meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
No sympathy, only jealousy. :cool:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
No sympathy, only jealousy. :cool:
Damn jealous...Commander's Palace for dinner, Camellia Grill for breakfast, Cafe du Monde for beignets/chicory coffee and Pat O'Brien's for the best Mint Julep on the planet!

Beignets_CafeMonde.jpg

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Napolean House for Abita, Columns Hotel for Happy Hour/porch sitting...
Abita is good beer. Have a buddy that graduated Tulane Law and I visited NOLA as often as possible back-in-the-day. One indigenous and horrific beer that fit a college budget ($1.05/6-pack, won't mention the decade, except to say that the Jazz still played there, Hot Rod Huntley was their team announcer and they had a guard with shaggy hair, baggy socks who'd drop 40 points almost every outing) is/was Dixie Beer...

dixieplaincan1.jpg

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
The Acme for a mess of crawfish. The Acme or Felix's for ersters on the half shell. Felix's for an erster po' boy. Galatoire's for a grilled pompano.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
A while back, I would've suggested Central Grocery for a muffaletta, but it wasn't nearly as good in '05 as it was when I was first there in '98. But, still, get a muffaletta somewhere :)

Reaction Score
A few years ago, the Wall Street Journal published an article that described New Orleans as the unhealthiest city in which to eat in the entire United States, citing specifically, as I recall, our predilection for oyster loaves (fried oyster poor boys) in particular. Mmmmmm, what a great day! Lots of high fives all over my one-of-a-kind hometown on that occasion!!

Reaction Score
Dont miss Willie Maes Scotch House best chicken ever or Mothers for some amazing food..but dont try the Sazerac drink!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Of all (50+) the cookbooks we have, perhaps the best is "Crescent City Cooking" by Susan Spicer, renowned chef at her restaurant, Bayona. What I wouldn't give to go there with my Amex card!

Reaction Score
For my fellow Boneyarders who don't know what people are talking about relative to the muffaletta sandwich, I offer a bit of unsolicited education, only because it is extraordinarily delicious, especially if one is an olive lover, and also because a surprisingly good version can be made at home (as I do during those months when we live in CT). While most of the special foods for which we are known in New Orleans are seafood based, and arise from our Creole heritage (French, Spanish, African/West Indian), this is purely Italian. It was created over 100 years ago at the afore-mentioned Central Grocery in the French Quarter by an Italian immigrant family, the descendants of whom still own it, and it has never changed. The only thing one cannot replicate at home is the iconic muffaletta bread, a round loaf, about 11" in diameter, covered in sesame seeds, but lots of groceries home-bake round sandwich "hard rolls" that will surprisingly suffice (seeded if possible). If you have access to a good Italian specialty store, get some good genoa salami, some ham, some prosciutto, some mortadella, some sliced mozzerella and some sliced provolone. Build a sandwich with these ingredients, and then add a generous and oily helping of olive salad. There are recipes online for making it, but there is a good version in a jar made by Boscoli which is just fine. Easily found online if you can't find it elsewhere...it's in every grocery store here. It's not necessary, but you can then put this concoction in a sandwich press, as I like to, and crisp up the bread and lightly melt the cheese. Mmmmmm! Go Huskies!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't do olives--can't stand them--so muffalettas are out for me.

Dining is good:

Commander's Palace

Domenica (John Besh)

NOLA (Emeril Lagasse)

Red Fish Grille (Dickie Brennan)

Mother's

Johnny's PoBoy

Yet to come: MiLa and Cafe du Monde

Fat City, so to speak. :)

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Time for some Professor Longhair, some Meters, and to order some ribs . I'll be one step closer to heaven at the end of the day.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm in for something at Luke, Herb Saint, August, Antoines, Acme, Mothers, Cafe du Monde, Galatoire's, and I still have more on the NOLA bucket list to do ...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Stay away from the Hurricanes .... I made that mistake once! (NOT staying away, that is :confused: )

I've only once started drinking at noon and been ferociously hung over by 5 pm, thanks to the Hurricane's and a bizarre rain storm that hit when we were walking by Pat's. Never again ....

Reaction Score
For my fellow Boneyarders who don't know what people are talking about relative to the muffaletta sandwich, I offer a bit of unsolicited education, only because it is extraordinarily delicious, especially if one is an olive lover, and also because a surprisingly good version can be made at home (as I do during those months when we live in CT).

When I was last in the Quarter in New Orleans I ordered a "veggie" Muffaletta ... which was basically the olive mixture & cheese on a roll. The waiter looked at me like I had 3 heads, but they made it for me anyway. Tough being a vegetarian in Creole/Cajun country ... but it was still yummy :)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
When I was last in the Quarter in New Orleans I ordered a "veggie" Muffaletta ... which was basically the olive mixture & cheese on a roll. The waiter looked at me like I had 3 heads, but they made it for me anyway. Tough being a vegetarian in Creole/Cajun country ... but it was still yummy :)

We just got back from dinner, and someone remarked, if you were a vegetarian you were out of luck. I guess they could figure something out, but there were no options on the menu.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
When I was last in the Quarter in New Orleans I ordered a "veggie" Muffaletta ... The waiter looked at me like I had 3 heads... Tough being a vegetarian... :)

Well, hell yes he was staring at you! We all stare at you! It’s got nothing to do with being a vegetarian!

We’re trying to figure out how the heck you trained a pretty lady to follow you everywhere, with her hand under your…. shirt!
(I know; none of my business...)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I can't do olives--can't stand them--so muffalettas are out for me.

Maybe give it a shot. I HATE olives but I figured I'd try the sandwich anyway and love it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Glad to see no one has been hitting the Absinthe at the Absinthe House.

By the way my youth group had great seafood at Mike Anderson's and really liked the appetizer sampler which included gator and other native foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlueWolf25

Top Bottom