lacked defined roles was at times were defensively indifferent and there were some confounding changes to the starting line up especially in the early games. in contrast the U16 team was organized, had well defined roles and worked much more cohesively. The U16 was coached by a HS coach-Sue Phillips. I was not crazy about Jeff's coaching of the U19 team and although he takes a lot of static here for his recruiting Jeff is a very good coach. Jeff might be considered outstanding especially if you compare him to Cori.
Um, Anigwe played at Cal for Lindsey Gottlieb who is a truly awful coach.
Let the anger go there my fine colleague, let it go and give it wings...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
once again the Pac 12 getting disrespected. Did people forget that she coaches in a conference of 6+ tournament teams. Idk how many conferences can say that. Arizona, Oregon st, Stanford, Oregon, Ucla, Washington. In my honest opinion she got robbed of a great opportunity in 2020, her team was rolling after upseting Oregon State and then Covid happened and we didn't get a tournament. That team was by far her best and then they lost a couple players to grad including rookie of the year for liberty.
Not sure how responding to my post that the PAC12 was being disrespected when I stated that the PAC12 has ascended to the #1 conference these past few years but yeah they have become the top conference...maybe reread what I wrote.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Not sure how responding to my post that the PAC12 was being disrespected when I stated that the PAC12 has ascended to the #1 conference these past few years but yeah they have become the top conference...maybe reread what I wrote.:rolleyes:
oh that comment wasn't directed at you, I just wanted to add on to your post

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
as Geno readily admits, a coach is only as good as his/her players.........Rueck has proven he can do good things with fair talent........Graves hasn't proven much yet other than that he is an excellent recruiter and a decent coach.......
Um, Kelly has a 554-224 record at three schools, St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and now Oregon. He has proven he can coach

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Did Anigwe play for UCLA or cal
Um, Anigwe played at Cal for Lindsey Gottlieb who is a truly awful coach.
Let the anger go there my fine colleague, let it go and give it wings...
She did my mistake. Another mistake was stating 5 Conference teams to make the FF in Cori's tenure at UCLA it is actually 6 teams with CAL being the 6th.
You can't be considered anything but a mediocre coach (at best) when half the teams in your conference have made the FF and your team has not.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Seeing is believing. Do you want the people in the East to respect the PAC12 teams, well how about the PAC12 network loosening up and allowing the rest of the country to see them play. The SEC, ACC, and BIG networks are readily available for all of us to watch, and we do. We can watch South Carolina, Tennessee, NC State and Louisville many times during the season, but not Stanford, Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon. How are we suppose to acknowledge how great they are if we can't see them play. We know what we see, not what the PAC12 tells us.

Reaction Score
Um, Kelly has a 554-224 record at three schools, St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and now Oregon. He has proven he can coach
I didn't say he was a bad coach, just that he's been a better recruiter based on the number of great talents he's had compared to his big wins or lack there of......

Reaction Score
I didn't say he was a bad coach, just that he's been a better recruiter based on the number of great talents he's had compared to his big wins or lack there of......
Hmmm.....didn't the pandemic rob him of his best chance to win the NC with Ionescu as senior? Didn't he coach Gonzaga to overachieve beyond expected of them for several years running? Hasn't a certain Head Coach in Storrs gone on record lauding his coaching both at Gonzaga and Oregon?

That missed opportunity for an NC when they were heavily favored will sting but life will go on.....and he will continue to coach rather well, I would think.

Reaction Score
Seeing is believing. Do you want the people in the East to respect the PAC12 teams, well how about the PAC12 network loosening up and allowing the rest of the country to see them play. The SEC, ACC, and BIG networks are readily available for all of us to watch, and we do. We can watch South Carolina, Tennessee, NC State and Louisville many times during the season, but not Stanford, Arizona, UCLA, and Oregon. How are we suppose to acknowledge how great they are if we can't see them play. We know what we see, not what the PAC12 tells us.
Sling has 7 PAC-12 channels.
Lots of volleyball on now.
I believe only Sling, FUBO and one other service carry the PAC- 12 channels.

Reaction Score
Back to the subject of Azzi and Geno's comments. I feel that Geno wants players who are exceptionally talented to take charge and exploit their talent. Recall Geno's expressed frustrations with Paige at the start of the season and her slow starts in games when she was deferring to the other players. Azzi, while extraordinarily talented, at times seems content to defer to other players (witness her role for USA basketball this Summer). Geno wants none of that. An Azzi intent on being aggressive offensively make UConn very, very hard to deal with it.

And in the Boneyard vein, another random thought. I think that Evina is going to be very, very good this year. A level beyond what we have seen. Seemingly fully healthy, motivated, spending the Summer playing in a male pro-am league - she could be a handful this year.

When I think about the real possibility of a healthy and motivated Evina, an Azzi taking advantage of her offensive talent, a returning Paige, Christyn playing like she did at the end of last season, an improved Aaliyah, adding in Dorka (and that doesn't even include returning starters Liv and Nika, and sharp shooter Caroline), this could be the most accomplished offensive team that UConn has ever put on the floor. And this is saying something. So when is the that first game again?

Reaction Score
Hmmm.....didn't the pandemic rob him of his best chance to win the NC with Ionescu as senior? Didn't he coach Gonzaga to overachieve beyond expected of them for several years running? Hasn't a certain Head Coach in Storrs gone on record lauding his coaching both at Gonzaga and Oregon?

That missed opportunity for an NC when they were heavily favored will sting but life will go on.....and he will continue to coach rather well, I would think.
OK you convinced me........he's a fantastic coach...........who still hasn't won anything.......:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
OK you convinced me........he's a fantastic coach...........who still hasn't won anything.......:rolleyes:
Now we know how you think.

Let's see, he took over a floundering Gonzaga program and won 10 consecutive conference titles. He took over Oregon and has won three consecutive Pac-12 regular season and two tournament titles. Yet you say he hasn't won anything.

By this measure, Geno Auriemma hasn't won anything in the past six years and all those regular season and tournament titles in the long past don't count either.

I always thought Pete Carril was a great coach but since he only won Ivy League titles, he's has won anything according to you.

So be it......we know you are missing to see good coaching when they are happening elsewhere.....

Reaction Score
Now we know how you think.

Let's see, he took over a floundering Gonzaga program and won 10 consecutive conference titles. He took over Oregon and has won three consecutive Pac-12 regular season and two tournament titles. Yet you say he hasn't won anything.

By this measure, Geno Auriemma hasn't won anything in the past six years and all those regular season and tournament titles in the long past don't count either.

I always thought Pete Carril was a great coach but since he only won Ivy League titles, he's has won anything according to you.

So be it......we know you are missing to see good coaching when they are happening elsewhere.....
stay calm it's just my opinion..........Pete Carill was a great coach even though he never won an NC because he developed a superb offense and was also a defensive genius and won a hell of a lot of games with very average talent.........Over the years I've seen his teams take apart nationally ranked teams without a single player who could even be a walk on on the opponent's bench.............now that's a genius.......

Reaction Score
Here is a thought or 2 about 'thinking like Rice' might be: If it is true (as stated here on the Boneyard) that Rice has a (final?) list of 5 schools-- UCLA, Stanford, Duke, Uconn and Yale; then the joker is really Yale. Why are there there? I have been puzzled about that one school. Now, if it's true that "good" educ is the driving force then why not Princeton, etc.? Thinking like a Rice person, I would say that she is not a basketball nerd as we make her out to be. She is just very good at it. This leads me to put these 5 schools into 3 categories. The first consists of Stanford, Duke and UCLA; the 2nd, Uconn and; the 3rd Yale. Here is the strange reasoning. Rice really is uncertain (perhaps even certain) about wanting to play bb after college; she is, however, willing to play and want a scholarship. She will go to Yale if she gets a full scholarship, and she can play bb and soccer and be satisfied. She finds Duke and Kara intriguing (but Duke was never a school she had an affinity), but there is a cost to be the top dog leading your fellows out of the shadows and into the light when you are not a nerd. UCLA is somewhat like Duke, nice coach but, do I want to put all my energy into all these faces facets! Stanford. Those girls are working their but off for that scholarship. If they have to spend the entire semester in the desert so they and avoid CA lockdown (again) an play-- well so-be-it. (This is where great academics say hello to necessay bb). Lastly, Uconn. No pressure to be this year (or after) model. There are enough hot dogs fighting each other. Enough minutes to keep things running smoothly, and a reasonable chance for a NC without the whole being on your back.
What do I think? Heart-Mind says Yale; but, she is too low-key to handle the national shock. Uconn gets a nod-- but is it quick on the draw!
I watched her 3X3 games this past summer and saw a player giving the spotlight to others while being the critical entity.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is a thought or 2 about 'thinking like Rice' might be: If it is true (as stated here on the Boneyard) that Rice has a (final?) list of 5 schools-- UCLA, Stanford, Duke, Uconn and Yale; then the joker is really Yale. Why are there there? I have been puzzled about that one school. Now, if it's true that "good" educ is the driving force then why not Princeton, etc.? Thinking like a Rice person, I would say that she is not a basketball nerd as we make her out to be. She is just very good at it. This leads me to put these 5 schools into 3 categories. The first consists of Stanford, Duke and UCLA; the 2nd, Uconn and; the 3rd Yale. Here is the strange reasoning. Rice really is uncertain (perhaps even certain) about wanting to play bb after college; she is, however, willing to play and want a scholarship. She will go to Yale if she gets a full scholarship, and she can play bb and soccer and be satisfied. She finds Duke and Kara intriguing (but Duke was never a school she had an affinity), but there is a cost to be the top dog leading your fellows out of the shadows and into the light when you are not a nerd. UCLA is somewhat like Duke, nice coach but, do I want to put all my energy into all these faces facets! Stanford. Those girls are working their but off for that scholarship. If they have to spend the entire semester in the desert so they and avoid CA lockdown (again) an play-- well so-be-it. (This is where great academics say hello to necessay bb). Lastly, Uconn. No pressure to be this year (or after) model. There are enough hot dogs fighting each other. Enough minutes to keep things running smoothly, and a reasonable chance for a NC without the whole being on your back.
What do I think? Heart-Mind says Yale; but, she is too low-key to handle the national shock. Uconn gets a nod-- but is it quick on the draw!
I watched her 3X3 games this past summer and saw a player giving the spotlight to others while being the critical entity.
You make some valid point and I would counter with these:
Her love of Yale might be this simple and have nothing to do with basket ball-Mom and Dad both went there and played sports and are now doing that thing in life called winning because they have raised Kiki and are both CEO.
Ivy league graduates will point out that the Ivy's don't give Athletic Scholarship so attending Yale for Kiki will be on a need basis so good thing Mom and Dad are winning at life ( or is that a bad thing).
Affinity for Duke=Kara because if Kara were not there I'm not Sure KIki would even be considering Duke.
Can you explain what you me by "she (Kiki) is too low-key to handle the national shock".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom